The Rock/Dwayne Johnson - The Actor

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
The Rock is widely known as being one of the most popular wrestlers of all-time in the WWF/WWE. During his time in wrestling, he was widely popular for his amazing charisma. After being asked to host SNL, the showcase of his acting/comedic skills lifted him to Hollywood status. His first role was a cameo as the Scorpion King in the 2001 hit The Mummy Returns. He then became a leading actor in The Scorpion King, The Rundown, Be Cool, Doom, and Gridiron Gang, with upcoming roles in The Game Plan and Southland Tales. Again, a bad film does not reflect particularly reflect bad acting. For some who didn't get the memo of the Knoxville thread, I'll ask the question again.

Do you think The Rock/Dwayne Johnson is a credible actor?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now I think that he definitely is a credible actor. He has amazing charisma combined with acting/comedic talent. He has yet to have that breakthrough role, but he will soon enough. Unlike Knoxville, I forsee Dwayne Johnson doing bigger things has years pass.

i think that dwayne 'the rock' johnson is kind of like ben affleck.

he has a lot of on screen charisma, but bad choices when it comes to picking movies.

he has a lot of on screen charisma, but bad choices when it comes to picking movies.

Agree ... The guy does have quality in front of the camera but badly needs a great movie to showcase what he is capable of.

I think he's getting better with each role and he's taking certain films in order to enhance is range. I personally feel his strongest performance was in Gridiron Gang, which in my opinion is an underrated film.

His performance was very emotional, realistic, and honest at the same time.

Dwayne is an ok actor he needs more practice but he s doing a good work. We need guys like him to destroy the myth that ''big guys can't act''. I Like Arnold but he left the filed with a very bad image for the big guys. I think Dwayn also Michael Clarke Duncan wants to change things. Like I said before I am not interested to see 5.7 guy taking the place of 6ft or a 6ft for 6.6'' espacialy in superheroes movie where size does matter.

yeah, i think the rock is a credible actor

he should just stick to action flicks like the rundown and stuff

if john cena can get his own film, why not the rock?

yeah, he was great in GG

Gridiron Gang. I too, enjoyed him in that film. It was a pretty straightforward role, but still one that needed skill to pull off, and the Rock acquitted himself very well. He's definitely getting there, that's for sure.

Thank God Southland Tales finally has a release date. We shouldn't have had to wait over two years for this damn thing!

The Rock is widely known as being one of the most popular wrestlers of all-time in the WWF/WWE. During his time in wrestling, he was widely popular for his amazing charisma. After being asked to host SNL, the showcase of his acting/comedic skills lifted him to Hollywood status. His first role was a cameo as the Scorpion King in the 2001 hit The Mummy Returns. He then became a leading actor in The Scorpion King, The Rundown, Be Cool, Doom, and Gridiron Gang, with upcoming roles in The Game Plan, Southland Tales, and Be Cool. Again, a bad film does not reflect particularly reflect bad acting. For some who didn't get the memo of the Knoxville thread, I'll ask the question again.

Do you think The Rock/Dwayne Johnson is a credible actor?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now I think that he definitely is a credible actor. He has amazing charisma combined with acting/comedic talent. He has yet to have that breakthrough role, but he will soon enough. Unlike Knoxville, I forsee Dwayne Johnson doing bigger things has years pass.

Please tell me they aren't making another Be Cool.

Of all the American action stars out there right now, I think Dwayne is probably the most entertaining to watch and probably the better actor. I would consider him a very capable actor, he's got a willingness to go out there and do whatever is thrown at him. I'm sure he's going to be around for a long time.

He is in Get Smart next summer, that should help.

That Disney film? Who knows.

he's an okay actor, but i wouldn't call him a thespian or anything like that. i don't think he takes acting serious enough to be called a CREDIBLE actor.

I enjoyed him in The Rundown and Walking Tall so he´s alright at this point

Not a chance in hell dude. The Rock still has yet to prove he has any acting talent at all and is not just an entertainer.

I would liken him more to Vin Diesel, but Vin Diesel at least proved he had acting talent recently in 'Find me Guilty.'

Ben Affleck is just a popular actor to hate on for some reason. He is a good actor though, just see 'Hollywoodland'. He got an award for that film and completely "stole the show" as well. So not only does he have screen presence, but good acting abilities as well.

He has to stop being The Rock. Dwayne Johnson needs to play a role that actually requires acting talent and range. And he needs to stop playing football players. Live action Disney comedies do not gain you prestige, Dwayne.

He needs better roles, he needs to break the stereotype of just being a big action star.

he's an okay actor, but i wouldn't call him a thespian or anything like that. i don't think he takes acting serious enough to be called a CREDIBLE actor.

Actually, he does take his acting seriously. It's why he quit wrestling.

The Rock is the best physically storm wrestler good enough to be an actor and we need guys like him for action movies. I mean Arnold was not a performance actor nor Stallone and they a legends. Johnson just has not hit that really big movie like for Stallone Rocky or Arnold Treminator.

That's probably true, he's just in his "Hercules in New York" days still.

Well at least he isn't doing Commando Nanny 2: Electric Boogaloo.

He's a decent actor that could use at least one "Oscar" type film in order to be taken seriously.

Personally I love all his films and think he is very entertaining. His Performance in Walking Tall was awesome and The Rundown was just as great.

Well at least he isn't doing Commando Nanny 2: Electric Boogaloo.

He's a decent actor that could use at least one "Oscar" type film in order to be taken seriously.

Did Arnold or Stallone ever have an Oscar worthy film? :huh:

Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson are GREAT actors in addition to ACTION actors, but I can't name many other big action names that are also great dramatic actors as well.

Also I don't think The Rock is trying to be taken as a dramatic type actor, just an Arnold and Stallone type.

'The Rundown' actually reminded me of an Arnold type action film and he was really good in that film. That's also the film that Arnold "passed the torch" to him.:cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"