The "say something nice about Joey Q" Thread

Marvel needs it's own Infinite Crisis.

Having just read Infinite Crisis for myself recently, I can safely that you're out of your mind. The last thing any company ever needs is an event like Infinite Crisis.

Marvel doesn't need Infinite Crisis, it just needs a conscience.

You obviously are unaware of DC's reasons for having the crisis', Blader. Your personal opinion about the "event" has no bearing on it's influence, affect and purpose. Reading is not understanding. Though I do agree with:

"Marvel doesn't need Infinite Crisis, it just needs a conscience."- Aristotle.

Well, a lot of people would tell you Infinite Crisis was unnecessary. As all it did was put things back into the continuity s**ter they had before the original Crisis. Maybe what you mean is they need a Crisis event to restart the universe, to which I would say, I doubt it. Marvel Fanboys don't like devil magic retcons, i'm sure they wont like universe reboots either.

Yeah, Infinite Crisis was unnecessary. They really should have approached it as a story FIRST, and I think it would have alleviated several of the more pointless aspects of what had the potential to be the best story in ten years. They also should have used it to erase continuity gaffes, NOT to change aspects of continuity that didn't need ****ing with.

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Marvel Fanboys don't like devil magic retcons, i'm sure they wont like universe reboots either.

That retcon's aftermath left Marvel with increased sales, and the most that they did to explain their motives was to have Quesada say it was done to revitalize their icon. Who's to say the same wouldn't occur in a universe-scale reboot, despite many fans groaning over the mere thought?

Who's to say it will! :mad: :o

We still don't really know how well OMD is doing. Comic shops bought a lot of copies, but are they selling? There in lies the question.

How about he saved Marvel from bankruptcy and pushed them to the forefront of the comics industry?

No...Marvel is doing better because of movies and merchandise. And DC is still leaps and bounds ahead of marvel. There is just more marvel talk going around. If by sheer discussion, you mean "forefront", then you're right.

There's nothing more I can say that wasn't already said (and subsequently skimmed over or ignored) in my first post. So if you allow me to repeat a few points..

-DC's characters have grown and changed throughout the years without losing integrity. Marvels have to dampen the name of a character before they can attempt to change them but always seem to move backwards.

I mean look at spidey. Spider-Man went from being married mid-twenties man and possibly having a baby; also having a clone he considers a brother...Into a "Widowed" freshman at college with a re-alive roommate.
-Fans are responding to artists and writers not to Joe's ideas. Most people seem to be like "Well I'm curious as to what will happen now?"...the ones that aren't burning the issues, that is. Not many people are like "Brilliance!"
-Civil War only sold like 2 million-something copies. Highly publicized, not very many sales. Considering it was sold worldwide. We'll always love comics, but they are not the future, and the more that Joe does stuff like this, the more he ensures that his next big "WOW" factor will be even less.

How much did World War Hulk sell? Because wasn't Joe's plan to have Civil War fuel WWH?

I have no problems with giving the man credit. But give him credit for something he did. Don't confuse Hitler with Schindler.

Something nice, something nice ok. I can do this...

Well he-

Nah... umm,

Oh there was that one tim- no... wait, that was someone esle.

Uhh...

I... like his... shoes?

He dropped a ton of weight over a relatively short period of time. That's pretty admirable.

Though I don't like the man he has many positives:

I like everything he initially did when he came to marvel.
He hires some good talent.
He allowed anniliation.
He's a pretty good artist, though his faces are offputting.
He was a factor in bringing marvel out of the red.
He lost weight.

But thinking of this, the vast majority of his redeemable characteristics came early in his Marvel career, almost all of his recent choices have been @iss poor.

No...Marvel is doing better because of movies and merchandise.

No, Marvel doesn't automatically do better because there are movies out there. There need to be comics on the shelves to take advantage of that; that's what got Bob Harras fired and that's how Quesada was able to pull Marvel out of bankruptcy. Not to mention all of the A-list talent that Quesada has been able to bring on board.

ChineseFooD said:
And DC is still leaps and bounds ahead of marvel.

LOL...and how exactly are you measuring that?

Subjectively, the same way you undoubtedly will when you move to refute him. So, really, what's the point?

^I measure Marvel's success by sales, which I think is the only objective way to do it.

Well, yeah, but obviously he's not measuring by sales because it's irrefutable that Marvel's doing better than DC in that respect. So any further debate between you two would have to disregard sales, and then you're back to subjectivity.

If so then you think Ultimates 3 has been quite a success?

In terms of sales, yes.

And Marvel has to sell comics to keep making comics.

So long as there is still room for Nova, Avengers: TI, Incredible herc, etc, etc, then they can make as many big-selling stupid books like Ultimates 3 as they want.

Measuring success soley based on sales is a VERY bad way to judge art forms. As a musician, I've seen some REALLY awful stuff make a fortune. Does that make it good? Hell no.

Even when I was a rabid, foaming at the mouth Marvel zombie, I refused to let sales figures dictate what I thought was good. I like what I like, the end.

That's the big difference between fans and businessmen. Sales are all that matter to the latter and completely disregarded by the former.

If so then you think Ultimates 3 has been quite a success?

Much to my chagrin, it's been a huge success.

Measuring success soley based on sales is a VERY bad way to judge art forms. As a musician, I've seen some REALLY awful stuff make a fortune. Does that make it good? Hell no.

I'm not arguing quality, I'm talking about success. Whether or not you like the books is all subjective. My original point was that, thanks to Quesada, not only did Marvel come back from the brink of bankruptcy but has also become the most successful company in the industry, i.e. it outsells its competitors on a consistent basis.

^I measure Marvel's success by sales, which I think is the only objective way to do it.
Yeah, but it don't mean ****. As they say where I'm from, people will eat a ****-lined shoe if you sell it right.

Blader5489 said:
Much to my chagrin, it's been a huge success.
And that's what some of us are trying to say about Quesada's Marvel. Much to our chagrin, it's been a huge success.

I would give Avi Arad as much credit for saving Marvel. Maybe even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"