The SHH! Guide to Free Powerful Software!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump and other than WinRar and WinZip are there are good completely free programs for compression of large files out there?

Bump and other than WinRar and WinZip are there are good completely free programs for compression of large files out there?
7-zip is my favorite. I only wish they would improve the gui just a tad.

PeaZip is another that I just heard of.

Any directions for these programs Malice? I am having problems, more than usual.

I'm trying to compress a few dozen or so files in a folder so it can be e-mailed to a friend and I can't figure it out.

7-zip is my program of choice.

highlight ALL the files you want to compress....
Right click on them, goto the menu offered and pick 7zip, add to archive
7zip program opens up, the top says, Archive...this is the file name, name this how you want it.

Archive format, is important, this will compress the files in a format of some sort...7zip, zip, tar, (dont use tar)

Ok I have it running right now. Is there no way for me to select a custom conversion size? I used 7z for the compression format and it says right now it is compressing at 50%.

Could I get that to 10%?

Ok I have it running right now. Is there no way for me to select a custom conversion size? I used 7z for the compression format and it says right now it is compressing at 50%.

Could I get that to 10%?

that is not something you can set.
The compression size is determined by the type of data you are compressing.
For instance a TEXT file or a WORD document compresses to like 10-20% its original size.

A JPG on the other hand, will almost not ever shrink in size because the format is already somewhat compressed...

So basically the files will either compress or not.?

Here's what I am trying to do M.

I have about 40 files each roughly 10MB or less each. I want to compress the entire folder roughly 400mb down into either one 10MB folder or two of them so I can attach them as e-mails to send to my friend.

Is this not going to be possible?

What kind of files are you trying to compress? Some files compress better than others.

jag

Here's what I am trying to do M.

I have about 40 files each roughly 10MB or less each. I want to compress the entire folder roughly 400mb down into either one 10MB folder or two of them so I can attach them as e-mails to send to my friend.

Is this not going to be possible?

Why have you deemed 400MB the limit?
Are you emailing them?
FTPing them?
Burning them?

What type of files are they also?

Why have you deemed 400MB the limit?
Are you emailing them?
FTPing them?
Burning them?

What type of files are they also?

I think the folder he's trying to compress is 400MB. He's trying to get it down to 10MB so he can email it to a friend who presumably has a 10MB attachment limit on his email account. Crunching 400MB down to 10MB seems highly unlikely.

jag

I think the folder he's trying to compress is 400MB. He's trying to get it down to 10MB so he can email it to a friend who presumably has a 10MB attachment limit on his email account. Crunching 400MB down to 10MB seems highly unlikely.

jag

I dont think you could honestly compress ANYTHING from 400mb to 10mb.
Text files might compress to 40mb on a good day, but that would be it.

CBR files I think. Comic book files. Yeah Jag is right, I'm trying to get it down from 400MB to 10 which, as far as I can tell, yahoo or google e-mail attachments won't allow more than 10MB for each one.

CBR files I think. Comic book files. Yeah Jag is right, I'm trying to get it down from 400MB to 10 which, as far as I can tell, yahoo or google e-mail attachments won't allow more than 10MB for each one.

Best you'd be able to do is a 20MB limit with Google Mail. And 400MB isn't shrinking down to 20MB. Ever. You'll have to chop it up into smaller parcels if you want to send him all this stuff. You could also put it out on a file upload service like mediafire or fileupload.com and let him d/l it.

jag

Hmmmm......well that's lame. Thanks for the help Jag and Malice :up:

I figured screw it, I'm just going to attach as many as I can and e-mail them that way. They don't even seem to be compressing at all with 7-Zip

Assuming they are NOT copyrighted, goto the site
http:\\drop.io

Create a temporary site with a name, password it, and upload your first few files.

Then have him download them, then you can upload the next batch.

It only holds 100MB, but it works GREAT.

Had to head off to work so I will try when I get home. Stupid gmail was having problems earlier to. I couldn't up load anything.

Not sure if this program has been posted yet or not.

Irfanview.com

Use it :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija