The SHH! Guide to Free Powerful Software!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is going to sound stupid, but a bunch of people have been speaking about avg free, so when i looked into, it seems to not to some things. so what i want to know is avg antivirius free worth just using that or is it only good to get the pay version

would you would also need to download a separate firewall.

AVG free work ok.
I never had a problem when I used it (I have a program I am allowed to use from work that is a little more effective...at least I think)

If you are not going to buy a program, I would use it, never be without AV protection.

As for a firewall...if you are running Windows XP with service pack 2, then you are fine. If you have Vista, you are fine (they both have built in firewalls)

But anything else, then you need to get a firewall.

this is going to sound stupid, but a bunch of people have been speaking about avg free, so when i looked into, it seems to not to some things. so what i want to know is avg antivirius free worth just using that or is it only good to get the pay version

would you would also need to download a separate firewall.

Mal don't forget the free Operating System as well.

Linux - This open source operating system uses less resources than any modern operating system on the market today. It can be programmed and upgraded for interested developers.

True...but this is geared towards Windows

Mal don't forget the free Operating System as well.

Linux - This open source operating system uses less resources than any modern operating system on the market today. It can be programmed and upgraded for interested developers.

AVG free work ok.
I never had a problem when I used it (I have a program I am allowed to use from work that is a little more effective...at least I think)

If you are not going to buy a program, I would use it, never be without AV protection.

As for a firewall...if you are running Windows XP with service pack 2, then you are fine. If you have Vista, you are fine (they both have built in firewalls)

But anything else, then you need to get a firewall.

The only thing I've ever noticed with either AVG or Avast free home editions anti virus was not too long ago on my laptop with Vista.

After I installed both programs at roughly the same time and used them my computer started crashing and dumping loads of files.

I lost roughly 30GB of music and comics.

I rebooted my computer and it has been fine ever since and was fine before that.

Not sure if either of these programs were responsible as I did have other things going on with my computer.

Wow Malice, you're really providing a great service to us here. Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the list - what's on my PC basically IS the list :)

Just wanted to say thanks :up:

Wow Malice, you're really providing a great service to us here. Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the list - what's on my PC basically IS the list :)

Just wanted to say thanks :up:

Mr Eggs-a-lot, you are welcome :)

VirtualDub
is a great free open-source app for editing (including combining) video files.
I use it to combine my videos that are on two DVDs to one file...

Assuming they are NOT copyrighted, goto the site
http:\\drop.io

Create a temporary site with a name, password it, and upload your first few files.

Then have him download them, then you can upload the next batch.

It only holds 100MB, but it works GREAT.

Seems to be working well so far but it's extremley sloooow on the upload.

Does anyone know a good program that can combine music files?

Say, if I have something broken up into 5 different tracks and I want to combine them into 1 seamless track?

I think you can do that with iTunes, you just have to mess with the advanced options and what not.

Also you can use mp3directcut it's free and you should be able to do that.

Visit

doom9.org ( i think the website is doom9.net)

afterdawn.com or .net

and

majorgeeks.com

They have a ton of free software to download listed by catagory. :up:

Wow, iTunes just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for pointing that out BAH HUMBBUG!

No problem bro. I'm assuming it worked, I wasn't sure but I thought it had a feature like that. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"