The Simpsons Movie

Turtlefocker MEGA- film review. ***SPOILERS***

Time for another one of my Mega-reviews, to go along with my Live free or Die Hard and Transformers reviews

Simpsons_Movie.jpg

I still remember the very first Simpson's episode, which aired December 17th 1989. "Simpson's Roasting on an open fire". The animation was slightly messier than Simpson's fans are used to and Barney had yellow hair. Other than that not much has changed in the last 18 years. Now here is my review of the new film (which should be ignored by all those who haven't seen the movie or just don’t want to read a boring (or should I say awesome) review):

070725_simpsons2_hlg_11a.hlarge.jpg

The film opens with Itchy and Scratchy in outer space, during the brief skit hundreds of nuclear warheads are shot at the moon. The shot of the warheads was seen in the trailers. Things like this annoy me, like congress blowing up in the Live Free or Die Hard trailers. It's just a minor pet peeve of mine that always bugs me.

We then pull back to reveal the back Homer's head. Homer then goes on to say the opening line of the film "Boring" – "I cant believe were paying to see something we get on T.V for free". Its funny although I feel like I have heard something similar in another movie. "If you ask me everybody in this theater is a giant sucker- especially you!" Homer points directly at the screen, it reminded me of Jay and Silent Bob Strike back in which the characters would say something like "who would pay to see that" then look at the screen (this could be what the earlier line reminded me of). It was funny in Smith's film and its funny here.

We fade to the classic Simpson's title shot, only this time Professor Frink is flying underneath it; a flag with Movie written on it attached behind him. He tries to go with the tune and 'sings "moviiieee on the bigg screeen"- that’s what we have paid to see.

We are then treated to an updated version of the T.V show opening. This time focussing more on the side characters rather that the main family. I think that is a good thing. Especially considering the fact that most of the side characters get shafted in this film.

We see Bart though, writing "I will not illegally download this movie" over and over again on the chalkboard. Its another wink at the audience and a funny one. There is no doubt in my mind that hundreds of people will download this movie rather than pay to see it on the big screen, This joke would probably be funnier to them than the paying audience.

We fade into Green Day playing at Lake Springfield. They're "singing" along to the Simpson's theme. Edna is being held up by Skinner and wearing a T-shirt that reads "he's not my boyfriend." I had a strange feeling at this point- I don’t think Edna or Skinner would be Green Day fans. Well actually I don’t think any self-respecting person would be a Green Day fan.

Green Day goes all preachy and tries to talk about Global Warming; thankfully Springfield Lake is polluted enough to destroy them. We cut to church in which Lovejoy is praying for the "latest rock band to die" in Springfield. The Simpson's arrive late. I didn’t find the dialog they had funny, the only funny part in the Church scean to me was Homer repeatedly saying "GAY". Grandpa gives his warning and we move on.

Marge is the only one who believes Grandpa.

I didn’t enjoy the parts with Homer hitting his eye and falling through the roof. It just wasn’t funny to me, it felt 'off'. I did enjoy however the part in which Homer puts the Hornets nest in Flanders' mailbox. It was the same classic one-sided rivalry between Homer and Flanders that has been in the show since the very beginning.

Homer ends up daring Bart to ride to Krusty burger and back "naked." It begins in the style of "Austin Powers" with random things covering up Bart's penis -then takes a twist and covers up everything but. A girl I was with said "awe cute" I thought this was weird but she's hot so I didn’t say anything (although i dont think I have a chance anyway).

Now comes the only part in the film, which I immediately recognized as CGI, its right before Lou shoots the gun. It bothered me a little because everything before it was classic animation.

While getting Bart off the glass, Lou says one of my many favorite lines in the film:

"listen kid nobody likes wearing cloths in public but it’s the law"

It was my first major laugh in the film.

We then get some more of Homer's bad parenting and Flanders' kindness. Also we are introduced to the "pig wearing a hat" later known as Spider-pig and the less funny "Harry Plopper".

By this point I was much more focussed on the film than before. The laughs started coming quicker and there was less of the downtime found in the first 15 minutes or so. The fishing part especially was very funny, and a dose of reality into the Simpson world when Bart says "What?? Your not strangling me"

By the time we get to "An Irritating Truth" we are about at the length of a regular episode. The Irritating Truth segment is rather funny and kept me entertained. The whole "we should hate kids" and "black is the worse color" were very funny.

The scene in which the lake was cleaned up was great to as was the dead body part. It reminded me of the episode "Bart The murderer" simply because of Fat Tony's presence. "Bart The Murderer" is one of my favorite episodes so being reminded of that is a good thing.

Homer saying to the pig "maybe we should kiss to break the tension" was a great moment and line. I am glad Marge came in though, I have no interest in watching them kiss.

After the "Harry Plopper" line I started wondering were Santa's little Helper was. After viewing the film I realize that he is only on screen twice. I would have liked to have seen him more often.

"Whoa that was close" great moment and perfectly in character.

simpsons_movie_M_070726094913392_wideweb__300x253.jpg

The President Schwarzenegger bit was great but I think it would have worked better as President Wolfcastle I at least would have found that funnier than Schwarzenegger. We are also introduced to the main villain of the film a "man on a big T.V"

My favorite part of the film was when the people in the bar and the people in the Church "switched places". It's things like that which put Simpson's ABOVE everything else on t.v., or at least used to I don't really watch it anymore. It started getting stale around 2000 to me.

The movie really moves at a breakneck speed from here on out. Id be interested in watching a longer cut if it had more of the side characters. There are many many great lines and moments in the film like Grandpa being part of the mob, The President picking the number "2-"double it"-4", The Tom Hanks "If you're going to pick a government to trust why not this one", and the bomb defusing robot committing suicide.

Sadly with all those great comedic moments there are many that don’t work such as the Homer stuck between a rock and a hard place. But I think the funny parts out-number the tongue in cheek moments.

There is a cool reference of sorts to the episode "Bart the Daredevil" with the ambulance still crashed against the tree and then film ends with The Simpson's saving the day. Lisa finds love, Santa's little Helper shows up and Marge gets the best kiss of her life. So far.

My favorite "Simpson's" picture:
Simpsons-Nighthogs_lg.jpg

8/10 - I would have liked more screen time to have been given to the side-characters.

Good review
icon14.gif

Did...did you just compliment yourself on your own review? :dry:

That notice aside, I give the movie an 8. Kinda dragged in the middle, but otherwise worth the money.

The movie was alright.
There were a coupe of HILARIOUS stuff, but as a whole, not really.

Whoooops, i meant to quote this guy:

Here's my review. It's taken from my blog - http://camspcepisodes.blogspot.com

A lot of intense questions hung over the head of 20th Century Fox's The Simpsons Movie. Would the film restore the glory of the franchise after multiple years of lousy output? Would the translation from TV to film work? Would the returning vintage-era writers (Creator Matt Groening, producer James L. Brooks and 9 more!) mine comic gold once again, delivering something that would have us in the gales of laughter that the entire season 5 did? Would Lenny and Carl finally have their big show-stopping love scene? Well, the answers are simple now: A no, a mild yes, a no... And a (regretful) no again. But let's get to the real nitty gritty here and dissect this sucker like Larry Drake in Dr. Giggles!

I covered my opinions on the current state of the show in a previous entry (Storm the archives for that stuff.), so I'm not gonna go into too much depth regarding that whole ball of wax. Rather, I'm simply going to state that The Simpson's Movie is a fairly grand improvement on anything featured in the last 7 or so years. But, with that said, it also suffers badly in comparison to every episode within the first decade (Except that wretched Coyote/Hallucination episode - Detailed in my previous entry.). Instead, the film falls squarely in the middle, never really daring to be anything other than an amusing diversion. And with a pedigree like this, that is a bit of a disappointment.

I laughed in The Simpsons Movie. A fair deal, in fact. The first half hour is a wonderful series of random "Simpson-esque" moments that lead from chortle to chuckle. Bart's naked skateboard odyssey across Springfield is a hilarious run with a shockingly funny capper. Individual moments with Ralph, Moe, Krusty, etc get laughs simply through familiarity. Unfortunately, however, once the storyline kicks in the laughs begin to fade. The doming of Springfield, leading into the Alaska material feels like the sorts of stunts that the show went crazy over once flagging inspiration began to kick in. The Simpsons in Brazil, London, Canada, Japan, and so on, times fifty. The Alaska stuff is cute, but has very little effect on the story at large. It's throwaway stuff that unforgivably takes us away from the rich supporting cast that has been the real strength behind the franchise. Instead we get Homer screwing over the family and having to learn a lesson. Virgin territory, I proclaim thee! Oh, and just for fun, we get another horrific existential scene that is a complete rip-off of that God forsaken coyote episode. Needless to say, annoyed disbelief led to simmering rage. In fairness, I will mention that a great deal of the third act is entertaining, although the action scenes are more perfunctory than necessary... And not overly enthralling.

So, what makes this film (slightly) worth your ten bucks? Well, the jokes are constant, with most getting great reactions from the audience. The voice acting by series regulars Dan Castellaneta (Homer, Grandpa, Krusty, et al.), Julie Kavner (Marge), Nancy Cartwright (Bart), Yeardly Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria (Apu, Wiggum, Moe), Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Skinner and many more) and company are dead-on and never falter (Although I suppose they've had almost 2 decades worth of practice by now...). Albert Brooks, one of the most frequent guest stars on the show, has some great scenes here too. As I said in my Pirates 3 review, familiarity goes a long way, and there's something comforting about spending a couple hours with this family in a cool theatre. Director David Silverman has served up a nice looking movie, with plenty of groovy CG moments that give the whole thing a little more depth and richness.

But the film still does feel a bit small when compared with previous attempts at TV-to-movie translations. Both South Park and Beavis & Butt-Head (Neither of whose shows came close to comparing to vintage Simpsons episodes!) did so much more with the form. They both, South Park in particular, dared themselves to aim higher than they ever could on television. They weren't content to simply toss off a extra-length episode. The creative minds behind The Simpsons Movie were, it seems, and so we can be forgiven for feeling underwhelmed when the curtains close. The experience reminded me of seeing Jetsons: The Movie back in 1990. The material is the same, only longer and with a few bells and whistles (Though The Simpsons is infinitely funnier).

Whether you are disappointed with this film will really depend on your view of the franchise's strengths and weaknesses. I missed the more obscure and witty film references that were hallmarks of the best episodes. Their targets here, Titanic, Independence Day and Night Of The Living Dead among them, felt too safe and generic. The post-modern material on the other hand, with jokes about the Fox network and the film's very existence, is strong and could have been further emphasized. As well, I can't argue enough over the exclusion of the supporting cast. Further use of them would have benefitted the film hugely. I could have happily done without the overabundance of "homages" to classic episodes, as they felt more like desperate attempts to get laughs from proven material (Like in Bean!).

The film ends with the hint of a sequel. Let's hope next time we get something a little more courageous and unsafe. And let's dispense with junky titles like this one and find something more clever. Bonus points if they call it "The Simpsons: Curious (Yellow)"

3 out of 5

It's a decent review

anyone got video's of the credit scenes,stupidly missed the last few

Even though I liked the movie, I still have a little nitpick. I was really expecting to see some kind of mutant infestation after we saw the squirrel with the dozen eyes. I really was hoping there would be more. Instead we immediately got the glass dome over the city.

Just seen it, it wa good really.

Last time I watch the tv show I didn't laugh but in the movie I did.

Maggie first word was funny lol.

but what happened to the Pig? Did it live lol.

I thought it was great, I mean...the show has been on tv for nearly 20 years so what did some of you expect? 9/10.

I thought it was average.

Can't say this is worthy of the Classic Simpsons status, but it came close in points. That would qualify it as a scatter shot comedy like so many we get these days. They're not confident enough to just focus on a certain type of humor and do it well, they have to just be the jack of all trades, and of course master of none... which is sad because the simpsons used to be the master of funny dysfunctional family/community stories.

Such a great show does deserve better than an average comedy.

This is the last nail in the coffin for this show for me... There's just nothing left to say about these characters. Move on to futurama or whatever... Twas good while it lasted though.

Man this movie sucked! It's like the biggest joke is that you paid to see the movie! If one writer can come up with enough luaghs to fill an episode, why can't a whole team of them come up with at least three funny jokes in a period of 90 minutes?

the first part of the movie was funny. it was joke after joke. the second half was classic simpsons. tired, overused lame jokes with little payoff.
i liked the first part because it reminded me of family guy.

So much wrong with this, where to start?

The first half had several more jokes that were hilarious than the second half, but the movie kept to the same formula as the series, it blended much of the classic with the newer simpsons comedy.

But if you think "classic" simpsons is tired, overused lame jokes, why did you see it in the first place?

Oh and family guy is heavily influenced by the simpsons, Peter (Father, Fat, Stupid, Random) = Homer (Father, Fat, Stupid, Random)
Even the creator admitted that he is a fan of the simpsons and used it as inspiration.

The simpsons movie was written a whole lot better than any family guy show, simpson has a lot more depth to its comedy. Yea it can be crude at times but simpson has a more sophisticated sense of comedy to it. One example you can pretty much watch just the background of the movie and there are tons of hidden jokes. Family guy is just flat joke after joke.

Does anyone know what the music was during Bart skateboarding naked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"