The Star Wars fiction fans cantina

Watson

Ninja delivery girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the cantina friends! Such a hive of villany and scum you will find no other place but here! This is the thread to discuss the novels, short fiction, and comics of the Star Wars extended universe. The works of literature associated with Star Wars are vast in number, so I'm going to start by recomending a few of my favourites.

The Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn) by A. C. Crispin.

This is a trilogy that outlines Han's life before being hired by Luke and Obi-Wan at Mos Eisley spaceport. It starts from his earliest life as an orphan on Corellia, and explains how he learned the wookie language, his days as an pilot for the Empire, how he met Chewie and Lando and won the Millenium Falcon, and some of his loves pre-Leia. This series is vastly entertaining and gives Solo a lot of great depth. You can really believe a lot of his history, and it keeps in line with the history provided in the origianl trilogy.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, and Champions of the Force) by Kevin J Anderson.

Set about a decade after the events in ROTJ, this follows the attempt to rebuild after the fall of the Empire and to re-establish the Jedi Order. It's got a good new villian, and takes you to some new places in the SW universe (such as Admiral Ackbar's planet :wow:).

The Dark Empire comics

This comic series follows the birth of Anakin into the SW EU. Palapatine has managed to live on as a spiritual entity (think Sauron in LOTR) but needs a body in which to grow anew. Guess whose he wants? This series is really notable in that it showcases the return of Boba Fett, and Luke testing his limits by using the dark side of the Force. Leia also kicks all sorts of ass in it.

Any other recomendations? I haven't read a new novel in a while, mainly because I was very disapointed in the choice of killing off [BLACKOUT]Jaina and Anakin[/BLACKOUT].

you mean Jacen?
Jaina is still kicking but it seems like they are killing off the solo kids one by one she doesn't have much time left!

Errr...

I've read some of these. The Jedi Academy trilogy I remember reading; there was one with Darth maul in too; and I read one set just after Ep III, something like Rise of The dark Lord... very foggy on it though :O

you mean Jacen?
Jaina is still kicking but it seems like they are killing off the solo kids one by one she doesn't have much time left!

whoops, yes. And it certainly seems that way!

I've probably got around 50 of the novels, but I haven't bought/read any in around five years. I've no idea what is currently happening in the Expanded Universe.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It's written by the best EU (Expanded Universe, for those in the dark) writer, Matthew Stover. All of his books are in the top tier of Star Wars books, with Shadows of Mindor falling just behind his novelization of Revenge of the Sith (READ THAT NOW).

I liked the unveiling of vader in the novelisation of revenge. It was so poetic and scary at the same time. Vader, the bad ass mofo of the galaxy is less than half as powerful as he could have been.

^So, it didn't have him screaming "NOOOOO!!!" at the top of his lungs?

It has him screaming in rage, but not just because of Padme's death. He realizes he'd been duped by Sidious, but knows that the only one responsible is him.

It's a great read, you really should pick it up.

Anyone read the Dath Bane series or Millenium Falcon? Man, those are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"