Stand-Alone Movies Rian Johnson to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy

I got no problem with a sequel trilogy, and that's what I wanted to begin with instead of prequels over 15 years ago.

I understand your feelings Jones, but I feel like everything in due time. Also, the new sequels have enough new stuff in them that I am satisfied. like I get people are upset because they think they are derivative, but they have enough new situations and characters for me to keep me sated. Look with the sequels they basically threw out all that established EU canon and wrote their own story. I get not liking that, but instead of adapting the older stories that had already been written, they decided to create a new sequel canon. I think that was the best decision.

I don't want Knights of the Old Republic by Rian Johnson either, and I'm glad he said that. I think all the petitions for that are dumb. I hope we get a story that's far removed from anything we've gotten in the movies before.

Basically, I don't want a direct throughline from the new Rian trilogy to the prequels, original trilogy etc. Maybe you can see some of the gradual shifts, but I don't want like, Anakin's great great great grandfather. Or like Yoda at age 20.

Um... yeah. No ****. I don't know why people thought this. Jesus, was this so widely believe it even reached Johnson's ears? Are SW fans really this unimaginative?

Yes. See: Bring Back Legends crowd...

As much as I have enjoyed the Kotor games and why they shouldn't/won't never be adapted into a series of films..im actually cool with that. I love the story and characters but I feel that Kotor should be left as its own thing as we know it. It will always have a special place in my heart especially of how I felt while playing the game for the first time.

That being said...just because we wont see the likes of Revan and Bastila be adapted to the big or small screen, that doesn't mean there can't be any stories and characters that could be told in the Old Republic era. Rian can if he chooses...thing is we still don't know exactly of what his trilogy will entail. Whatever he decides...I can't wait to know more.

For now...just have to wait and see...

I think after what happened with Carrie, it’s clear why they would want to do 7,8, and 9 now as opposed to later.

I never had a problem with bringing back the old cast, but they could have been used in a better story. Rewind TFA back a few years and SHOW us the falling out between Kylo Ren and Luke, the rise of Snoke and the Knights of Ren (it would help because we could actually know what the **** they are!), the fall of the New Jedi Order, Han and Leia splitting and better yet, you can still make Rey the main character in the midst of all of this who sees this all. Finn and Poe would have fit right in there too. That could have been so cool. To start this new trilogy off everything that was promised in the last movies goes to hell. The problem with TFA is the most interesting stuff happened in the backstory.

I got no problem with a sequel trilogy, and that's what I wanted to begin with instead of prequels over 15 years ago.

I understand your feelings Jones, but I feel like everything in due time. Also, the new sequels have enough new stuff in them that I am satisfied. like I get people are upset because they think they are derivative, but they have enough new situations and characters for me to keep me sated. Look with the sequels they basically threw out all that established EU canon and wrote their own story. I get not liking that, but instead of adapting the older stories that had already been written, they decided to create a new sequel canon. I think that was the best decision.

I don't want Knights of the Old Republic by Rian Johnson either, and I'm glad he said that. I think all the petitions for that are dumb. I hope we get a story that's far removed from anything we've gotten in the movies before.

Basically, I don't want a direct throughline from the new Rian trilogy to the prequels, original trilogy etc. Maybe you can see some of the gradual shifts, but I don't want like, Anakin's great great great grandfather. Or like Yoda at age 20.

I've no problem with them throwing out the old canon. I was totally on board with that. It's just how they're creating that new canon is what's so frustrating.

That's the problem. I don't want "enough." I've been here long enough where you seem to have high standards and where nothing is sacred which I respect. So no offense to you, you need to raise your expectations, because quite frankly, I think we're all better than this. Not speaking for you, I seem to remember a time when people criticized the prequels, it was because they lacked in character and story compared to the OT. And that is true, and I can't blame them for wanting to go back to that type of quality of those stories were told to match that OT quality. I was all for that! Yet I guess the type of quality I expect and want means something different than many people and what they're getting now. How these new stories are being told and their standards of storytelling are seriously lacking in its own right. Just the gigantic missed opportunity that's going on is just as much of a crime as a bad story.

That's no excuse for what's lacking that truly can elevate these movies back into what they were for the best reasons. And those reasons are just to tell a great story. These movies think in order to have a great story, you must tell it in a way that's been done before. They have the characters, they just lack in story. TFA was a fine told story, but it doesn't leave you with much because all that it's about what we've all seen before. I mean what the hell is TFA about? Discovering your path?

A fine story, it's just we've seen this in SW before. What else can SW tell us? I believe, much, much more. But Disney would rather play it safe to make their billion dollars and appease shareholders. So they have a tried and trusted formula which is Disney's MO and has been for years now. SW is no different from that MO. Tried and true. It's a shame because SW started out as a rebellion to that and it was reflected in Lucas's anti-corporate attitude. SW/Lucasfilm was like the rebels in its independence and willingness to fight back and show the system what it could do and in doing so, created the new paradigm of that system. Now it's just part of the machine of the Empire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"