Stand-Alone Movies New Star Wars Trilogy from Rian Johnson

I think they made a mistake announcing the trilogy so soon, especially when there was no concrete idea there yet. It puts Rian in a bit of an awkward situation where now the press is going to be constantly asking him about it until he full-on confirms that it's not happening anymore. And who knows...Lucasfilm could be stringing him along too and making promises that they may or may not keep.

That said, nothing would bring me more joy than to one day see an amazing episode of The Mandalorian or another SW show that fans are absolutely loving, only to have "Directed by Rian Johnson" at the end. Just to melt brains and watch the cognitive dissonance ensue.

That's my bet. I think even if Rian isn't getting his trilogy, he'll doing something with Star Wars again. I don't know why, but I could just see it happening. He does have a relationship with Filoni and consulted with him on TLJ.

Despite how I feel about The Last Jedi, I was willing to give Rian's trilogy a chance and hope for the best. That said, I doubt he would be able to sneak an episode past me like that, unless he was deliberately subverting his directorial style or bringing it in line with the show up to that point. TLJ didn't have the feel of Star Wars to me, so I wouldn't expect anything else he does with the franchise to be different in that regard.

Despite how I feel about The Last Jedi, I was willing to give Rian's trilogy a chance and hope for the best. That said, I doubt he would be able to sneak an episode past me like that, unless he was deliberately subverting his directorial style or bringing it in line with the show up to that point. TLJ didn't have the feel of Star Wars to me, so I wouldn't expect anything else he does with the franchise to be different in that regard.

Eh, I mean I think people forget that he did direct Ozymandias, the best episode of Breaking Bad. That episode wasn't a subversion of Breaking Bad, it was pretty much a climax of the entire series full of moments that felt like the whole story was building up to at that point. And he crushed it.

It's not like "subverting" is the only thing he does. He's been able to step into a series before and operate as part of a bigger machine, delivering on a showrunner's vision. I think he's way more versatile than people consider him to be.

Still, if he did that my reaction would be less "I was wrong about Rian Johnson" than "Man, I wish he'd done that the first time."

I know at least that he's capable of doing good work (I liked Looper), and people after not liking something can make assumptions about what the creator is capable of (sometimes they even do after liking their work), but if someone hates The Last Jedi they're not going to change their mind about Rian over one episode of TV, at least not with regard to Star Wars. Damon Lindelof repaired his reputation, but he did so by being a showrunner for a whole series and then following it with another show for good measure.

Still, if he did that my reaction would be less "I was wrong about Rian Johnson" than "Man, I wish he'd done that the first time."

I know at least that he's capable of doing good work (I liked Looper), and people after not liking something can make assumptions about what the creator is capable of (sometimes they even do after liking their work), but if someone hates The Last Jedi they're not going to change their mind about Rian over one episode of TV, at least not with regard to Star Wars. Damon Lindelof repaired his reputation, but he did so by being a showrunner for a whole series and then following it with another show for good measure.

No, you're right. My point was more if they snuck that by, people would retroactively twist themselves into knots and start looking for reasons to not like the episode, no matter how good it was. Because that is the level of maturity we're dealing with when it comes to a certain segment of the fanbase and how personal they've made it. And it's become like politics, where they'd see it as their "duty" to bash to make sure he doesn't earn any goodwill, or God forbid get any closer to his trilogy becoming a reality.

My point was more about how that would probably expose a lot hypocrisy and immaturity vs. changing hearts and minds. Though I think more reasonable fans might say "OK I may not have liked TLJ, but now I'm interested to see what else he could do in this universe."

Not talking about you, obviously. Nothing wrong with disliking TLJ, but all reasonable fans should know that the level of toxicity and personal attacks it inspired was not cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"