Stand-Alone Movies Rian Johnson to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy

Dark_Lord

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
Rian Johnson, Writer-Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy

For director Rian Johnson,*Star Wars: The Last Jedi*was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new*Star Wars*trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.*

As writer-director of*The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that*Star Wars*lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on*The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft*The Last Jedi*from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on*The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars*is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have*contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”*

Johnson’s upcoming*Star Wars: The Last Jedi*arrives in U.S. theaters*on*Dec. 15, 2017.

No release dates have been set for the new films, and no porgs were available for comment.

StarWars.com

Wow...they must really like what he's done with The Last Jedi. That's immensely reassuring. So, let the speculation begin! What do we think he's gonna be exploring?

Wow...they must really like what he's done with The Last Jedi. That's immensely reassuring. So, let the speculation begin! What do we think he's gonna be exploring?

They must love what he did. They gave him the keys to the Kingdom.

From what the press releases say...an area unexplored i'd love to see some Mandos...but they done that with the shows....

The only other main idea would be dare I say....Old Republic....

If this turns out to be inspired by or based on Knights of the Old Republic, I will have a stroke of pure euphoria.

Mother of God please.

I'm glad it won't have anything to do with the Skywalker's

If this turns out to be inspired by or based on Knights of the Old Republic, I will have a stroke of pure euphoria.

Mother of God please.

I'm with you. I'm one of the few people that actually wants a beat for beat Revan story on screen. I don't give a damn that I know what happens!

I'm hoping Old Republic. They won't adapt KotOR, even though I would have liked it, but just exploring that time period would be awesome.

I'm hoping Old Republic. They won't adapt KotOR, even though I would have liked it, but just exploring that time period would be awesome.

Yeah, agreed, but the way the statement reads to me we'll be getting something completely and utterly new. I'd be ok with either.

Yeah, agreed, but the way the statement reads to me we'll be getting something completely and utterly new. I'd be ok with either.

Agreed. It's the "new" part that makes it very interesting to me, even though I hope it takes place in the Old Republic era. It depends on what they mean by "...corner of the galaxy that*Star Wars*lore has never before explored.". Do they mean the movies? The new canon? In general (including legends)?

Mother of God please.

Yea, I'd love the Old Republic trilogy too. :yay:

If Disney is apparently that impressed with Last Jedi, I'm curious if Disney ever once considered him for Episode IX as well, even with Johnson saying that was never in the cards.

Agreed. It's the "new" part that makes it very interesting to me, even though I hope it takes place in the Old Republic era. It depends on what they mean by "...corner of the galaxy that*Star Wars*lore has never before explored.". Do they mean the movies? The new canon? In general (including legends)?

Yeah...the bastards left it perfectly vague. Pricks... :p

I can appreciate that.

When they say something new, it better be something new. And I think they mean it. Let's hope this can be executed well and help redefine what SW can be. I want to be invested in SW again and if they execute it right, I'll be back on the train.

However, I can't be fully excited about this given their output. I'm excited when they announce a lot of Marvel movies because they make quality stuff and don't rest on their laurels mostly. With SW a lot of it feels like putting the wagon in front of the horse. When do they want to release this along with the spin offs and other trilogy? I'm just jaded apart of me feels this all just feels like things to put out. It just doesn't feel as unique anymore in the macro even if the intentions are interesting. All these constant planned SW movies at this point is just kind of giving me a headache with what he have.

Let's get imaginative here. Which means no context or precedent which is exciting. Let's forgo what we know. I'd rather this just be the next trilogy. There's no reason for it not to be. Rewrite the rules, Johnson. Make this the trilogy we should have gotten.

As for the posters here, this means feel free to come up with the wildest stuff. Stuff you'd like to see and haven't before. Anything goes because who knows what it will bring?

Last edited:
Im on this train to the very end with the rest of you guys!

I remember how angry folks were when Disney bought Star Wars, while I was jumping for joy. Because I knew that this would be the end result....more Star Wars.

I am soooooooooo ready to feast my eyes, ears and soul on a new trilogy!

Im hoping its a pre pre quel trilogy. Set in Old Republic times. if the rumor that
Snoke is an ancient sith lord
, we could potentially see the origins of that

If it is a prequel prequel, I just hope it's far removed from any other stories previously.

I guess my problem with prequels is I don't really need to know how things happen. Did we really need Kid Boba Fett?

If it is a prequel prequel, I just hope it's far removed from any other stories previously.

From that YT Disney announcement it sounded like it's very far from Skywalker part of the story. And even in a very distant part of the galaxy or something.

You don't get the keys to the Star Wars franchise unless you made something decent, so....yeah.

If they started talking about the origins of the Jedi/The Force/etc in TLJ, then I'm 90% sure that it'll be Old Republic-based. Not the same story, but set in that time period at least.

Also just a little personal thing, but if they do delve into the background stuff, then I'd love to FINALLY get a female Sith Lord in these films. Pretty please Rian?

If they started talking about the origins of the Jedi/The Force/etc in TLJ, then I'm 90% sure that it'll be Old Republic-based. Not the same story, but set in that time period at least.

Also just a little personal thing, but if they do delve into the background stuff, then I'd love to FINALLY get a female Sith Lord in these films. Pretty please Rian?

And Mandalorians! An ancient Kryat Dragon! Rwar!

Wow, this is huge. Disney must really love what Johnson did with Last Jedi... they'd better hope the general audience ends up agreeing with them.

As for what the new trilogy should be about... well, I'm not really familiar with this Old Republic game everyone is talking about. What's it supposed to be, medieval Star Wars? I'm looking at some screenshots of it on Google and honestly, to me, it looks exactly like regular Star Wars.

Personally, I hope they give us something completely new. Show us new planets, new characters, new alien cultures and technologies. I want to see more of this "galaxy far, far away".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"