The Technology Thread - Part 1

A Touch-Sensitive Belt Lets You Subtly Control a Wearable Display

1221438211707779217.gif

The first time around, Google Glass wasn’t exactly a runaway hit. But the technology behind it will certainly be improved to the point where it can eventually be integrated into a regular pair of glasses. And for when that day gets here, there’s now a novel and subtle way to navigate your wearable display using the belt around your waist.

The aptly-named “Belt” device, developed by researchers at Germany’s Ulm University, still works to hold up your trousers. But it’s also covered in an emo-appropriate grid of metal touch-sensitive studs that the wearer can slide their fingers across to scroll lists, tap to make selections, or perform other specific gestures to navigate the UI on their wearable device without having to touch the side of their head.

[YT]y8Ub3u2IhsA[/YT]

Through software the entire length of the belt can be used as a touch-friendly interface, or it can be limited to just a small area above the front pockets if the wearer wants their gestures and motions to be extra subtle. Clever software will presumably also be able to ignore accidental gestures as an arm brushes against the belt, especially for those who for some reason choose to tuck their shirts in.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2702450

This could just be the thing needed for wearables to take off

Tesla's New Battery Could Solve One of Solar Power's Biggest Problems

1221865835105471665.jpg

So far, specific details are thin on the new battery designed for home use that Tesla’s announcing next week. But just based on what we do know, it’s a pretty big deal. The quest for a good battery that can store home-generated power is kind of like the holy grail for a renewable energy future. This one product might change everything.

A New York Times article published earlier this week essentially sets up the problem that Tesla’s battery will solve. In Hawaii, 12 percent of homes have some kind of solar energy, by far the highest rate for any place in the US at the moment. In fact, that rate is growing too quickly—solar customers are dumping so much energy back onto the grid that they’re taxing the delicate and often aging infrastructure that was only designed to deliver power to homes. What’s happening in Hawaii is actually indicative of what’s going to be an issue everywhere as many cities start to see an increase in large-scale solar implementation: There’s going to be too much energy generated, and nowhere to put it.
Utility companies might spend the money to upgrade the grid, but even then it’s difficult for them to predict how much more capacity they’ll need (and of course those costs will certainly be passed down to consumers). The absolute best idea is for homeowners to start installing batteries that can store the power for later use instead of giving the power back to the utilities, something called peak load shaving. It’s not just solar power that can be stored, of course—it can also come from wind turbines or hydroelectricity or the treadmill you rigged together to juice up your house with kinetic energy.
Enter Tesla. In its quest to design the perfect electric car, Tesla has pretty much engineered the best battery on the market. Now, basically, the company is manufacturing an electric car battery for home use. They’re already out there: Tesla’s installed batteries in about 400 locations, including businesses like Walmart. Supposedly this new battery concept will improve upon what’s available now. But the real game changer here—like almost everything about energy—is price.

Thanks to companies like Tesla, the cost per kilowatt-hour of these batteries is coming down much faster than once predicted. Right now, Tesla’s batteries are about about $300 per kWh, which is comparable to the market rate the industry expected for 2020. This cost is intertwined with the proliferation of renewable energy because cheaper batteries mean that the price of entry for something like solar energy is essentially cheaper. Which means more people will be able to get into the solar game.

The biggest news here—and why utility companies are likely worried—is that with a cheaper, more accessible battery, homeowners will now very easily be able to achieve complete energy independence. You could store your power for off-peak usage, and you might be able to sell your excess energy to a neighbor. In the near future, cord-cutting may mean severing one’s self from the electrical grid.

Now here’s the very interesting twist: Tesla is also announcing a “utility-scale” battery, something we don’t know anything about at all. If this is something that the utility companies can use to help shoulder some of that grid burden, then this, too, will be a game changer for utilities. That’s a win-win for both energy customers and energy companies.

http://gizmodo.com/teslas-new-battery-could-solve-one-of-solar-powers-bigg-1699555784

Elon is a rockstar, this is exciting and amazing news

You just know somebody is going to wash the belt then complain about it not working.

Samsung's Galaxy S5 Could Have Leaked Your Fingerprints to Hackers

tgebvlceguppittrmzev.jpg

Your fingerprint is a more valuable security resource than your password—you can change a password, after all. So it’s worrying to hear that Samsung’s Galaxy S5 contains a vulnerability that could leave your fingerprint wide open for hackers to clone.

Forbes reports that security researchers at FireEye have found that the Samsung’s Galaxy S5—and some “other unnamed Android devices”—fail to properly protect your fingerprint. Prints are held in an encrypted file on the phone, but FireEye researchers claim it can be intercepted before it arrives there, allowing it to be cloned and used for future attacks. Forbes explains just how straightforward the attack is:

[A]n attacker could focus on collecting data coming from the Android devices’ fingerprint sensors rather than trying to break into the trusted zone... Any hacker who can acquire user-level access and can run a program as root, the lowest level of access on computers and smartphones, can easily collect fingerprint information from the affected Android phones... On the Samsung Galaxy S5, they wouldn’t need to go as deep, with malware needing only system-level access.​

The team behind the research presented their findings at the RSA Conference yesterday. Ahead of the presentation they informed Samsung of the vulnerability, but no updates have yet been announced. The hack doesn’t work on on Android 5.0 Lollipop or above—so it would pay to update your OS as soon as possible.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/04/21/samsung-galaxy-s5-fingerprint-attacks/

That is no bueno

Well that's nice. :o Yeesh. I'm planning on getting a new android phone soon but I think I'll just get a Galaxy S4.

A Simple Website Helps Sort Your Movie-Watching Options

hl7wwt8jvfuzbxynweun.png

Leanflix is a stripped-back website that rounds up the best movies from your favourite streaming (and pay-to-own) sites, sorts them by almost any criteria you could dream of, and spits out the results. It’s simple, effective, and everything you wish Netflix’s interface actually was.

The site — which is currently in beta — incorporates listings from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, iTunes, and Amazon On Demand. You can filter by genre, year, a composite ‘Leanflix score’, or the more conventional Rotten Tomatoes/IMDB, depending on who you trust the most. Click on a title, and you get a summary of the details, along with direct links to view on your platform of choice.

Best of all is a watch list, which can finally help me keep track of the ‘oh, I should see that before it vanishes’ I have going on with about five sites right now. Other than that, there’s very little by the way of social interaction or profile pages — in other words, it’s exactly what a movie-recommendation system should look like.

http://www.leanflix.com/browse#/

I'll give this a try

Netflix needs to buy that.

Now.

A New High-Speed MRI Technique Is Fast Enough To Record Someone Singing

catfytc2zntotuk4kceq.gif

It’s a remarkable technology capable of looking inside a human being, but magnetic resonance imaging—or MRI—machines are finicky and require a patient to remain absolutely still while it does its thing. But researchers at the University of Illinois have found a way to capture up to 100 frames per second on an MRI machine allowing them to record patients in motion.

The need for a faster MRI technique arose when a faculty member at the University of Illinois’ Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology wanted to study how the muscles of the larynx worked in elderly patients while singing, in an attempt to help give them more powerful and pronounced voices. The problem with using MRI machines was that they could only capture images at around ten frames per second which was far too slow to study what was going on with the 100 or so muscles required to sing.

[YT]OCvJiqKZbz4[/YT]

So Zhi-Pei Liang, an electrical and computer engineering professor at the institute, worked with his team to develop a new methodology to extract more frames from an MRI machine—which is a far cheaper solution than trying to rebuild and redesign one of the incredibly expensive devices from the ground up. Here’s how the new technique they came up with is described in an issue of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine:

An imaging method is developed to enable high-speed dynamic speech imaging exploiting low-rank and sparsity of the dynamic images of articulatory motion during speech. The proposed method includes: (a) a novel data acquisition strategy that collects spiral navigators with high temporal frame rate and (b) an image reconstruction method that derives temporal subspaces from navigators and reconstructs high-resolution images from sparsely sampled data with joint low-rank and sparsity constraints.​

It sounds complex, but what Zhi-Pei Liang and his team essentially did was find a way to generate additional frames from the image data the MRI machine was already capturing. By focusing on smaller regions of the overall image they were able to capture motion data at higher frame rates. And then using that data they were able to reconstruct additional in-between images which boosted the frame rate significantly.

And if you’re familiar with how MRI machines work, you know they generate an incredibly intense magnetic field which is strong enough to suck metal office chairs into the chamber. They’re also very, very loud. So to record the patient in the above video singing If I Only Had a Brain, the researchers actually had to use a noise-cancelling fiber-optic microphone and sync the audio to the footage afterwards.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63306/watch-high-speed-mri-images-someone-singing-if-i-only-had-brain

That's astounding and very clever

A Cheap $6 Toothbrush With a Display That Reminds You To Replace It

ovet5uu4lwsed7sznwzc.jpg

Our dentists constantly remind us to replace our toothbrushes every 90 days so they’re most effective at battling plaque, but how often do we really remember to do that? To make it easier, Brush Buddies has created the 90 Day Brush featuring a timer and built-in LCD display that reminds users exactly when it’s time to get a new one. And at just six bucks, it’s as cheap as other disposable brushes.

To maximize the brush’s display’s usefulness, in addition to counting down the days until it’s time for a new one it also provides useful oral hygiene tips and reminders.

fmdhhzwa6io6uvai2jiu.jpg

And once the 90-day timer has expired, the display will switch to daily messages like “Ewww this brush is gross” that attempt to shame you into finally tossing it out and buying a new one.

There’s no word on whether or not the brush can be recycled, which is a little unfortunate, especially on Earth Day. But if you don’t feel guilty about just tossing it along with the embedded electronics and batteries that make it work, six bucks for a toothbrush that can genuinely improve your oral hygiene routine is a steal.

http://www.brushbuddies.com/90-days-toothbrush-black-product.html

I know I don't remember to do that enough

Project Fi: Google's Plan To Fix Your Wireless Service Is Here

[YT]xfFHnBQ6nQg[/YT]

Google’s Project Fi is the company’s long-rumored wireless carrier service for mobile devices. But far from a traditional plan, Google’s might be the most flexible out there—while also saving you a bundle of money.
Unlike Google’s other public infrastructure program Google Fiber, for which the company is physically putting fiber in the ground, Google isn’t actually building out a network of cell towers for Project Fi. Instead, it’s piggybacking on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks. (This is also how providers like Republic Wireless work.) The plan offers 4G/LTE coverage, and wireless tethering, and Wi-Fi calling all included.

What makes Project Fi special and potentially more reliable than anything out there is that it dynamically switches between networks depending which of those is offering the best service in your area. Additionally, if there’s pre-vetted public Wi-Fi available, it’ll jump on board that network as well. The “network of networks” has a lot of potential to be more reliable. If one network has an outage, the others can serve as support.

The new plans costs $20 for starters, which gets you talk, text, and wireless tethering. Then it costs $10 per GB of data. So if like me, you’ve got 3GB per month, then you would pay $50 per month. The kicker is that if you don’t use all the data you pay for you’ll get paid back for what you don’t use. For now, Project Fi is only available for the Nexus 6 with a special SIM card, but hopefully that will change down the line.

It all sounds pretty sweet, if not exactly different from what Republic Wireless just started offering—though, in the long run, Google’s deep pockets will surely be an asset. Something about the Google name attached to Project Fi makes me both more trustful of it and more suspicious. Sure, Google implies reliability—but I also don’t know how much more control of my digital life I want to give Google.

Google’s currently in an invitation-only phase of the program.

https://fi.google.com/signup?u=0

Behind the Crazy New Analytics Tech Changing How We Watch Baseball

pvhpazdqhlswo0ittbfa.png

If you turned on the Cardinals v Nationals game last night, you witnessed the first live broadcast of Major League Baseball’s awesome new player tracking and statistics system. This is Statcast: The incredibly fast, incredibly detailed art of playing baseball, broken down into easy to digest metrics that make sense. Hell yeah.
Here’s the first in-game Statcast. It’s shows the velocity and spin details of the nasty Gio Gonzalez pitch that got Jhonny Peralta swinging in the first inning. It didn’t run until after Gonzalez’s struck out Mark Reynolds at the beginning of the second inning:

Statcast is now fully deployed across the 30 major league parks. It tracks data on every play, and crunches the numbers into fast analytics presented in easy to read graphics for the viewer at home.
If you’re a fan, you’ve probably seen tests of the player tracking tech creep into broadcasts over the last year—MLB likes to showcase it with this amazing double play from the 2014 Giants v Royals World Series, and I gotta hand it to them it’s an incredibly detailed breakdown of a phenomenal play that has lots of different components to it. (And way more sophisticated than what can be pulled off in real time.)

I remember watching that play last year, and it’s amazing on a number of levels: Joe Panik’s diving stop at second is stunning; Brandon Crawford’s catch and quick turn to throw the ball to first is fantastic. But what I didn’t focus on at first was how boneheaded Eric Hosmer’s slide into first was. He slid, and he was out. Had he run through the bag the way he’d been taught to his entire life, he would’ve been safe. By sliding he’s out by fractions of a second. If he’d run through the bag, he’d have been safe by fractions.

The data captured will be used in both game broadcasts and given to clubs to use to track player performance. As a fan, I’m most interested in how this is going to change the way I watch the game, so I’ll focus on that aspect. (Although, if the Orioles can use it to figure out how to build a starting rotation that works, I’ll be much obliged.)
Starting last night, viewers will see graphical breakdown of stats like perceived velocity and spin rate for pitching; projected home run distance, exit velocity, and launch angle for hitting; lead distance and first step time for baserunning; and first step time, acceleration, speed, and route efficiency. Over time, more will be added to the Statcast live repertoire.
Sound dull and tedious? Welcome to baseball! More than any other sport, baseball is all about numbers. The sport is very slow, and the moments that matter happen almost too fast to see. Stats and numbers make the action you can’t see understandable—and enjoyable.

You can compare it to MLB Advanced Media’s pitch tracking technology, which was introduced a decade ago. It revolutionized how we watch the sport by demystifying pitching. Even on TV you can’t really see what a pitch is doing as it approaches a batter, and pitch tracking finally gave more casual watchers a way to understand just how complex the mechanics of pitching and hitting are.

Defensive plays are some of the most exciting and important plays in baseball, but unlike pitching and hitting, we’ve never been able to quantify them meaningfully. Until now.

MLB media brass are particularly proud of the route efficiency metric they developed. The metric shows how close to a perfect route a fielder ran to make a play. In the video below, Statcast breaks down one of the best plays of the season so far by Kevin Pillar, who robs a home run with a route efficiency of 97.1 percent

It’s a derivative metric, unlike say, first-step time, which with the right told you can objectively measure. “It really speaks to people,” MLB.com CTO Joe Inzerillo told me in an interview about the tech behind Statcast.

According to Inzerillo, the idea for Statcast-like tracking of players on the field was first conceived back around the time that Pitch tracking was first developed but it’s only been technologically possible for the past few years. What specific tech needed to advance to make it possible? It was announced last year at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, and in just over a year, MLB has been able to make the system viable for instant replays.

http://gizmodo.com/behind-the-crazy-new-analytics-tech-changing-how-we-wat-1699133249

Go to the link for the vids since I can't embed them. Some very cool stuff but baseball still bores the hell out of me

Plastic Gears Reinforced With Carbon Fiber Could Replace Metal in Cars

fwfwow1nmhar8v06np2r.jpg

Given the sheer amount of torque and power needed to propel a car that weighs thousands of pounds, you’d think that parts made from plastic would disintegrate in minutes. But researchers have developed a plastic gear reinforced with carbon fiber that’s strong enough to actually be used as a replacement for metal parts in a vehicle.

When a gear is spinning against another gear, the vast majority of the forces are exerted where the teeth actually connect to the gear’s core. So researchers at Japan’s Gifu University and a company called Central Fine Tool added a thin layer of carbon fiber running through each tooth that adequately reinforces and strengthens the part.

ekstlnpcejfyitoecudo.jpg

Because carbon fiber is used sparingly in the part, the new gears are easier and cheaper to produce than their metal counterparts. And because they’re not made from metal, they’re considerably lighter which in turn makes the vehicle lighter and improves its fuel efficiency.

Its creators are hoping to commercialize their product by 2017 as they continue to improve and strengthen its design. But you probably won’t find it under the hood of your new car for a few years after that given the amount of testing automobile manufacturers, and safety regulators, will require before approving them for the road.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20150416/414645/?n_cid=nbptec_tecrs

That could be a game changer for racing

One Old Android Phone Could Make All Your Dumb Things Smart

[YT]VVP9emuFsQI[/YT]

Conventional digital prophet wisdom says that in the near future, everything you own — and a bunch of stuff you don’t — will have a chip, rendering it smart. But this paper proposes an alternate version of the Internet of Things — one where stuff is dumb, and repurposed Android phones (and a bunch of clever code) make your home smart.

In an academic paper, a team from Carnegie Mellon University’s Human-Computer Interaction Institute put forward the idea of what they call Zensors: internet-connected cameras that monitor their surroundings, analyse the goings-on, and send you data and alerts based on pre-set questions.

For example: a camera monitoring a restaurant can be programmed to monitor the number of empty drinks at the bar, and send an alert if that number gets too high. Simultaneously, it will keep an eye on checks sitting on the table, bread baskets needing refills — basically, anything the camera can physically see. All the user has to do is circle an area to be monitored — the bar — and ask a natural-language question, like “how many empty drinks are there”.

The cameras can either be old Android phones, or internet-connected cameras, which makes the sensors easy to deploy. Handling the interpretation of questions, and turning a camera feed into data, is the hard part. To manage that, Zensors proposes a computer/human hybrid system.

grswwkmyqfw1bs8jiysu.jpg

Initially, questions and analysis is handled by crowd-sourced workers (think Amazon’s Mechanical Turks). But as humans answer questions and interpret camera feeds, machines are watching and learning, constantly comparing their answers to those of humans. When the machines reach a suitable level of understanding, the human steps out of the loop, and it becomes a fully automated system.

In a way, Zensors seems like the culmination of dozens of almost-there smart technologies from the last few years: the natural-language intelligence of Google Now and Amazon Echo; the if-this-then-that programming mentality that reduces actions into a series of events, notifications and triggers; Mechanical Turk’s harnessing of human intelligence into a machine-like format.

At the moment, Zensors is in a beta-testing phase, so the closest you’ll come is probably the YouTube video above. But if the Zensors project can turn into reality (and that’s a pretty hefty if), it provides an interesting and very different approach to the impending Internet Of Things dystopia. Rather than having smart wine glasses talking to the smart countertop to alert the waitresses’ smartwatch, the system relies on a one very smart sensor to monitor a bunch of dumb things.

http://www.zensors.com/

This is a fantastic idea

This Box Turns Any 3D Printer Into A Multi-Color, Multi-Material Marvel

o2puhadr5vunpediotkz.jpg

3-D printers are great, as long as all you want to do is print Action Man out of one material, in one color. Multi-color machines exist, but they’re a far cry from the cheap, simple desktop manufacturing revolution we’ve been promised. I just got a peek at a nondescript box that could change all that.

3-D printing in color is a finicky business. The conventional solution is to use multiple extruder heads: one for each color of filament you want to print. While that works — kinda — it has drawbacks, including a decreased build volume (so you can only make smaller things), poor resolution, and unused heads drip-drip-dripping unwanted plastic over your finished build. Plus, it means buying a dedicated, standalone printer, something that costs thousands of dollars.

[YT]z7u_pS58TWY[/YT]

The approach of Mosaic Manufacuring is different. It uses a standalone box, called the Palette, which feeds a mulicolored filament to any single-color 3-D printer. Basically, you put the shoebox-sized Palette between almost any 3-D printer and four spools of filament. Then Palette chops and changes the color, so the printer has the right color material coming out of the printer head at any given moment.

This gets rid of most of the problems associated with regular 3-D printers. There’s no dripping, no decrease in build size — the only drawback is a slight over-usage of materials every time the printer needs to change colors.

bpwtfufjjh3l2emrrezh.gif

huacpehusopahcbsgelp.jpg

Even better, the Palette can accomodate different types of material, not just different colors. If you want to reinforce part of your model with carbon fiber, or wood, or even a conductive material, you can. The team showed me a prototype quadrotor body, built on a 3-D printer, with the power connections built right in — no need for wires to carry power from the battery to the motors.

The multi-colored examples were just as impressive, ranging from the frivolous — a custom business-card-holder, anyone? — to a multi-colored child’s cast, designed to be more appealing to kids.

atkvz2z3nn8ahqj2yvmf.jpg

The Palette is currently up for pre-order on Kickstarter, with the base model running $849 at the moment. As ever, there’s a level of caution to be taken with Kickstarter; but in this instance, the technology and manufacturing process are already perfected, so with any luck, scaling up production should be painless.

Although it might seem like a fairly niche product, the Palette represents a major leap forwards for cheap, consumer printing. There’s a limited number of things that people really want to print out of one single color of plastic, but as soon as you add multiple colors, and multiple materials into the mix, the possibilities explode.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1337298295/the-palette-3d-printing-evolved

This is the game changer the 3D printing world has been waiting on

Engineers Made a Simple Device to Numb Skin So Injections Hurt Less

nfrigs3pvobse8kzrria.jpg

A group of engineering freshmen at Rice University have come up with a clever way to make needles and injections less painful without the use of drugs. And it uses the same approach as those instant ice packs designed to reduce swelling and reduce the pain from a sports injury.

The simple 3D-printed capsule features two sealed chambers, one filled with ammonium nitrate, and the other with water. When the capsule is twisted those ingredients mix producing a chemical reaction the drastically cools a metal cap that can then be applied to a patient’s skin to completely numb it in as little as 60 seconds.

So instead of having to wait an hour for the numbing effects of a topical patch to kick in, this allows a shot to be quickly administered.

[YT]j4jU0RwN5Ps[/YT]

The science behind the device is obviously well known—after all, it’s widely used in ice packs and other applications where instant cooling is necessary. But what makes these students’ invention unique is that eventually the capsule can be integrated into the caps of the sterile disposable needles used in hospitals around the world. So as a nurse is prepping an injection, a patient can use the cap to numb their skin and make the whole process of getting a shot far less painful and intimidating.

http://www.medgadget.com/2015/04/co...-skin-to-prevent-pain-of-drug-injections.html

This is going to make some parents very happy

This Lamp's Levitating Glowing Disc Borders On Magic

gvgurvn5jnfufc4zairx.gif

There’s no shortage of fancy lamps on crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter, but the Lunaluxx looks like it truly brings something unique and innovative to the table, or your desk, or your bedside table. It uses a small floating disk that glows brilliantly when hit with an invisible blue LED from underneath.

It sounds like witchcraft, but the Lunaluxx works using good old science that just seems like magic. That floating disc, held in place by a pair of strong but distanced magnets, contains phosphor that glows with a warm bright white light when hit from below with a blue LED.

iqlcuaiiuc77tgxkwvvb.gif

Turning the Lunaluxx on and off is as easy as removing or inserting that floating disc, although you’ll definitely want to ensure it doesn’t get misplaced or your lamp will suddenly be nothing more than a piece of modern art.

The creators of the Lunaluxx have turned to Kickstarter to help realize their dream, and are trying to raise just shy of $70,000. If you’d like to contribute to their cause, and pre-order a Lunaluxx lamp for yourself, a donation of around $130 will get you on the waiting list with a delivery of January of 2016. A long time away, but at least the lamp’s creators are being honest with how long they feel it will realistically take to put it into production, and you don’t see that often on crowdfunding sites.

[YT]9AInV81vjpE[/YT]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1185320968/lunaluxx/

Neat

You Have No Reason Not to Upgrade To Philips' New $5 LED Light Bulb

qhpyygklqx4ut6s5umc7.jpg

Unless you refuse to light the room where you write about conspiracy theories with anything but antiquated incandescent bulbs, you really don’t have a single reason not to upgrade to Philips’ new 60-watt equivalent LED bulbs that cost just five bucks without a utility rebate.

It will officially be the cheapest 60-watt equivalent LED bulb you can buy when available at Home Depot starting in May in both 2700K and 5000K color temperature versions. And thanks to a shatter-resistant design, it should easily survive its 10-year expected lifespan, costing just over a dollar per year to power its 800 lumens output.

And in celebration of Earth Day tomorrow, Philips and Home Depot have actually teamed up to make the bulb available in a two-for-one pack for the first 90 days. So you can actually get a pair of 60-watt LED bulbs for just five dollars—which should make upgrading your home a whole lot cheaper.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/home

I remember when LED bulbs were mad expensive, this is great news

Samsung's Galaxy S5 Could Have Leaked Your Fingerprints to Hackers

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/04/21/samsung-galaxy-s5-fingerprint-attacks/

That is no bueno

Well that's nice. :o Yeesh. I'm planning on getting a new android phone soon but I think I'll just get a Galaxy S4.

All the more evidence that biometrics is utterly useless when the security behind them is flawed and open to exploitation. With the added bonus you cannot change your fingerprints, retinas or any other part of your body like you could a password.

This Lamp's Levitating Glowing Disc Borders On Magic

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1185320968/lunaluxx/

Neat

That is neat. It looks like something I'd consider buying in the future.

You Have No Reason Not to Upgrade To Philips' New $5 LED Light Bulb

http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/home

I remember when LED bulbs were mad expensive, this is great news
I'm a big fan of LEDs because they are such a great lighting choice and they are in fact cheaper in the long run compared to many of the alternatives, especially the good old fashioned incandescent.

Google Glass 2.0 Is Coming, According To a Google Glass Partner

1223186301538042408.jpg

It seems that Google Glass is down, but not out: Italian eyewear maker Luxottica — better known as the company behind Oakley and Ray-Ban — has confirmed that it’s working with Google to make version 2.0 of the company’s faceputer.

As the WSJ reports, Luxottica’s CEO told a general meeting in Milan that it is “now working on [Google Glass] version 2, which is in preparation.” A Google spokesperson told the WSJ that “the team is heads down building the future of the product,” parrots the party line on Glass’s future pretty well.

As you may remember, Google wound down the initial Glass Explorer program in January of this year, placing the program under Nest CEO Tony Fadell. Some interpreted that as the death knell for the product, but Google claims it’s just the next step for Glass, taking it out of prototype phase and “making it ready for consumers”. Hopefully, part of that preparation involves working with stylish Italian men in suits to make it less ugly.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/04...new-version-of-google-glass-ceo-says/?mod=ST1

I would love to have a pair of them, would be great while I'm on the phones at work

New Software Turns Nearly Any Touchscreen Into A Biometric Scanner

1223178750607723301.jpg

In an effort to fix our broke-ass password system, manufacturers are looking to the world of biometrics, sticking fingerprint scanners into everything from photocopiers to, um, school buses. Now, a team of Yahoo researchers might’ve come up with a way to extend biometric recognition to anything with a touchscreen.

To identify the ridges and depressions that make up a fingerprint, you need a fairly high-resolution scanner — something a capacitive touchscreen most certainly isn’t. But, as the researchers found, you can take the principle of fingerprinting, and apply it to much bigger body parts, which have a better-defined topology.

[YT]JrK1wQjh980[/YT]

In practice, that means pressing your ears or knuckles against a phone screen. The capacitive sensors in the screen are able to map out the relevant body part, check that it’s your ear pressed up against the screen, and unlock the call. The team claims that in their limited study of 12 participants, they managed to reach an accuracy of 99.52 percent.

‘Bodyprint’ will need to be tested at a wider scale before anyone can truly declare it safe — who knows, maybe 3 in 100 people have the same weirdly-shaped knuckles from cracking them all the goddamn time. But if it pans out, bodyprint recognition could be a cheap and effective way to secure everyone’s devices. Not to mention, a good excuse to punch your iPhone from time to time.

http://www.planetbiometrics.com/art...-reveals-plans-for-lsquobodyprint-biometrics/

Seems promising

IBM Can Now Squeeze a Record-Setting 220TB On a Cassette Tape

1223119767239846032.jpg

It’s assumed that once CDs killed off audio cassette tapes, the medium became extinct. But believe it or not, magnetic tape is still alive and well when it comes to data storage, mostly because it’s so cheap. And now that IBM has found a way to squeeze 220 terabytes onto a single cartridge, hard drives will still have plenty of competition for years to come.
IBM’s researchers, working with scientists at FUJIFILM, succeeding in storing 123 billion bits of uncompressed data on just a square inch of magnetic tape. That works out to about 15GB of data which doesn’t sound that impressive when smaller microSD cards can now hold 200GB, but an inch of magnetic tape is much, much cheaper than the $400 SanDisk wants for that microSD.

[YT]bF07LZeCVhk[/YT]

To realize this breakthrough, the researchers actually developed a handful of new technologies including advanced servo controls that enable accurate read and write head positioning to within 6 nanometers, advancements in the write head allowing finer barium ferrite particles to be used in the actual tape, and improved signal processing and error correction algorithms.

There’s no word on when the new tape technology will be available for use in datacenters, but IBM believes it could obviously benefit the recent push towards more and more Cloud storage which still relies on physical hardware to store all of that consumer data.

http://www.gizmag.com/ibm-tape-storage-record/36931/

That is an insane amount of data

MIT Is Developing an AI Cancer Diagnosis System

mijxpgk5vtiwiubd04dj.jpg

Diagnosing cancer is a depressingly common activity in hospitals—but spotting subtle variations in tumor types can require sifting through hundreds of previous cases. At MIT, though, researchers are developing a system that uses Artificial Intelligence to speed up that process.

A team from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory has developed a software system that studies data from existing medical reports in order to suggest cancer diagnoses to doctors. In a paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, the team behind it describes how it can be used identify types of the cancer lymphoma.

There are in fact 50 subtypes of lymphoma, which can be hard to specifically diagnose; up to 15 percent are initially misdiagnosed, slowing treatment. The software developed at MIT taps into large banks of pathology reports, extracting medical data which can be tied together into relationships that the World Health Organization uses to define the sub-types of the cancer. The system also ties words commonly used in the medical records to each of these data points, providing an extra layer of information.

The system can then take a new set of test results and compare it to existing data on a number of levels. The result provides clinicians with both medical data and written descriptions of similar cases, helping suggest the types of lymphoma most likely to be present. There’s still some way to go for the AI system—it needs far more data and some comprehensive testing—but in the future, it could help make the lives of doctors far easier.

http://jamia.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2015/04/09/jamia.ocv016

Sounds great and all but if I want a computer to tell me I have cancer I'll just go to WebMD like the rest of the world does

Security Researcher: It's "Trivial to Bypass Security Tools on Macs"

qn7ynuvsoffh7rgqd3yz.jpg

Time was, Mac owners could sit smugly in the knowledge that their computer was far safer than a Windows machine. But the rise of Apple brought the rise of hacker interest—and now a researcher claims that it’s “trivial for any attacker to bypass the security tools on Macs.”

Apple includes a series of security measures on OS X, of course—but, as Threat Post reports, Patrick Wardle can find a hole easily enough in all of them. Speaking at the the RSA Conference yesterday, fired off a salvo of criticisms of Mac security. On Gatekeeper, the system that keeps unverified apps from running on OS X, he said:

“Gatekeeper doesn’t verify an extra content in the apps. So if I can find an Apple-approved app and get it to load external content, when the user runs it, it will bypass Gatekeeper. It only verifies the app bundle.”​

Of XProtect, Apple’s anti-malware system, he said it was “trivial to bypass.” While the sandbox technology on OS X—which separates live code from new changes—is apparently “strong, there are plenty of bugs that can bypass it,” he claimed. And as for code signing:

“The code signing just checks for a signature and if it’s not there, it doesn’t do anything and lets the app run. I can unsign a signed app and the loader has no way to stop it from running.”​

The overall messages is clear: right now, the security tools in OS X don’t seem to pose too much of a problem for a would-be attackers. With great popularity, though, comes great responsibility—and Apple may just have to up its game a little.

https://threatpost.com/bypassing-os-x-security-tools-is-trivial-researcher-says/112410

Suck on that Apple users

Sending Directions To Your Android Phone Just Got Stupidly Easy

ki1to1spmbvp4uiswty3.gif

Google’s on a drive to make the search box do much more than searching. Last week, it introduced an option to find your phone from the box; this time, it’s sending directions to your handset with about three clicks.

It’s ridiculously simple to use: just Google ‘send directions’, with a pop-up box giving you options to choose your route and which handset (from your list of connected Android devices) to send it to. Once you click send, your phone will open up Google Maps in a matter of seconds, and you’ll be good to go.

I’ve been kinda-sorta using a similar, click-free feature for years now — if you Google for a location on desktop before going somewhere, you can pull up Google Now, and it will normally give you the option to navigate to that place. But the new integration is even slicker, and entirely reliable. Just step closer into the welcoming arms of Google, and don’t ask questions.

https://plus.google.com/+google/posts/ho8Lyjtkdnk

Why I wouldn't just search for it on my phone if that's where I need it we will never know

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"