The Tim Burton/Kevin Smith Feud

Noir

Avenger
Reaction score
I don't know if you've seen this but Kevin Smith had some stuff to say about Tim Burton and such on his Evening With Kevin Smith DVD..

I am not going to post the video directly because it does contain strong language but I will give the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKbAEmvZyKQ

I think that Kevin is.. well, hate to admit it, but Kevin is right about alot of that stuff.

I love KS. I don't agree with all of the things he says, but the guy sure has a great sense of humor, to me.

Quite old news.

But well, I hate the fatso. He bashes then when payed to talk about B89 on the special edition then he praises. :down: He should get over the fact he hasn't gone as far as Burton or Peters.

I'd need to see Burton, Peters, etc's defence on this. Then again it is better when insulted people don't go down to the insulter level.

It's kinda pathetic though how Smith always dances around everything with a million "and I'm like... whoa... WTF duuuude... like, whatever..." and just because he knows how to get a crowd of college students to laugh (and that's a really tough job! :whatever:), he's always on the right side of any argument.

Basically, what he said in that piece didn't have anything to do with anything. The question was "what do you think of Batman?" and Smith never says a word about why he thinks the movie is good or flawed, he just turns it into a device to make fun of Burton. And that's fine, but he shouldn't dress it up as this true-to-life anecdote about how he's the cool, wise dude in all of it and everyone else are morons for not getting his "unique" sense of dry humour.

It's almost like a bully who pretends to take a punch at you and when you flinch, he goes "wow, you're such an idiot. can't you see I'm joking?" and then makes the whole class laugh at you.

That story is specifically designed to get those laughs, it's an ad hominem razzing of Burton. I mean, notice how he uses Burton's appearance against him and then defends doing so by implying Burton probably does the same. He's okay in saying "Tim Burton's movies suck cause he's a goth freak with weird hair" because he implies Burton says "Kevin Smith's movies suck cause he's a fat nerd". And yet, when did we ever hear that?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm just a bit fed up with people just swallowing whatever bull Kevin Smith feeds 'em. The guy is a petty jerk with -granted- good comedic timing, but who can't talk about anything but himself. Why entire lecture halls fill up to watch this, I have no idea. Why people pay money to see this on dvd, is a mystery. He's not a bad writer and he's even a passable director, but I'm still waiting for the first Kevin Smith movie that actually has something to say. Unless of course he wants his audience to react the same way he always does: "like, yeah uhh whatever, dude..." :o

The guy is a petty jerk with -granted- good comedic timing, but who can't talk about anything but himself.

Well, the guy has interesting stories to say, even if they're tailored to suit him.

Why entire lecture halls fill up to watch this, I have no idea. Why people pay money to see this on dvd, is a mystery.

They wanna laugh. He's good at making people laugh, imo.

He's not a bad writer and he's even a passable director, but I'm still waiting for the first Kevin Smith movie that actually has something to say.

I have to disagree with that. Chasing Amy is one of my best love stories and Dogma had some satiric things to say about Christendom. Not deep, mind you, but the critique was there. Plus, Clerks was a fantastic film about 2 average young men who have already lost to life.

Unless of course he wants his audience to react the same way he always does: "like, yeah uhh whatever, dude..." :o

I don't react like that. Like I said, I don't agree with all of the stuff he has to say, but he's an interesting and fun guy to watch.

Whether he's phoney (sp?) or not, I can't tell. Sometimes, people I thought of as my friends have amazed/apalled me, so if KS is not being entirely truthful and all that jazz, I couldn't care less, I'm not marrying him or his sister or anything.

"..And he was all like "The Gloves Are Off!!!
mad.gif
......Lets go"
unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Classic Q&A, never gets old

"He was like "Anyone who knows me, knows I would never read a comic book"....which ****ing explains Batman"

shocking.gif
laugh.gif

"He was like "Anyone who knows me, knows I would never read a comic book"....which ****ing explains Batman"

shocking.gif
laugh.gif

Its funny because all of Smith's Criticisms of Burton are true, yet everyone is saying different.

"The Scissorhands came out!"

Its funny because all of Smith's Criticisms of Burton are true, yet everyone is saying different.

"The Scissorhands are out!"

"Im a kooky guy, I make Movie Magic" *does Vogue hand poses*:woot:

Yeah it was funny, but people need to stop taking Kevin seriously, he was obviously kidding around. Even Burton knows that, its all good.

LMAO@ Bumble Ward :lmao:.....Yo Kev was straight lunching on this dude.

Fact is, even if he didn't like their approaches, he wrote a script for them.

Fact is, even if he didn't like their approaches, he wrote a script for them.

The funny part is when he talked about how they constantly brought him in and had him pitch to more people. I hate it when companies do that ****. Constantly brining in a supplier or external contact to explain what there offering ( in the Studios case a scriptwriter) and constantly brining them in again and again with more people just listening. Just ****ing bring them in the first time. I swear I deal with a few clients who do that.

Ya I dont understand why this is called The Tim Burton/Kevin Smith Feud Thread?

I saw this while ago, Kevin Smith is funny :funny:

shocking.gif
laugh.gif

What does that prove? That the most successful Batman movie must be made not reading comic books? Or the fact that when he praised the movie on the special dvd edition he was being cynical?

The guy's bitter because a) his carreer is way under Burton's or Peter's, b) he wrote a script which he wasn't agree with but he did it for the money and c) they ended up for rejecting such script.

What does that prove? That the most successful Batman movie must be made not reading comic books? Or the fact that when he praised the movie on the special dvd edition he was being cynical?

The guy's bitter because a) his carreer is way under Burton's or Peter's, b) he wrote a script which he wasn't agree with but he did it for the money and c) they ended up for rejecting such script.

Oh, he was just joking around relax. :whatever: Some of you fanboys take everything so seriously. He even said he enjoyed the film anyway. If Tim Burton ever has a Celeb Roast, you gonna smash your TV Joker style?

You guys Tim Burton way too seriousy. Tim Burton doesnt even take Tim Burton seriously, relax.

Most people on here take themselves way too seriously.

I do admit though too many fans are over-obsessed enough where they'll defend their idols even if they have no facts or logic to back it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"