• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Toxic Avenger - reborn at a theatre soon

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64882

The Toxic Avenger is Coming Back
Source: Deadline New York
April 7, 2010

A remake of The Toxic Avenger is in the works and will be produced by Akiva Goldsman, Richard Saperstein and Charlie Corwin. Original Media has acquired the rights to franchise that includes sequels, an animated TV series and comic books. The company will finance the development of a script.

Michael Herz and Lloyd Kaufman directed the 1984 original, which starred Andree Maranda, Mitchell Cohen, Pat Ryan Jr., Jennifer Baptist, Robert Pritchard, Cindy Manion, Gary Schneider and Mark Torgl.

The film is set in Tromaville, New Jersey - a small American town, terrorized by criminals. Among the residents of Tromaville is Melvin, a nerdy emaciated janitor at the local health club. A gang of thugs devise a cruel hoax that goes horribly wrong as Melvin is cast through a third story window into a vat of hazardous toxic waste. However, an unexpected metamorphosis takes place. As the chemicals take hold of his body, Melvin turns into the Toxic Avenger, doer of good, and brutal mauler of evil.

Deadline New York says "the group intends to turn Toxie into a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times." The remake is expected to be a family friendly PG-13 action comedy.

TOXIC CRRUUUUUUSADERS! TOXIC CRUUUUUSADERS! :awesome:

Sorry to be a party pooper but i can see this bombing hard.

****ing WOW! A PG-13 family film?????????????????

I'll pass on this and stick to the unrated gory as hell original...like a Troma film should be.

Last edited:
Has much as I hate most Troma films, this movie was complete genius and amazing.

But a PG-13 family friendly film? What the hell? That'll take away everything that made the original so much fun. No thanks. :down

Has much as I hate most Troma films, this movie was complete genius and amazing.

But a PG-13 family friendly film? What the hell? That'll take away everything that made the original so much fun. No thanks. :down

Exactly.

I agree with what you said about most Troma films. Toxic Avenger was the only good one in my opinion. Well, for one of my birthdays a few years back my friend got me Monster in the Closet as a joke gift. Me and a few friends would watch that growing up, it's pretty godawful though.

****ing WOW! A PG-13 family film?????????????????

I'll pass on this and stick to the unrated gory as hell original...like a Troma film should
thou speaketh the truth!

they shouldn't be making this movie unless there are numerous gratuitous boobie shots and a sex scene with a blind girl.

what's a Troma film? :huh:
Its a movie company from the 70's and 80's that made these low budget horror films that were so far out there in violence, sex and just about anything else weird.

I've never seen one, but I heard most of their films are like WTF?

The Mothers Day Remake thats coming out is sorta based on the original from Troma.

Deadline New York says "the group intends to turn Toxie into a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times." The remake is expected to be a family friendly PG-13 action comedy.
The original movie is pretty bad, but this sounds far worse. It seems like they're making him into a possibly even lamer version of Captain Planet.

[YT]roq0lQ43dlQ[/YT]

I had no friends, no girls to hug me.

Till I got radioactive ugly.

Anyone actually remember the video game they had for Sega? I remember I had that game and watched the cartoon when I was younger. LOL.

i remember the 'Toxic Crusaders' cartoons being really funny as a kid.

I'm actually looking forward to this,this could be a good family friendly movie in the vain of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Short Circuit 2.

LOL! a PG-13 remake of the Toxic Avenger, LOL! This is a joke right? No one is that stupid. No one can possibly be this stupid. Seriously, the boobs was one of the only things that made these movies watchable (mostly the sequels...which are terrible).

Its a movie company from the 70's and 80's that made these low budget horror films that were so far out there in violence, sex and just about anything else weird.

I've never seen one, but I heard most of their films are like WTF?

The Mothers Day Remake thats coming out is sorta based on the original from Troma.

thanks! I was afraid people were going to curse me for not knowing what a Troma film is...:csad:

To be honest, the only one that are aware of the Tromaverse are such a small section of the populous it wouldn't matter if they made it more family friendly. Seriously.

To be honest, the only one that are aware of the Tromaverse are such a small section of the populous it wouldn't matter if they made it more family friendly. Seriously.
But its the internet, so people need to whine about everything, no matter how little known it is. Cause this is what "classics" are made of.:o

But its the internet, so people need to whine about everything, no matter how little known it is. Cause this is what "classics" are made of.:o

No one is calling this a classic. It's just stupid to take a cult R series and try to make it more family friendly just for the sake of doing it. Does anyone REALLY think this will be succesful? I don't. Not because of fanboy boycotts and such, but because this idea is stupid. The concept of the series is stupid. The movies are stupid. But, at least they're somewhat entertaining CAUSE they're stupid and ridiculously over-the-top. By taking away what makes the series fun, you're just left with what sucks.

I don't see anyone going to watch this. The Toxic Avenger doesn't have a credible concept to pitch to a mainstream audience. It is only for people who like "stupid" movies.

I'm not calling people who watch these stupid or bad film fans. I'm just saying that these are not trying to be artsy like Citizen Kane or appeal to a wide audience. Which is why they work in their way.

Look at this way. Let's say I want to remake Schindler's List. Holocaust film, gritty, etc.

Now, I decide in the remake, it doesn't take place during the Holocaust. It is now modern day New Jersey. All the character names are the same and such. Oh, and instead of it being about genocide, it is about raising a farm of puppies.

If I am basically making a whole other movie, with no resemblance to what the series is and I am just keeping the characters in name only, is this right? If people whined about my modern day remake of Schindler's List about a puppy farm, I think people would have every right to complain.

When I say Classic I was just talking about stuff in general.

You could have the most hated movie ever and people find out its getting remade and automatically it becomes a classic.

Its just the classic internet thing to do. (no pun intended)

Toxic Avenger, without boobs and other great stuff that made the original such a hoot to watch? C'mon, kids these days won't watch a B-movie about a mutated janitor anyway, and the naked chicks were one of the only things that made the original enjoyable to watch. It was such a classic campy & sleazy low-budget movie from the 80's and they are going to try to ruin it with a PG-13 remake. Unbelievable.

I remember watching the first two TA movies back when USA network had that USA Up All Night with Gilbert Gottfried as host, good times man but the movies are fun is your totally bored out of your mind or are wasted.

And here's a bit of trivia, Michael Jai White of TDK and Spawn fame played a thug in Toxic Avenger 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"