The USS Vengeance

The reason why it's a giant, scaled up Enterprise, instead of some sleek, small, and compact little fighter like the Defiant makes sense when you think of the fact that "Harrison" built it.

Khan probably was still relatively limited in what knowledge he has of future tech, so he thought the way he would if he were still in the Eugenics wars. He probably started with the already advanced and powerful Enterprise than made a lot of efficiency driven decisions but followed it up by sticking in more weapons, more engines, and more shielding. And he probably thought like a tyrant when he built it, so he probably designed it to be intimidating as well. Alternatively, he wanted to make a ship with weaknesses he could exploit but could still give to the Admiral. The whole ship got shutdown by one random engineer and commandeered by one superhuman and two regular Starfleet officers. It's just begging to be taken over once it's shield's are down.

Personally, I thought its design lacked any subtlety, but what do you expect of the team that turned the Enterprise into a unbalanced hot rod (on the outside, they did a great job with the interior).
It was far too blatantly a bad guy ship. It would have been much more interesting if they went with the idea that the the Vengeance was more than she appeared. Also, it would have been more meaningful and unnerving if Marcus and his crew wore normal Starfleet uniforms during the confrontation.

Personally, I thought its design lacked any subtlety, but what do you expect of the team that turned the Enterprise into a unbalanced hot rod (on the outside, they did a great job with the interior).
It was far too blatantly a bad guy ship. It would have been much more interesting if they went with the idea that the the Vengeance was more than she appeared. Also, it would have been more meaningful and unnerving if Marcus and his crew wore normal Starfleet uniforms during the confrontation.

Your angers gives me great pleasure!

Your angers gives me great pleasure!

Bahh! And I am the "venomous" and "nasty" one for being pleased that the movie is underperforming. At least, I don't take direct pleasure in others' displeasure.

I actually had a blowing of the mind when the Vengeance overshot the Enterprise in Warp Drive.

I actually had a blowing of the mind when the Vengeance overshot the Enterprise in Warp Drive.

Really? That sort of thing was very common in old Trek. I did enjoy how they made the Enterprise being forced to drop out of warp more visually interesting, although it doesn't make much sense given how warp drive works.

Really? That sort of thing was very common in old Trek. I did enjoy how they made the Enterprise being forced to drop out of warp more visually interesting, although it doesn't make much sense given how warp drive works.

A lot of people have problems with the physics and visuals, but I don't because of this very reason. A lot of actions in old Trek were static. And maybe that's scientifically sound, but it's not dramatic at all. Dropping out of warp like that just adds to the visual excitement. I can't criticize Abrams like some people do, because for all his focus on visual effects, he never forgets characters and story, unlike someone like Michael Bay.

He makes popcorn fare (which a lot of hardcore Trekkers hate) but there IS a great deal of heart in these two Trek movies that has been missing since Star Trek VI.

The Vengeance was great, would have liked the Enterprise to give it a bit more of a fight than it though, especially after the Narada gave it an ass-kicking in the last movie.

That was the point. It wasn't supposed to be subtle. The Klingons were supposed to see the ship and be like "Oh crap! Guess we're gonna die with honor, huh?"

FEAR was one of its weapons.

That was the point. It wasn't supposed to be subtle. The Klingons were supposed to see the ship and be like "Oh crap! Guess we're gonna die with honor, huh?"

FEAR was one of its weapons.

Fear and surprise, surprise and fear ... TWO of its weapons! Its two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency! It's THREE chief weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency ... and a fanatical loyalty to the Prime Directive. Dammit, let's try this again ...

Fear will keep these Klingons in line. Fear of this battlestat- I mean warship.

I loved this ship. Even though it's been three movies in a row of "Big, black super-powerful bad guy ship thrashes the Enterprises", this ship was probably my favourite of the three. It was strangely unsettling to see a dark mirror to the Enterprise.

Abrams is so great at staging and timing action. I audibly gasped when the Vengeance made her grand entrance. It shocked me. Usually when the bad guy ship shows up, it's a slower reveal, we see it from a distance then a shot with the Enterprise in the background. That's basically how it was in the preceding movie and Nemesis, and various Next Gen episodes. But in STID... The Enterprise is big in front of us, then BOOM! Fantastic.

And I said out loud by accident 'Oh, ****!' when the it caught up with the Ent in warp. Great shot and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"