The Warriors Three

I really can only see Abraham Benrubi or maybe Tyler Labine as Volstagg.

For me, "open to all ethnicites" really doesn't work for the Volstagg character. I mean can you see an Anthony Anderson as Volstagg without it turning into a farce? An Asian Hogunn would work though.

I really can't see Anthony Anderson in anything without it turning into a farce. But that's the actor, not his race. I could see a jovial fat black guy working just as well as a jovial fat white guy for Volstagg. Just depends on which jovial fat guy they get either way.

Abraham Benrubi would definitely be awesome, though. Tyler Labine seems a bit young; Volstagg's a warrior from Odin's era, remember? He's like a goofy, drunk uncle to Thor. :)

Last edited:
So you're taking the "open to all ethnicities" literally as being for a character appropriate actor, Corp?

I take that casting call more as being studio-speak for them wanting the role filled with a chubby "hip" actor that (1) is recognizable to the movie goers and (2) fills their marketing department's demographic quota. That's why I brought up Anthony Anderson's name.

I guess the skeptic in me fears that we'll get an Anderson long before a Benrubi and the role will be more akin to a cameo character from "Epic Movie" than a LOTR supporting character.

I wouldn't really can't see Anthony Anderson in anything without it turning into a farce. But that's the actor, not his race. I could see a jovial fat black guy working just as well as a jovial fat white guy for Volstagg. Just depends on which jovial fat guy they get either way.

You really need to check out Season 4 of The Shield.

Having watched the first 3 seasons of The Shield, I literally rolled my eyes upon hearing the announcement that Anthony Anderson was joining the cast. "Whaaaat?" I thought, "The unfunny comedy guy?" I began preparing myself for The Shield to jump the shark by introducing a pratfalling comic relief into the supporting cast.

Then I actually watched his role as Antwon Mitchell develop. Intense, utterly terrifying, and as far removed from comedy as you could possibly imagine. A truly despicable, frightening villain. I watched that, and thought, "Where's THAT Anthony Anderson been all these years!?!?"

Not that I'd want him for Volstagg. I just felt the need to defend the actor on this occasion, as Anthony Anderson really is better than the material he tends to find himself doing.

Robbie Coltrane should be Volstagg, IMO.

Robbie Coltrane is best known as the voice of Gooby!

o ok i didnt remeber his name... he would be a great choice as well

So now we've got two Warriors Three casting calls out there

Thor - Official Casting Call for Volstagg

[VOLSTAGG]
Male. Early to mid 30s. 6'2" or taller. Obese but agile, fun, good-hearted, a warrior but prefers eating over fighting...SUPPORTING; OPEN TO ALL ETHNICITIES.
SOURCE

Thor - Official Casting Call for Hogun

[HOGUN]
Male. ASIAN / SOUTH EAST ASIAN / MONGOLIAN / EAST INDIAN. Late 20s to mid 30s. Grim, stoic, fearless. A man of few words who lives for battle...SUPPORTING.
SOURCE

I wonder if they're going to send out a casting call for Fandral, or if they already have a "name" in mind

If they want an Indian actor for Hogun Naveen Andrews (Sayid from Lost) would be good. His 40 but he could easily pass for a guy in his mid 30s and he would be a recognisable face to alot of movie goers.

Robbie Coltrane should be Volstagg, IMO.
I suggested that a long time ago, but then I saw Brendan Gleason in Kingdom to Heaven and realized he could easily play Volstagg, as well as Odin.

If they want an Indian actor for Hogun Naveen Andrews (Sayid from Lost) would be good. His 40 but he could easily pass for a guy in his mid 30s and he would be a recognisable face to alot of movie goers.
Not at all the look I would expect for Hogun, but I wouldn't be averse to it. Personally, I think Oded Fehr would make a great Hogun. The casting call makes it seem like they really want someone who looks more Mongolian or Chinese, though. Hogun is supposed to look somewhat Mongolian in the comics.

heh Jakie Chan?

You know who Hogun's always reminded me of, Charles Bronson.

I never thought of it before, but I could see Bronson as Hogun. He's probably too old, though.

yeah just like Borgnine for Odin's part.

Volstagg - Brian Posehn
brianposehnd.jpg

I've always thought Cary Elwes' Role as Westley in Princess Bride was close to Fandral.

I've always thought Cary Elwes' Role as Westley in Princess Bride was close to Fandral.

Imagine if we would have had Elwes as Fandral, Inigo Montoya as Hogun, and Andre the Giant as Volstagg? :D

THAT would ROCK Lobo! tho Andre was a bit tall for even Thor. Andre would have made a Great Asgardian of some kind.

Interesting potential choices we've gotten so far regarding the supporting cast. Can't wait to see who gets the role of Hogun the Grim. To be honest, I didn't know anything about the character's backstory until now. Apparently, Hogun's homeland was invaded by Mogul of the Mystic Mountain who killed his folks in the process. As far as his appearance goes, he never really struck me as being Asian; just a white dude with dark tufts of facial hair. I can definitely see the Mongolian influence in his costume now that you all mention it though.
Still, I'd much prefer someone like Scott Glenn to portray the stoic character.
He seems born for the role if you ask me!

castingcall-hogun.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"