The world's first time machine?

"Cynics often point out that if time travel was really possible, we would have been visited by people from the future. However, Einstein's laws of physics suggest that time travel is only possible into the past as far as the point when the first time machine was invented."
I'll bet you're getting tired of posting that.

If they f*** up the universe, I'm going to be pissed! :cmad:

this idea is full of fail. i dont want to be a communist, or a nazi. please no one go back in time.

No one else finds the idea of Russians trying to recreate the Big Bang alarming?

jag

I can't see it happening, they've been talking about doing this stuff for years. The media has a tendency to blow things out of proportion for a good story. The problem is that even if they do succeed, the hole will never even be big enough or last long enough for anyone or thing to seep through. If they happen to succeed then it still probably won't matter as the wormhole would collapse because it would be unstable. The only way they say to keep these things open is with some sort of as yet found exotic matter. They intended to open a wormhole and I think either cover the ship or the wormhole itself with this matter. Assuming they beat those odds and that works then you still have no clue where you are going to end up on the other side...assuming their is another side.

That said, this might not be anything new really, scientists talk about how things like protons poke in and out of our universe. I don't see how the experiment would do anything other than simply back up their assumptions on this theory.

I hope they pull a T-Rex into the tunnel with them. That would be awesome.

jag

I hope they pull a T-Rex into the tunnel with them. That would be awesome.

jag

T_RexatWheeley.jpg

I've always wanted to see them perform 'Bang a Gong' live!

You make me sad, jmanspice. :(

jag

Guess I'm late. It seems they found some sort of matter they might be able to use.

"Kip Thorne, a gravitational theorist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, showed in 1988 that these tunnels could be kept open by an exotic form of matter known as Casimir energy.
This energy, which has been measured in a laboratory, is a sort of quantum vacuum. Weighing less than zero, Casimir energy would have an anti-gravitational effect, keeping the wormhole's walls apart."

Makes it more probable I guess.

now would they waste the time experimenting on animals or would the scientist s just hop right the f*** in?

What is the point with a time machine, the paradoxes are limitless.

then I read this lol

"Phantom Energy

But the material needed to construct and support wormholes has been given a boost from the recent discovery that the universe is undergoing an accelerated expansion, says Lobo, the University of Lisbon scientist.

A possible driver of this cosmic expansion, he says, is "phantom energy," a hypothetical matter that may comprise as much as 70 percent of the universe.

Phantom energy may be pushing space apart and is so anti-gravitational that it will eventually rip everything apart, ending everything. However, before then, it could be used to prop open wormholes, Lobo theorizes.

In a rather speculative scenario, one could imagine an absurdly advanced civilization mining the cosmic fluid for phantom energy necessary to construct and sustain a traversable wormhole," he said. "

Now that is scary. This same energy is responsible for the expansion and probably the demise of our universe, is it really safe for humans to play with this kind of stuff? We see what happens when we learned about the atom and nuclear forces....I'd hate to see a gun that could rip apart a piece of the universe. lol

now would they waste the time experimenting on animals or would the scientist s just hop right the f*** in?
They send an animal back in time and then we suddenly pop to a future with monkeys as our rulers:o :wow:
right-wing-bestiality.jpg

So, if they open a hole in the Space/Time continutum, could they send a message back in time explaining how to make a time machine so they could make one back then, which would negate the present day scientists reason for creating a time machine which would cause them to never make one, which means that the past scientists wouldn't get the message, which means that the present day scientists....

wow.... I'm confused.

I'll be like everyone else and say... cool.

Huh?

I don't think that time travel will ever be possible, because if it were, odds are we would have all been screwed over big time by now.

Okay, think about that a minute...

See the problem with that statement?

i thought the last fantastic four issue described time travel perfectly... you can go back in time but when an event is changed, it merely sets off a fork in time.. a seperate timeline from the original one. essentially we have nothing to worry about... if they go back into the past, were not going to wake up one day with president lincoln as secretary of state and being ruled by giant cats.

What is the point with a time machine, the paradoxes are limitless.

If that is the case then we are already in a paradox. And in hearing this news each of us has opened a whole new mess of paradoxes. Eventually if enough people become aware of this, enough paradoxes will open to possibley rip a hole in the time-space continueum. It could even be possible for this 'wormhole' to open in each of our own's closet for our use and our use alone.

I suggest we email this story to everyone we can and see if anything happens.

i thought the last fantastic four issue described time travel perfectly... you can go back in time but when an event is changed, it merely sets off a fork in time.. a seperate timeline from the original one. essentially we have nothing to worry about... if they go back into the past, were not going to wake up one day with president lincoln as secretary of state and being ruled by giant cats.

Uh, I'm kind of hoping for something like that.

I've always wanted to go back to the time of Christ's crucifiction and stake out the cave he was sealed in, to see whether or not he came back to life. I'd either become enlightened and a believer, or I would be able to go on living my life knowing that I'm right.

If time travel was possible, even in the far future, wouldn't we already know about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"