Themiscrya & The Amazons discussion thread

I wanted to see some more mythological creatures on the island, like Pegasus.

I'd really like it if they incorporated Dooms Doorway to the Amazons/Island
3641556-pic03.jpg

I wanted to see some more mythological creatures on the island, like Pegasus.

It could be interesting if Doom's Doorway/Gates of Tartarus unleashed mythological creatures, gods etc.

Time could be spent in a sequel showing any creatures that may be on the island, whether mythological or exotic etc. (or kangas.)

It would've been really great to see this with the Amazons in down time just relaxing, and in classic Greek white dresses and not in warrior garb or warrior mode.

Although they are warriors, I would hope they would also have other pursuits like art, music, philosophy, academia, or even other sports similar to the Olympics (which come from the Greeks in the first place).

A nice little detail in the WW movie novel is during a description of Themyscira:

Sheltered bowls of land had been formed into arenas and the amphitheater where plays and poetry festivals were held.

That aspect of Amazon life is only hinted at but it is nice to see and can be included, even if only briefly, in the future.

How 'Wonder Woman's' Island Home Was Created

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/how-wonder-womans-island-home-was-created-1012264

ww-25380rcc-h_2017.jpg

Wonder Woman, which just completed its second weekend atop the domestic box office, begins on Themyscira, the breathtaking island that Diana calls home and also one of the most challenging aspects of the film's production design.

"We talked about creating a beautiful island, but not being too close to the Greek islands, which is the obvious inspiration," explains two-time Oscar nominated production designer Aline Bonetto (Amelie, A Very Long Engagement)."We wanted a beautiful, natural environment that the Amazons protect as the environment protects them. It's lush, green."

"I designed troglodyte architecture for its organic shape," she continues. "Using the natural cavities as living spaces, the Amazons prove their ability to live in harmony with their environment. In fact, in Themyscira, I avoid as much as possible straight lines. The curved lines evoke more femininity. They also don't need doors. I tried to show in the design that they live in an open space and are free."

The result was a combination of location photography in Italy, including on the Amalfi coast, with visual effects to further sculpt cliffs and landscape as well as the buildings. "We needed a beach for the main battle scene - a white beach surrounded by cliffs," says Bonetto. "But if you look for a real beach with cliffs, it's not possible to film because of the high tides."

The throne room was designed as an open grotto with a view of the island. "All the seats for the Themyscirian assembly form a circle. I wanted this circle to describe a council room, the place where the Amazons use to meet when important decisions have to be taken in a democratic way.

"It took me a long time to find the right shape of the the stairs to integrate it naturally in this organic space. I wanted it in an art deco spirit but with curved lines. I decided to introduce art deco motives in the Themysciran architecture to contrast with the organic lines of the mineral walls bringing modern, stylized lines with their Greek inspirations. By that, I also wanted to show that, although these women live in a natural environment, they had harnessed certain techniques that allowed them to build very refined architectural elements."

Another point of note, the headboard in Dianaï's bedroom was inspired by Boticelliï's painting The Birth of Venus. "It's shell tells that the Amazons, like her, came from the sea, but also I wanted to design a central metal element that looks like a shield and suggests the fighting that Diana will have to lead."

The film is set in 1918, at the end of WWI. The island also serves as a sharp contrast to the outside world, as Diana later travels to London and then the Western Front, which its grayer, darker color palette.

Wonder Woman Costume Illustrations Of Queen Hippolyta And Amazon Guards

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/12/wonder-woman-costume-illustrations-hippolyta-amazons

Costume illustrator J.P. Targete (John Carter) took part in an interview with us and shared a trio of costume illustration he created -- based on designs by costume designer Lindy Hemming -- for Wonder Woman.

Before getting to the artwork, let's take a quick moment to see how the film is performing financially. As it was predicted going into the weekend, Wonder Woman scored its second consecutive win at the North American box office. Dropping just 45% from its debut, it pulled in a robust $57.2M in its second frame. Its domestic total now stands at $205M, putting it slightly behind 2005's Batman Begins ($206.8M) and 2013's Thor: The Dark World ($206.3M). At the international box office, Wonder Woman scooped up $58.1M, pushing its overseas total to $230.2M.

From start to finish, can you describe your process for illustrating Queen Hippolyta's costume?

J.P. Targete: Out of all the designs I illustrated, this was the most important as this was the queen. It started out with a plain template of a posed woman. Once that was done, the costume designer would print that out and roughly sketch his design over that. We would also gather material references such as leathers, metals, and any other materials. I would then start the process of rendering and painting color and texture over his initial design. For me, I wanted to make sure the embellishing I did was clear and as realistic as I could do it yet capture the essence of what the costume designer wanted.

hippolyta-horseback-low-1002195.jpg

How's if feel to be part of a film that shattered the glass ceiling for female directors and female-led superhero films?

J.P: It feels fantastic and is a bonus honor as it was unexpected. I always go into a job trying to do my best work; however, understanding I have no control over how good the movie will turn out, so I'm elated with the results. I'm hoping we see more females and minorities directing more of these films but also more of them working as concept artists and costume illustrators. Being a minority myself, this is a great step in that direction.

For young artists that want to one day become a professional artist like yourself, what advice would you give them?

J.P: My advice would be work hard, but also watch and enjoy movies and art, read comics that you like. Furthermore, create your own content: films, comics, paintings. The world can never have too much 'art.' This is a great part of what connects us as human beings.

What was the most challenging part of illustrating the Amazons' costumes?

J.P: For me, the challenge was making sure I didn't go over the top with color and texture, as I'm more of a creature designer. I had to keep a measure of restraint so we didn't go over the top. These designs had to look tactical yet elegant and unique.

Since the Amazons are practical, how did influence the decorative elements of their costumes?

J.P: The Costume designers introduced a bit of Greek influences but also brought a little bit of original motifs such as the intertwined 'W' shapes and eagle shapes we see in much of Wonder Woman's design and Hippolyta's costume.

queens-guard-a-low-1002197.jpg

penetralium-guards-low-1002198.jpg

Fight like a girl! Meet the real-life wrestlers, Olympic athletes, and even FARMERS who play Wonder Woman's all-female warriors in the new movie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nder-Woman-s-pro-athlete-Amazon-warriors.html

While stars Gal Gadot and Robin Wright are receiving critical acclaim for their powerful performances in the new Wonder Woman film, less prominent members of the cast are earning some recognition too.

The film's array of Amazon warriors - who are behind some of the most intense action sequences in the film - are no ordinary extras. Rather, when it came time for director Patty Jenkins to select her cast, she opted to fill the island of Themyscira with real-life wrestlers, trainers, farmers, and even Olympic athletes.

Behind-the-scenes photos from the making of the movie, which was filmed from 2015 to 2016, show the all-female ensemble training, posing, and even finding a moment to relax on Italy's Amalfi Coast.

412ABDF700000578-4596296-image-m-17_1497279646861.jpg

Warrior women: When it came to casting Wonder Woman's island of Amazon warriors, director Patty Jenkins chose fighters (L to R: Brooke Ence, Hari James, Madeleine Vall Beijner)

412AD67100000578-4596296-image-a-9_1497279230511.jpg

Practice makes perfect: In order to prepare for the shoot, the women, like Olympian Jenny Pacey (pictured) spent weeks training in London

412ACA3E00000578-4596296-image-a-11_1497279246219.jpg

Strong! Among the Amazon cast are CrossFit trainers, martial arts champions, and even farmers (L to R: Hari James, Madeleine Vall Beijner, Hayley Warnes, Brooke Ence)

Among the cast is American CrossFit champion Brooke Ence, Swedish fighter Madeleine Vall Beijner, farmer Clare Duncan, and martial artist Mayling Ng, just to name a few.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the ensemble cast spent weeks training in London, where they learned to ride horses, throw spears, and use swords - often all at once.

For some of the women, the training was actually a lesson in appearing less tough than usual. The aforementioned Madeleine Vall Beijner told Entertainment Weekly, 'I've been training for 12 years not to show anything, even how hard I get hit.'

412AD65F00000578-4596296-image-a-12_1497279256550.jpg

Amazons, assemble! The cast, including yogi Sarah Smith (pictured), was formed through a combination of scouting and happenstance interactions in the fitness and athletics world

412AD67A00000578-4596296-image-a-10_1497279237616.jpg

Taking a break: While the warriors may have relaxed on set, there was no time for rest as they studied horseback riding, spear-throwing, and swordfighting

412ABE0300000578-4596296-image-m-18_1497279969426.jpg

Hitting the beach: After training in London, the cast headed to Italy's Amalfi Coast to film (L to R: Brooke Ence, Doutzen Kroes, and Madeleine Vall Beijner)

Trainers were forced to tell Beijner, 'You�re supposed to show that it hurts!' to which she responded, 'No, I don't get hurt! I'm a fighter!'

Brooke Ence said that it was 'really cool to see this whole training area, and there's not one male figure in sight.'

She describes the practice zone as 'women wrestling other women, kickboxing, doing pull-ups and practicing with spears - just a lot of stuff that in the real world is very male-dominated.'

Once training wrapped and filming began, these women kicked their skills into high gear. Ence recalled, 'The first day we were on-set with all of our swords and shields, it felt like a different type of power.'

412AD65600000578-4596296-image-m-19_1497279987452.jpg

Toning it down: Some of the women were such skilled fighters, that they actually had to be told to act hurt after receiving a blow (pictured: Sarah Smith)

412ABDFB00000578-4596296-image-a-14_1497279270047.jpg

Suiting up: The women, including Madeleine Vall Beijner (pictured) said that their costumes played a huge role in getting them into an Amazon warrior mindset

412ACA3900000578-4596296-image-a-15_1497279280291.jpg

Bonding: Many of the cast reported that they left the set having formed powerful new relationships with their co-stars (L to R: Brooke Ence, Hari James)

The training and costumes clearly worked their magic, as the Amazon warriors have some of the most action-packed scenes in the entire film.
And it would seem that working on Wonder Woman bonded these powerful women together in a completely unique way. Farmer Clare Duncan told Marie Claire that 'the Amazonians were the most inspirational, strong women I've ever met.'

Wonder Woman, with its empowering message, is clearly resonating with audiences around the world. It's already earned more than $263 million and counting.

Can they stop teasing us with the feather cape? Just give it to us.

I see on Hari James instagram that she posted the Justice League trailer. I guess with Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright both confirmed to be in Justice League then maybe that means all the amazons from Wonder Woman will show up in Justice League as well.

I read somewhere that

when Antiope died, someone described as her lover/girlfriend/ spouse came running and was crying. Is this the case in the film? Was there someone like this and was it explicit that she had a relationship with her, or could it have just been any Amazon who was sad for her death?

I read somewhere that

when Antiope died, someone described as her lover/girlfriend/ spouse came running and was crying. Is this the case in the film? Was there someone like this and was it explicit that she had a relationship with her, or could it have just been any Amazon who was sad for her death?

You haven't seen the movie yet?

I have, but I can't remember all the details.

What people are saying about the issue you bring up, I agree with. I think it's subtle enough not to raise too many hackles in the wider culture but the intimation is clear.

I read somewhere that

The person who comes running is

Menalippe- her sister (played by Lisa Loven Kongsli.) When Antiope dies, Diana runs to her first, then Hippolyta, then Menalippe, who cries out "No!". These are Antiope's family members- her two sisters and her niece, Diana.

The person who comes running is

Menalippe- her sister (played by Lisa Loven Kongsli.) When Antiope dies, Diana runs to her first, then Hippolyta, then Menalippe, who cries out "No!". These are Antiope's family members- her two sisters and her niece, Diana.

Well then people who read into it are wanting to see what they want to see since they don't know the family history. There's clearly no romantic relationship there in fact unless they're doing an Ultimate version like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Well then people who read into it are wanting to see what they want to see since they don't know the family history. There's clearly no romantic relationship there in fact unless they're doing an Ultimate version like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

It's not made clear in the movie

that Menalippe is Diana's aunt. Nor is it even clear in the WW novelisation. But it is stated in the Art book that Menalippe is the "glamorous younger sister" and tries to prove herself worthy to her older sister, Antiope. Also (as we saw) she was stated as Diana's aunt in the Entertainment Weekly photograph they released early of the the four of them.

Maybe it was a later decision made, since Antiope dies and they want Menalippe to play a further role in the sequels, and take Antiope's place.

It's not made clear in the movie

that Menalippe is Diana's aunt. Nor is it even clear in the WW novelisation. But it is stated in the Art book that Menalippe is the "glamorous younger sister" and tries to prove herself worthy to her older sister, Antiope. Also (as we saw) she was stated as Diana's aunt in the Entertainment Weekly photograph they released early of the the four of them.

Maybe it was a later decision made, since Antiope dies and they want Menalippe to play a further role in the sequels, and take Antiope's place.

Thanks. I was surprised at learning the connection here as in the film they don't define that relationship at all or name the character. I think it's easy to come to the conclusion myself and others have since there's nothing said about the character to delineate the relationship in the theatrical cut of the film. Learning this now I suspect there was some cutting of material.

Is she still

Menalippe or was that only in the early stages? Could her character have been changed? Is she even named in the movie?

Is she still

Menalippe or was that only in the early stages? Could her character have been changed? Is she even named in the movie?

As far as I remember they don't identify her by name or go into her relation to any other character.

Does anyone remember differently?

As far as I remember they don't identify her by name or go into her relation to any other character.

Does anyone remember differently?

Is she still

I don't recall her being called Menalippe in the movie, or her relationship as the aunt/sister established. It's more in the promotional material.

She is still Menalippe, I believe. The Art book deals very much with the post-production stages and there is a part dedicated to her, the actress Lisa Loven Kongsli, and her costume design. Plus I think that EW photo of her, Diana, Antiope and Hippolyta was when they had already decided to establish her as the younger sister.

EDIT:

http://ew.com/article/2016/03/24/wonder-woman-first-look-gal-gadot-robin-wright-connie-nielsen/

Last edited:
Maybe they made it more ambiguous as they figured they don't need so many sisters and they had the chance to hint at lesbian relationships in the movie.

Maybe they made it more ambiguous as they figured they don't need so many sisters and they had the chance to hint at lesbian relationships in the movie.

But I believe the decision to make her a sister came later in the process. That's why it is not mentioned in the script (and thus movie), or the WW novelisation (which is based off the script, not final movie, I believe.)

The write up for Menalippe as the younger sister in the Art book is quite detailed though, with Lindy Hemming talking a lot about designing the costume for her and her character.

We will have to wait to see to be 100% sure though.

But I believe the decision to make her a sister came later in the process. That's why it is not mentioned in the script (and thus movie), or the WW novelisation (which is based off the script, not final movie, I believe.)

The write up for Menalippe as the younger sister in the Art book is quite detailed though, with Lindy Hemming talking a lot about designing the costume for her and her character.

We will have to wait to see to be 100% sure though.

Is it possible that they are using the term "sister" not in the biological sense? I mean in the WW comics Diana refers to many Amazons as "sister".

Is it possible that they are using the term "sister" not in the biological sense? I mean in the WW comics Diana refers to many Amazons as "sister".

Well, in the EW they describe her as one of Diana's "military aunts."

In the Art book they describe her thusly: "...eager to prove herself worthy of her older sister, Antiope." and "Menalippe is the glamorous younger sister."

I don't recall her being called Menalippe in the movie, or her relationship as the aunt/sister established. It's more in the promotional material.

She is still Menalippe, I believe. The Art book deals very much with the post-production stages and there is a part dedicated to her, the actress Lisa Loven Kongsli, and her costume design. Plus I think that EW photo of her, Diana, Antiope and Hippolyta was when they had already decided to establish her as the younger sister.

EDIT:

http://ew.com/article/2016/03/24/wonder-woman-first-look-gal-gadot-robin-wright-connie-nielsen/

In that article it says:

She will need some help getting there, though. Preparing her for a world of men are three regal women: Diana’s mother, Queen Hippolyta (Gladiator’s Connie Nielsen), and her two military aunts — General Antiope (Robin Wright) and Antiope’s lieutenant, Menalippe (Force Majeure’s Lisa Loven Kongsli). This trio of immortals is responsible for both raising and training Diana — the only child on this estrogen heavy isle — but they don’t always agree. Hippolyta, a revolutionary leader, longs to shelter her beloved daughter from the outside world, but Antiope, the Amazon responsible for Diana’s training, wants to prepare her.

But could Menalippe be like Aunt May - ie an Aunt not by blood but by marriage? If she were married to Antiope, then Diana would still call her Aunt Menalippe.

Of course, that wouldn't fit with the Art book, but it is one way they could go, especially if they haven't established anything in the film. How canonical do these art books tend to be? Should we take what they say in there as gospel or can the filmmakers even change their minds later on if it isn't in the film?

EDIT: And what is with all the apostrophes and speech marks turning into gibberish whenever anything is copied and pasted on this forum? Is anyone else seeing this? I've even noticed this in some people's usernames.

Last edited:
Guys, we're starting to talk in circles here.

As I said, we can only wait to see what the filmmakers say in the future to find out if your lesbian/sister ideas are true or not.

The Art book seems pretty in line with everything else to me. As I said, it chronicles the production and post-production quite thoroughly. You can doubt it if you want. But I don't.

I have found that with the cutting and pasting on this forum as well lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"