Thinking of getting a PSP

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
I never thought Id get a handheld gaming system again but Im really thinking of getting one. Im thinking of taking a vacation next month and if I do theres a 75% chance I'll get a PSP for that bc my iPod wont be enough to last me. I havent really kept up much with the PSP so I have a few questions

1. Right now in the US, theres a black, silver and red PSP right? As a bundle, the God of War package looks the most appealing but I HATE the red color. I like the look of the silver one the best but the bundle is useless to me. I dont want Daxter, dont watch Family Guy and will be getting a bigger memory stick anyway. Do they sell standalone silver systems?

2. What are some reccommended games. Im looking to pick up about 3. MGS: PO is a definite must, so Im looking for 2 others. I really want original games and not something I could pick up on a PS2 or other system. How is Loco Roco? I didnt care much for the PS3 version but I read they are completely different. GoW is overpriced at the moment and it looks more of the same like the PS2 games.

3. How is the PS3/PSP connectivity? Linking the 2 up is one of the main reasons why Ill get a PSP over a DS. What kind of stuff can I do with my PSP as a PS3 owner?

4. How is the PSP as a media player. Is the interface for using videos/music exactly the same as the PS3? Does it have good support for most videos or will I have to go through some trouble to convert them?

5. I know that PSP games can now be played on a tv but is it worth it? Is this done through the PS3 and if so does it upscale the games?

6. Be honest, are the load times as bad as most people say? Did the new PSP improve things much?

7. With most games being 3D now, is the lack of a 2nd analog button feel odd on the system?

8. Any other nifty features of the system I need to know about

I never thought Id get a handheld gaming system again but Im really thinking of getting one. Im thinking of taking a vacation next month and if I do theres a 75% chance I'll get a PSP for that bc my iPod wont be enough to last me. I havent really kept up much with the PSP so I have a few questions

1. Right now in the US, theres a black, silver and red PSP right? As a bundle, the God of War package looks the most appealing but I HATE the red color. I like the look of the silver one the best but the bundle is useless to me. I dont want Daxter, dont watch Family Guy and will be getting a bigger memory stick anyway. Do they sell standalone silver systems? I have the White Star Wars one. Really cool. Only black comes stand alone.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Battlefr..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1212710797&sr=8-3
2. What are some reccommended games. Im looking to pick up about 3. MGS: PO is a definite must, so Im looking for 2 others. I really want original games and not something I could pick up on a PS2 or other system. How is Loco Roco? I didnt care much for the PS3 version but I read they are completely different. GoW is overpriced at the moment and it looks more of the same like the PS2 games.
Lumines (1 and2), Patapon,and Final Fantasy Tactics are my favorites and you can find them relativly cheap.
3. How is the PS3/PSP connectivity? Linking the 2 up is one of the main reasons why Ill get a PSP over a DS. What kind of stuff can I do with my PSP as a PS3 owner? You can turn the PS3 on and off and play it's media on your PSP through wifi. Spy on your living room with the eye toy. It's cool.

4. How is the PSP as a media player. Is the interface for using videos/music exactly the same as the PS3? Does it have good support for most videos or will I have to go through some trouble to convert them?
It has an XMB as well. Use this to convert your media.
http://www.pspvideo9.com/
5. I know that PSP games can now be played on a tv but is it worth it? Is this done through the PS3 and if so does it upscale the games?
The new PSP's have a video out that you use to hook it up directly to your tv. I don't use it, but others seem to like it.
6. Be honest, are the load times as bad as most people say? Did the new PSP improve things much? They have gotten better with the new model's, but they are a little long depending on the game.

7. With most games being 3D now, is the lack of a 2nd analog button feel odd on the system? I did not like the nub at first, but you get use to it.

8. Any other nifty features of the system I need to know about
Besides what I have already said. Check here. :up:
http://www.us.playstation.com/psp_interactive/

I'm still really tempted to buy a PSP, but I have 2 friends on either side of the argument, one who loves it, one who hates it. I havent liked any games I've played on it, but the whole portable media player does sound awesome. I might have to weigh my options a bit more.

The Last Son, thanks for the info. Have you gotten into the custom firmware stuff?

Its s done deal as I bought a PSP off of ebay. $155 for the silver Daxter pack with AV cables and headset. Not bad seeing as thats $15 under the standalone black PSP and $45 less than the retail Daxter bundle. I also ordered an 8gb card and will pick up MGS PO next week.

Good man Havok. :up: PSP's a good system, and Daxter's a winner, even if you have no intrest.

As of today, I officially became a PSP owner. The package was waiting for me when I got home. Love that it has the XMB bc it feels very familiar as a PS3 owner. Almost like having a mini PS3 on the go. All I have is Daxter but Im very impressed with the graphics and level of quality so far. Last handheld I own was the Gameboy color and boy have things come a LONG way since then.

I've been looking everywhere for Metal Gear : Portable Ops but with no luck. I didnt realize it was so rare. Im goiung to try a couple of more Gamestops tomorrow but if not I guess I'll have to get it off Ebay. Now once I get my interent settings in order, Im going to download some demos to see what else is out there

I've been pondering over a PSP for some time now, and with you guys giving it really good reviews, I've decided to purchase one as well. Before I do though, a few questions:

1. Can I play music on it in the same way as an MP3 player or iPod?
  2. Are the games and UMD films region coded?
  3. In which way will a PSP benifit my PS3, and vica-versa?
  4. Which one is better, because I've heard differing opinions, the original, or the slim and lite?
Thanks for your help.

1. Yes you can play music on it. There is a music, pic, game, and video folder. With the memory sticks you could keep one memory stick (about 2GB) full of music and use another for pics and videos and just swap memory sticks. Tho 1 mem stick holds a lot of stuff, just think it's a neat idea.

2. No clue, tho I haven't bought any UMD movies. I did get a free movie dl with my mem stick tho.

3. PSP can stream from the PS3. It will actually control the PS3 from a distance and you can see the PS3 XMB on the PSP screen. You can also stream PS1 games onto the PSP. As for vice versa? You can use the mem stick from the PSP to take save games to other PS3 consoles to my understanding. The PS3 has a mem stick slot so you can just copy save game data over and take it with you...atleast it should I haven't tried it yet. Plus you can copy the music from it to your PS3 harddrive.

4. Again no clue. I have the original and it doesn't feel too bulky so not sure it's a huge problem, tho both PSP's are pretty wide.

Oh I LOVE the PS3 Remote Play feature. I had no idea you could actually stream the PS3's XMB on the PSP. Through that I was able to access all my music/video files that I have on my PC as well as the content on my PS3 on my PSP. Its probably my favorite feature

ttotheusher, the Slim is better. Its slimmer, weighs less, has more ram so that helps with loading and the directional pad comes out more so its more comfortable and and easier to handle

Oh and the games are region free. Have no clue about hte UMDs

Wait, so that IGN thing is a hypothetical, wish list of stuff they want to happen?

So anyone here mod'ed their psp ? i have had mine since launch day and its getting abit tired then i found out I could load my psx games onto it with some modding. Cant wait for pay day buying a big memory card and pandora battery and adding the below list of games.

Resident Evil 1-3
Soul Reaver
Metal Gear Solid
Spiderman
Spiderman Enter Electro
and
FF8

Cant wait.

So, tommorow I will be trading in mucho games to try and get a PSP. I know the guy who works there, so he should get me a good deal. I only really want two games, Tekken and God of War, so hopefully I wont be dissapointed. Wish me luck. :yay:

So, tommorow I will be trading in mucho games to try and get a PSP. I know the guy who works there, so he should get me a good deal. I only really want two games, Tekken and God of War, so hopefully I wont be dissapointed. Wish me luck. :yay:
Do you own a PS3? If so, Tekken is on there. Its a HD port of the PSP game at 1080p with online play

Metal gear PO is pretty badass. Picked it up a few nights ago :up:

i love that game, i got tottally addicted to it and its online play. i was on it for like 4 days solid at one point

Im having trouble getting used to the controls in MGS PO. I really wish Sony had added another analog stick

I also am considering a PSP purchase. I have a 360 and a wii so the PS3 connectivity isn't a draw, but I would love to have it on trips and other occasions on which I don't have my home consoles.

I'm currently trying to decide between the God of War pack and the Daxter one. I'll probably end up getting the Daxter pack as it has the memory stick, Daxter, and Family Guy for 30 dollars more than the Piano black. I have a Zune for media playback, so I'm really just looking at it for a gaming aspect.

Is the 1 gig memory card enough for game saves?

I chose my PSP based on color. While the GoW pack bundle would have been more appealing for me, I really hate the red color and didnt want to be stuck having to look at that thing each time I played. So I went with the silver PSP even though I havent used Daxter or Family Guy. The 1gb is more than enough for gamesaves. If thats all you will be using it for, you dont have to worry about using it up anytime soon. Its handy to carry some songs or 1 or 2 movies on the go

I'd actually prefer the GOW pack, but if I'm buying a pack I want the most for my money. I have heard good things about Daxter and I like family guy, but the big appeal is a memory stick. If the GOW pack had a memory stick I'd be going with that one.

Can anyone suggest a strategy game for the PSP? Im thinking along the lines of something like Civilization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"