This is down right sad...

Self-diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome has become an internet joke/cliche in recent years.

I believe it exists in some people, perhaps as a form of mild Autism, but I'm amused by the number of internet nerds on Youtube, the chan boards, DeviantArt and other bastions of online dorkiness that seek to blame their obsessive, self-indulgent quirks on Asperger's.

Th
Lerpy Weirdos, have always used weird gestures, suffered from embarrassing tics and habits, been obsessive about narrow topics, just seemed "off" in the lack of empathy and people-reading abilities dep't.
This "syndrome" didn't just start last tuesday.
It's always been around. Only people called them, "weird".
It's stupid.

Usually when people understand why a person acts such a way, there is less discrimination. Consider the stroke survivor standing in line at the gorcery store. He struggles to say something very important but can't because his language abilities were damaged. The people waiting behind him would say "Stupid dumb$%^&, why can't he go to the store for dumb^%&?" Maybe if they understood that he went through the trauma of a stroke and had to spend months in therapy to progress that far, they'd be more understanding. I'd rather have the label of a person with tourrettes or aspergers than to be some "weirdo freak".

Also, the main reason today that people are diagnosed is so that they can recieve help. Someone with aspergers can recieve language therapy to help deal with their social language issues. The can learn techniques to help them in the real world, rather than just stumbling around as a "freak". A person with Tourrettes can get medicene that will help relieve the tics, instead of going through live as "that weird twitchy guy."

The point of diagnosing someone with ADD should be TO HELP them, to teach them how to focus on important things and learn social skills. Drugs should be a final option, not the only option.

-a budding speech language therapist-

Any "little boy" behavior is targeted by these types of teachers and responded to with negativity and punishment while behaving more like the "little girls" in the class is rewarded.

You know, when working at a daycare, I noticed that girls can be little demons. I know quite a few little girls who don't listen and run around and get a lot of time outs. Where the hell did this idea come from that girls behave better?

You know, when working at a daycare, I noticed that girls can be little demons. I know quite a few little girls who don't listen and run around and get a lot of time outs. Where the hell did this idea come from that girls behave better?

I think it's because little girls are sneakier and more devious about it than little boys, to be honest. I have four nieces and three nephews and without exception the girls are far more sneaky about their mischief and malevolence than the boys are. They hide it well and figure out how to do it in a way that they don't get caught or when they think no one is watching. When they're in a more formal setting like a classroom, that carries over and they appear to be paying attention when in reality they're passing notes or texting each other or anything BUT paying attention (my cousin who is a teacher has observed this as well).

jag

To Lizard - Yes,
"I don't really get along with people and at parties I sit in the corner, and when my mom's dog died I didn't care and I'd rather go on and on about Buffy the Vampire Slayer than listen to you. I'm sO Aspergered.
thinlove.gif
"

To michephantom - Great. We can all fit into the lowest common denominator's cookie cutter ideal for how to look and how to behave, eliminating all interesting, quirky, weird, goofy, funny, bizarre, one-of-a-kind, crazy, unusual loveable losers and people who live in their own heads and don't fall into lock-step with what all the shiny, smiling Aryans, movers and shakers and frat boy jocks and air-headed cheerleaders are doing this month.

I don't want to live in your world without freaks...and if ADD/Asperger's are disorders, then, like everything is...as I said, there ARE naturally klutzy people who will just never do well at sports despite how much they practice.

Is that a "disorder" that must be cured?
Is being gay a disorder that must be cured? Their lives would be so much easier if they were straight. They'd fit in so much better.
How about people who pick their noses, or compulsively chew on their nails?
Zap that gene!
Get rid of Mike Tyson's lisp...teach Eartha Kitt to open up the lower registers of her voice, Barbara Streisand, get a nose job, Jennifer Lopez, firm up that fat ass...you're the victim of Lopez Syndrome....

Self-diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome has become an internet joke/cliche in recent years.

I believe it exists in some people, perhaps as a form of mild Autism, but I'm amused by the number of internet nerds on Youtube, the chan boards, DeviantArt and other bastions of online dorkiness that seek to blame their obsessive, self-indulgent quirks on Asperger's.

I'm not here to argue with neither you nor Willie, as I really agree with both of your general statements...

Heck, I should have been the poster child for Asperger's... :csad:

But your comment above did make me think about TSoB, and the reasons I got a tad defensive with Willie to begin with...

When TSoB was first diagnosed, he was basically diagnosed with autism, a mild form of it, and there was the term "high-functioning" that was labelled for him... which is what I called it until everybody else (including his doctor's) started using the catch phrase "Asperger's"...

So whether this Alex Barton kid is an asperg weirdo or a high-functioning autistic kid, who knows? But nonetheless, he shouldn't have been pointed out like that for simply being weird. I'm sure Ms. Portillo wouldn't have liked to have been pointed out in a room full of white teachers because she's black and then have all the honkies tell her why they don't like her... :whatever:

You'd think that she would know better...

:csad:

To Lizard - Yes,
"I don't really get along with people and at parties I sit in the corner, and when my mom's dog died I didn't care and I'd rather go on and on about Buffy the Vampire Slayer than listen to you. I'm sO Aspergered.
thinlove.gif
"

To michephantom - Great. We can all fit into the lowest common denominator's cookie cutter ideal for how to look and how to behave, eliminating all interesting, quirky, weird, goofy, funny, bizarre, one-of-a-kind, crazy, unusual loveable losers and people who live in their own heads and don't fall into lock-step with what all the shiny, smiling Aryans, movers and shakers and frat boy jocks and air-headed cheerleaders are doing this month.

I don't want to live in your world without freaks...and if ADD/Asperger's are disorders, then, like everything is...as I said, there ARE naturally klutzy people who will just never do well at sports despite how much they practice.

Is that a "disorder" that must be cured?
Is being gay a disorder that must be cured? Their lives would be so much easier if they were straight. They'd fit in so much better.
How about people who pick their noses, or compulsively chew on their nails?
Zap that gene!
Get rid of Mike Tyson's lisp...teach Eartha Kitt to open up the lower registers of her voice, Barbara Streisand, get a nose job, Jennifer Lopez, firm up that fat ass...you're the victim of Lopez Syndrome....
There are actually people out there who believe that homosexuality is a disorder and they are trying to find a 'cure' for it. I thought that was ridiculous and so out of order. People are trying to diagnose and find cures for any kind of behavior that they deem... out of order or behavior that doesn't fit the standards of our society. Standards change all the time. What was deemed 'weird' will one day become the norm and what is the norm now will one day be deemed wrong just because people will always find something to object to. If enough people object to that 'something', it will be seen as 'out of order' and therefore must be diagnosed and cured.

Tmob said:
But nonetheless, he shouldn't have been pointed out like that for simply being weird.
Yeah, I haven't even read the actual story which is the topic of the thread. :o
Teacher did something bad? Cruel? Damaging to a child?
Shocker

Here's a YouTube vid by a typical self-diagnosed "Aspie"...

I don't expect anyone to actually sit through the whole thing, but stick around until the 1:45 to 2:15 point, where she reads off a website that states that as an Aspie, she has an advanced vocabulary and hyper-intelligence (despite her previously struggling with Roman numerals and basic medical acronyms, apparently).

So, yeah -- if you think you're smarter than everyone around you, are socially awkward and obsessed with some fanboy, pop-culture hobby, it's all because of that darn Asperger's. If anyone suggests otherwise, you can remain secure in the smug knowledge that they just don't understand your disease.

Back to the topic of the thread:

Does the teacher and students know that Alex has Asperger's syndrome? Do 5-year-old kids even know what that is? All they know is, probably, that he's 'not nice' and them voting him out had nothing to do with his 'disorder' but with his behavior. However, if the teacher did know, she could've tried to explain that to Alex's classmates. Even if she did, I doubt the little 'uns would've understood her explanation and would've most likely voted him out simply because they didn't like his behavior.

When TSoB was first diagnosed, he was basically diagnosed with autism, a mild form of it, and there was the term "high-functioning" that was labelled for him... which is what I called it until everybody else (including his doctor's) started using the catch phrase "Asperger's"...

So whether this Alex Barton kid is an asperg weirdo or a high-functioning autistic kid, who knows? But nonetheless, he shouldn't have been pointed out like that for simply being weird. I'm sure Ms. Portillo wouldn't have liked to have been pointed out in a room full of white teachers because she's black and then have all the honkies tell her why they don't like her... :whatever:

Agreed. That teacher screwed up.

And please don't take my mocking of the online Asperger's phenomena as a slam against your son. Little kids don't seek attention or care about excusing their behavior in the same ways teens and adults do. Autism is definitely real and observable in children at various levels.

That statement I can agree with if that's what she did. (I didn't read the whole article but the part that was quoted in the first post) I thought she was doing some sort of social experiment with the entire class and not just Alex alone and that she didn't know of his condition.
But still, asking 5-year-olds what they don't like about their classmates?

Elimination? YOU are talking about elimination. I'M talking about help. It's fine and normal to be different, but when you can't deal with tasks of everyday life... someone with aspergers is more than a clumsy nerd. It's someone who can't succeed in school because he can't understand the teacher or the assisgnments due to hidden social cues. Should we just laugh good-naturedly at a smart kid who flunks out, or help him? Often people with aspergers have trouble finding places, have a poor sense of direction. A person with aspergers might lose job after job because the social aspects of the job are too much for him. Some might even have problems with daily life, like taking care of themselves. But that's okay, let them be what they are. They can be an obsessive daydreamer as long as they can still take care of themselves.

Is being gay a disorder that must be cured? ....
So, you're comparing homosexuality to aspergers? It's getting easier and easier for someone to live a perfect life with homosexuality. Does being gay get in the way of learning? Not directly. Does being gay make it hard for you to get and keep a job? Not unless the employer is discriminatory, and then you can sue their butt.

Unless you know firsthand some of the stuff that a person with aspergers or autism (a real diagnosis by someone who knows what they're doing) goes through, you really don't know.

That's not what I said at all.
You aren't born a social outcast. That's society's response to you.
I'm saying that it's silly that being a socially awkward geek is now a "syndrome"...right down to the very thing that so many awkward geeks have in common, the obsessive focus on one hobby or interest. Please. :whatever:

Lerpy Weirdos, have always used weird gestures, suffered from embarrassing tics and habits, been obsessive about narrow topics, just seemed "off" in the lack of empathy and people-reading abilities dep't.
This "syndrome" didn't just start last tuesday.
It's always been around. Only people called them, "weird".

Now, there is a proven genetic difference between people who love the taste of cilantro and people who can't stand it.
Are people who want to puke when they detect cilantro in their fish taco, "afflicted" with a "syndrome" ?

Of course it is to do with the brain function...just like, two guys might be born with superb eye/hand coordination while Oswald is a total klutz.
If I'm bad at P.E., if I can never get the ball into the basket, how far are we, really, from calling that a "disorder of the nervous system".

But I really believe the seeming rash of Asperger cases, like the sudden "explosion" of cases of kids with "A.D.D.", really comes down to this idea that vain parents don't want to admit, "Yeah, our kid is a ****ing misfit freak. :huh:", so, now it's a "disorder"....it's "not his fault".

Well guess what, it's not anyone's fault.
No one says, "You know, I'd like to be an idiot today! :) I'm going to be bad at math, and foolish. :)"

People are born just plain dumb, or bad at math, or with big noses, an extra sweat gland, a genetic predisposition toward having bad skin, girls go bald, men have tiny baby-*****, or 3 foot long monster-*****...some are just whiny bastards from birth despite their parents efforts, some have atrocious parents but grow up to be noble, responsible, pleasant people.

Of course some people really share these specific kinds of traits, and it is something going on in the brain, but it's always been the case.

There have always been child molesters, and really violent people, and soft-spoken people, and brainy people, and people who crack their knuckles and people who don't.

But this attempt to try and turn anything that doesn't fit in to society's ideal model for perfection as a "disease", where we should pity the poor person who is so "afflicted" with this "disorder"...and always excuse them, "Oh, Billy has Asperger's.", "OH....I see, okay."
It's stupid.

While it's true that there's been an odd fad of late, of self-diagnosing yourself as someone afflicted by "A.D.D.," or "Asperger's," I myself kind of agree with you, and at the same time find it offensive how you continue to try to downplay this as what you have. No one's asking for their pity to be given.

The same could be said of O.C.D., and any offshoot of that, by extension. But - friend - trust me, you don't know a third about it - it is a 'disorder,' as much maligned as that term seems to be by you. I can vouch for this, and I'm sure the same could be said of anyone who actually has any of the aforementioned.

Of course it's always been the case, and of course there will be people who try to pawn off their own social responsibility and couth by claiming to have whatever. There are people, annoying people out there, who, as an excuse for - well, think of something - will say something like, "Oh, I have O.C.D., heheheh." And, it's at these moments, when I hear these people, or they happen to be in earshot, that I wish I had something sharp in hand, so I could stab them repeatedly, in the ear.

That doesn't make it any less debilitating.

I have... and I lose because I'm "just" the father, and I live in a very conservative part of the world that still believes that moms make the "better" parents :whatever:...

And I still talk to social services people, lawyers, etc... and all it's done over the last 5 years is cost me over $20 000 and all that I got for it was frustration.

I've gone to court, and if I want to go again, there's a 3 year waiting period for a court date... so please don't belittle me for not knowing what to do nor doing nothing...

You have NO $^&*ING IDEA what I have gone through...

Mike

Sorry about that. The court systems are definitely biased against fathers. You sound like you're divorced.

In any case, how about talking compromise? And showing evidence that drugs produce side effects and effects of side effects and whatnot?

Kind of amusing you refer to your significant others in relation to your online alias. Uncle of Bat, Cousin of Bat, Friend of Bat, etc.

Anyway, on topic: I am constantly impressed by the American way that permeates these boards. I feel like the people are a product of their environment. I mean, just look at the sociolinguistics of New York on that Overheard in New York site.

And I have always noticed that for instance, if you bump into someone on the American streets, as portrayed in the media, they usually say, watch out, or the obscene equivalent.

Here, we usually say sorry. Actually, we say sorry all the time. It's differences like these that makes for some fascinating study.

Sorry about that. The court systems are definitely biased against fathers. You sound like you're divorced.

In any case, how about talking compromise? And showing evidence that drugs produce side effects and effects of side effects and whatnot?

Kind of amusing you refer to your significant others in relation to your online alias. Uncle of Bat, Cousin of Bat, Friend of Bat, etc.

His mother and I were never married, though I am now to a wonderful woman. And yes, I'm constantly getting screwed by an old conservative styled system that favours the mothers.

And I can't talk to her about anything... she gives me a hard time on EVERYTHING and the only time I can get my own way os if I agree with her on something... it's very frustrating.

And TheSonofBat (my son) has that as his user name, he created it back in May of 2003 when he was 4 years old... his posts were quite cute at the time... and my new wife has TheWifeof Bat as her user name, though she doesn't use it very much...

:yay:

Elimination? YOU are talking about elimination. I'M talking about help. It's fine and normal to be different, but when you can't deal with tasks of everyday life... someone with aspergers is more than a clumsy nerd. It's someone who can't succeed in school because he can't understand the teacher or the assisgnments due to hidden social cues.
Nonsense.

Asperger's is characterized by difficulties in social interaction and by restricted, stereotyped interests and activities. Although not mentioned in standard diagnostic criteria, motor clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.[1][2]
THAT, is a socially awkward, clumsy dork.
Furthermore...

AS is distinguished from the other ASDs in having no general delay in language or cognitive development.

Lol, they cut off his mic.

Anywho, yeah its sad that he had to stand in front of the class and everyone said what they didn't like about him. I refuse to believe that a kindergarten teacher can be so cruel, therefore I think there are holes in this story. Being a mother, and sister/cousin to a million little ones, I know that getting a straight story out of a 5 year old is next to impossible.

He wasn't actually kicked out of class, and maybe his feelings were hurt, but I don't think it should recieve national media coverage. Its obvious that it is because it seems as if a teacher directed the class to do wrong to a child with a disability, because of his disability.

His mother and I were never married, though I am now to a wonderful woman. And yes, I'm constantly getting screwed by an old conservative styled system that favours the mothers.

And I can't talk to her about anything... she gives me a hard time on EVERYTHING and the only time I can get my own way os if I agree with her on something... it's very frustrating.

And TheSonofBat (my son) has that as his user name, he created it back in May of 2003 when he was 4 years old... his posts were quite cute at the time... and my new wife has TheWifeof Bat as her user name, though she doesn't use it very much...

:yay:

Reverse psych her!

Yeah, I actually read that Son of Bat's thread, and it was cute too. My god, I was around even back then.

This was improper...but I think more needs to be done in schools to ready kids for the cruelty of the real world...

I have... and I lose because I'm "just" the father, and I live in a very conservative part of the world that still believes that moms make the "better" parents :whatever:...

And I still talk to social services people, lawyers, etc... and all it's done over the last 5 years is cost me over $20 000 and all that I got for it was frustration.

I've gone to court, and if I want to go again, there's a 3 year waiting period for a court date... so please don't belittle me for not knowing what to do nor doing nothing...

You have NO $^&*ING IDEA what I have gone through...

Mike

I don't know firsthand what you've gone through but my gf's brother, a friend of mine and my boss are all in their early 30's. They all have the same problem.

I know this is off topic but, a lot of judges needed to be given the boot and we need to get some younger judges who aren't relics of the past in our courts.

Most of these old bastard judges who are siding with the female are close minded as all hell and still think the females are always the victims.

The three people I listed that are going through that same thing are all getting the **** end of the stick simply because they're the males. While all three of the females are a bunch of alcohol/drug using immature ****s.

It's pathetic and I feel for ya Themanofbat.

As for Aspergers, I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand I agree with Wilhelm that it's just super sensitive people trying to dumb our culture and way of life down again by making something small and normal(there have always been dorks, and there will always be dorks)into something more than it really is...it's the crybaby mentality.

But on the other hand it could be a real problem/disorder that has a lot of similarities to dork/anti-social behavior, which would make it hard to distinguish.

Quote:
Asperger's is characterized by difficulties in social interaction and by restricted, stereotyped interests and activities. Although not mentioned in standard diagnostic criteria, motor clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.[1][2]
THAT, is a socially awkward, clumsy dork.
Furthermore...

Quote:
AS is distinguished from the other ASDs in having no general delay in language or cognitive development.

A stereotyped interest could be a fascination with train schedules, locks, something narrow. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, Some great thinkers may have have had aspergers which caused them to be experts in some fields, but it's not the same as being really into comic books or video games. Plus, how many "geeks" will keep on talking about the same thing over and over without any pause for the other speaker, or paying any attention to the speaker's responses? A lot of people today consider themselves a geek, but they still can interact normally. How many people need to learn how to greet others or initiate conversations?

Rodger S. Ireland S. Vun M. Can Cognitive Orientation to daily Occupational Performance (CO-OP) help children with Asperger's syndrome to master social and organisational goals? [Journal Article, Research, Tables/Charts] British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2008 Jan; 71(1): 23-32. (29 ref)

"Cognitive Orientation to daily Occupational Performance (CO-OP) is a cognitive problem-solving approach that has recently been used with children with Asperger's syndrome (AS) to achieve motor-based goals. Children with AS have a marked impairment in social interaction, which is pervasive and continues across the lifespan. Many of these children also experience organisational difficulties. "

Plus, a visit to wrongplanet.com, a website for people with autism, discusses many things that aspies have problems with, like driving, navigation, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"