Guardians of the Galaxy This one needs her own thread - Pom Klementieff IS Mantis

I was a little [blackout]bummed she didn't speak in her distinctive way, in the 3rd person.[/blackout] But other than that I loved her.

This one wishes she did that too. I think she still was wonderfully stilted and not quite understanding of human interaction, which mirrors the comic character even if she's a bit different.

That third person speak would've gotten annoying real fast I think. That's why they don't really do that much with live action.

That third person speak would've gotten annoying real fast I think. That's why they don't really do that much with live action.

Why would it?

Have you gotten annoyed at Groot's limited vocabulary?

I adored her in this. I was just waiting for her to be officially a guardian though. Can't wait to see her pop up in the avengers!

I really loved her power too. It's quite a powerful one when you really think about it. How many supervillains start their journey because of pain? If you could soothe it, you could save lives without hurting anyone

Her power doesn't last that long. It isn't permanent.

Yeah but at least it gets them talking and who knows, that might enable them to go somewhere safe or seek help

Yeah, her accent is insanely cute. When she says the word ugly, it is anything but.

I would hope that the next time we see her she gets to fight, being that from what I've been told she's one of the best fighters in Marvel.

Steve Englehart hates the movie version of his creation Mantis:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/gua...ter-criticism/

Marvel Comics writer Steve Englehart had a bit of an issue with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.
The well-received sequel introduced Mantis (Pom Klementieff) who serves as Ego's (Kurt Russell) kind-of assistant/carer, but Englehart told Polygon that she's not the character he – and co-writer Don Heck – created in The Avengers #112.
"Well, I was not happy with Mantis's portrayal. That character has nothing to do with Mantis," he explained.
"I will say that I liked the film quite a bit overall, they're doing good stuff and I enjoyed my night at the movies so long as I turned my brain off to the fact that that's not Mantis up there.
"I really don't know why you would take a character who is as distinctive as Mantis is and do a completely different character and still call her Mantis. That I do not know."
In the comics, Mantis is a human woman raised by a Kree cult as the potential mother of their Celestial Messiah. After they trained her, her memories were wiped and she was sent into the world, coming across the Avengers.
She ended up joining the team before realising her true purpose in life and leaving to become the Celestial Madonna, a storyline that was wrapped up by Englehart in the early 2000s with Avengers: Celestial Quest.
But he is keen to note that Marvel have generally been good when it comes to using his characters.
"I wasn't impressed with what they did with Mantis but the Mantis on the screen was entertaining, I liked her but that's not Mantis," Englehart added.
"I think Marvel's been pretty open-handed about that sort of thing, or I should probably credit Disney for that. They've been good about that kind of thing, so I'm happy when it benefits the creators, not just me for myself but for anybody."

Well, that's to be expected. Gunn took a lot of liberties with this franchise, mostly because they had always been at most D-listers.

Man, the creator of Mantis is a brave man for calling Marvel out. I guess since he created her, he has the right to do so. Most of the characters in Guardians are INO characters anyways. Don't think it matters at this point.

Yeah Rocket and Gamora are the closest comics wise. But Drax, Star Lord, Ronan and Yondu are all very different.

Yondu is INO, but but most of the other characters bear a strong resemblance to the Abnett/Lanning versions. Mantis in particular hasn't been Englehart's Thor-Buster for many decades.

Yondu is INO, but but most of the other characters bear a strong resemblance to the Abnett/Lanning versions. Mantis in particular hasn't been Englehart's Thor-Buster for many decades.

Star Lord and Drax are quite different to their comics versions. Quill even hates the name Star Lord in the comics.

Star Lord and Drax are quite different to their comics versions. Quill even hates the name Star Lord in the comics.

Yeah, but while Drax has a sense of humor and Peter is goofier, they aren't INO IMO.

This Drax, I'm not sure if he could take on Hulk like his comic counterpart. We haven't seen his strength level.

The post-Annihilation Drax couldn't really do that, either. He hasn't been nearly class 100 for a while, not since he basically evolved away most of his physical power in exchange for "+10000 damage, versus Thanos only".

Yeah, but for Star Lord, that's inarguably an improvement. He's had multiple backstories in the comics, and most of them have been pretty terrible. Stealing some from Rich Ryder ( "taken into space as a kid, growing up engaged in space adventures" ) is a good move.

I like James Gunn's interpretation of the character Mantis, but I hope in Vol. 3 he will give her some martial art specialty as a nod to her origin in the comics. I also don't want Mantis to just be this naive alien girl who has empathy and can feel emotions; I want her to kick butt like Gamora and Nebula do.

I don't think that we need all females to kick butts. It becomes repetitive and unoriginal. Mantis came out very refreshing for me due to her peaceful powers.

I don't think that we need all females to kick butts. It becomes repetitive and unoriginal. Mantis came out very refreshing for me due to her peaceful powers.

Yeah her role is okay for me too. :yay:

I think Mantis was one of the stand out characters of this film. And I'd even go so far as to say she's the greatest female Guardian thus far.

1. Mantis
2. Gamora
3. Nebula

Personal opinion of course, i know a lot of people like Nebula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"