Three possible "Joe 2" directors named?

Jackass 3D made nearly 200 million dollars. Clearly, Jeff Tremaine would have been the perfect guy to direct The Hobbit. You snooze you lose, Hollywood!

Jackass 3D made nearly 200 million dollars. Clearly, Jeff Tremaine would have been the perfect guy to direct The Hobbit. You snooze you lose, Hollywood!

Maybe WB will get him to replace Nolan for future Batman movies.

So first the underwhelming director is announced, followed by the rumor that only 3 characters are returning...this sequel really is sounding better by the day!!

:o

I guess most of the budget went into hiring that amazing director they have

well, at least now we know that with a studio that really doesn't care this much for a franchise they're putting $150 million dollars in we know Sommers never really had a chance.

Hopefully people go a bit easier on him now and don't blame him as much for G.I Joe 1. I for one still love 'The Mummy'

They're releasing it on August 10, a week after Jason Bourne 4 and the Total Recall remake that no-one wanted. There's pretty much no hope of this movie making money, so I'm guessing it will have a pretty small budget so that Paramount can bury the costs in merchandising royalties. This could very well be the most half-assed sequels of the decade. Barely any returning cast, a completely mismatched director, a unenviable release date... The only thing that could make this movie worse is if the script royally sucks, but even if the script doesn't suck it won't be enough to save the film. The only thing that I liked from the first film that still has even a chance of being in the new movie will be Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, and even then, they might re-cast Snake Eyes just to spite us. They have no reason not to at this point, judging by all the mistakes they're making so far.

This is almost surreal... This movie sounded so promising at first, I was convinced that this would win back a lot of the fans who turned their noses up at the first movie. We were going to get a script from the Zombieland guys, and it looked almost certain that F. Gary Gray was going to direct it. Now, it's all fallen apart. As much as I like Zombieland, it's the only movie those guys have written that we've actually seen. If Paramount believes their GI Joe 2 script was trashy enough that it wasn't worthy a director better than Jon Chu directing, then all bets are off as to whether or not they are one-hit-wonders.

Last edited:
Well, i'm sure they'll butcher the script. But let it be known, their Deadpool script is amazing. So, dont blame them for this movie sucking.

I won't blame them if the movie sucks. However, no matter how good, once it enters Paramount's hands there's nothing to stop it from being wrecked. I'm sure once the studio head's wife has read it and their little son jimmy looks over the storyboards it's going to be awful. However good it is, they're going to bring it down to the quality of everything else. Also, I'd be surprised if they had been mandated that early not to use characters like Scarlett in the movie, so chances are there will be re-writes from a ghost writer or some other such person to write her out of the film and / or replace her with another female character (in that example).

Some of you amy know, I'm not one to usually jump on the, "This is gonna suck!" bandwagon, but....

A guy who has directed nothing but 2 lame dance movies and a bio-pic on Justin Beiber? Was Uwe Boll busy? I normally give movies, especially comic/TV adaptations the benefit of the doubt, and reserve judgment until I see the finished product, but I have almost no faith in this project now. I actually kind of enjoyed the first one, in spite of it's flaws. Oh, well.

If anyone knows of some work he's done that could change my mind, please share.

^ It's amazing how little support this project is getting, even from people who liked the first one (like me). Hiring Jon Chu was the kiss of death for this project, and it's been nothing but bad news ever since. :(

For me its the lack of returning characters that officially killed it. The director is lame but a part of me still had a tiny sliver of hope that maybe he could produce something watchable.

But with the announcement that only 3 main characters are returning? That did it. It's like, what's the point if you're seemingly going to half ass it from the get go?

Only Duke, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow are coming back? Why even bother sequeling it :dry:

I wonder if they will even follow the story set up in the first movie.

The reason the studio is cutting costs is because they'd be stupid not to. The first movie overpreformed it's low expectations but it still underperformed in relation to it's budget and marketing and it wasn't greatly received either. It couldn't even make back that 175mil it cost to make in the states and although overseas is important to the stuidos they get a bigger piece of the pie from U.S/Canada.

This series never had any serious franchise potential and Paramount was smart enough to know that once the haze of the first bigscreen GI: JOE movie wore off the second one wouldn't do as well.

I'm pretty sure she meant "returning ACTORS." You can't do a GI Joe movie without Cobra Commander

The reason the studio is cutting costs is because they'd be stupid not to. The first movie overpreformed it's low expectations but it still underperformed in relation to it's budget and marketing and it wasn't greatly received either. It couldn't even make back that 175mil it cost to make in the states and although overseas is important to the stuidos they get a bigger piece of the pie from U.S/Canada.

This series never had any serious franchise potential and Paramount was smart enough to know that once the haze of the first bigscreen GI: JOE movie wore off the second one wouldn't do as well.

More like $200+ million, and yeah it didn't do awesome - OK at best.

If Paramount didn't lose The Avengers to the Mouse, then we wouldn't be talking about a G.I. Joe sequel for next August. They can't just have Star Trek 2 next summer even though it'll be one of the monster hits of 2012. Gotta have more than merely one big genre tentpole and thus Joe 2 suddenly got fast-tracked after months of dead-silence upon the Zombieland writers (hiring them was the easiest and cheapest part of the process - just because they were hired, didn't mean the sequel was for sure a go) turned their stuff in.

I'd say be grateful that a sequel is happening.

I'm not grateful at all. Cheap director. None of the main cast coming back. This screams B movie here. This is going to be a cheapo lame-o sequel no one is going to see.

I don't see how Chu can service even an awesome script by the ZOMBIELAND guys. I'm sure the trailer might have some cool WHIZ BANG STUFF in it but this movie is DOA. They should basically wipe the entire slate clean and just start over again in several years.

I'm going to have some serious questions for Hasbro reps when I see them again.

Bringing back Tatum was a huge turnoff. The Chu guy only adds fuel. I hate Tatum.

I wasn't even a big fan of the last film (had entertaining parts). But, my already low interest in this sequel only gets lower when you have no one coming back. Tatum sucks, and he is one of the only ones. I mean, no Cobra Commander in a GI Joe film? Huh?

This is going to suck hard core. Prob make Revenge of the Fallen look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

There wasnt a Cobra Commander in the last movie....just some dude with a clear vagina face mask. :hehe:

Maybe, just maybe, this will have a 'Mortal Kombat Annihilation' edge to it. In that it's soo bad that you vomit.

Yeah, I actually found the first movie quite entertaining and was actually looking forward to a sequel, not so much now. this all just sounds terrible. SS and SE were easily the best characters in the last movie, but I dont want JUST them and Duke to be the movie, we need some other characters as well, this just sounds ****!

Maybe, just maybe, this will have a 'Mortal Kombat Annihilation' edge to it. In that it's soo bad that you vomit.

That's a cruel thing to say to MKA. MKA was actually more entertaining than the first one just because it was so stupid that it was a great unintentional comedy. I have no reason to believe there will be anything funny about what Paramount is going to do to GI Joe.

MKA is most likely a good comparison to what is happening here.

Pretty much.

Movie 1: Silly but enjoyable popcorn fun.
Movie 2: ******ation beyond belief-- may funny with the addition of alcohol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"