• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Thunderbolts Netflix Show On The Cards?

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
This is a rumour, and not exactly from the most reputable source, but an interesting one nonetheless: supposedly Marvel are developing a Thunderbolts show for Netflix.

[YT]JV1I6z2Qs_U[/YT]

Now, regardless of how reliable this rumour is: would you be down for a Thunderbolts show? What lineup could they use?

Hmm, Baron Zemo for sure, Crossbones, Norman Osborn, Bullseye, Luke Cage

I actually would want Hawkeye to be involved, so he can lead the post-face turn Thunderbolts, as its "Avengers Reform School for Repentant Supervillains" incarnation. Which is to say, give us something more like the classic version, not the mess that Norman Osborn used.

Zemo, Moonstone, Songbird, Mach-1, Jolt, Fixer, and Atlas. Go with the original lineup and concept. The later government agents version is too similar to Suicide Squad.

But regardless of the lineup, I think Zemo, Moonstone, and Songbird are musts. They are the core members of the team.

Something tells me it will be the later version of the team should the show actually happen. I think a mix of the two could work quite well.

This is great news. It means Marvel aren't killing off Zemo and we'll actually have a decent recurring A-list villain. I mean, I can think of ways for Ronan, Ultron and Red Skull to return but at least they don't even need to explain how Zemo is returning.

Anyway, the initial lineup should be Zemo, Leader, Songbird, Jolt, Blizzard, Moonstone, Mister Hyde and Crossbones. Add Shocker and Scorpion if one or both of them appear in the Spider-Man reboot and Enchantress if she shows up in Thor: Ragnarok. Have Jolt as a member of the team who wants to help HYDRA save the world and be the idealistic member of the team who isn't actively evil. Moonstone would be a supervillain with a secret identity as a psychologist who somehow isn't wanted in her normal life. Leader would add a bit of a grey area since he fights for HYDRA because SHIELD kept him as a lab rat.

At the end of the first Season, Crossbones should defect upon the resurrection of the Red Skull.

Season 2 should add Joystick to the team to replace Crossbones and throw Atlas on to the team after he debuts in Luke Cage.

And when Phase 4 comes around, I'd like to see Mach debut as Beetle in Ant-Man 2 first and Ghost appear in Iron Man 4.

I feel like Red Hulk is too expensive to do on a TV budget. Same with Abomination. Juggernaut is sadly over at Fox. Mister Hyde is good enough for a, "big guy."

As far as villains go, I feel like a rogue division of HYDRA outside Zemo's control would be nice to see for the first season with the reveal that it's under the control of the Red Skull who makes his triumphant return in the last few episodes. Season 2 should be Count Nefaria, Silvermane and Madame Masque as the leaders of the Maggia with Kingpin also making his appearance.

Season 3 should be AIM.

And I can possibly see some superheroes show up with Elektra, Hawkeye, Luke Cage and Black Widow going undercover to join the team or Punisher joining just so he can better learn how to kill his own teammates.

Last edited:
If they bring in actual A-List villains from the movies and not throwaway D-listers that we've never heard of/will never be in the movies.

If Bullseye shows up in Daredevil Season Two, I'd expect him in this. Hell, maybe Punisher too.

Considering this was reported by a rink a dink website I never heard of...I say bull.

But since this is fan fiction apparently being reported as "newz"....Make Sam Rockwell be the lead of THUNDERBOLTS. Justin Hammer gets sprung from jail thanks to the government, who wants him to run the Thunderbolts program but if he screws up/fails...back to the slammer for him.

Let's see who is still standing after Civil War. But I think Zemo is a must. I'd like Moonstone as well. After that, I'm fairly flexible.

I was hoping to see Norman's thunderbolts as well. Maybe reach a compromise and make Zemo's team the masters of evil, leaving the thunderbolts open for Norman. Unless they just never go that route then **** it. :oldrazz:

I could see Zemo initially working for Osborn in a sort of Cyclops/Professor X analogy where Zemo is the field leader. Ultimately, I think they're going to kick out Osborn.

That being said, I'm uncertain the extent to which they want to use Sony characters. I think there are too many contractual unknowns.

That being said, I'm uncertain the extent to which they want to use Sony characters. I think there are too many contractual unknowns.

That could be an issue for some of the bigger characters like Norman Osborn and Venom. Sony would probably want those characters in their own Spider-Man films. But with a healthy working relationship between Marvel and Sony, I doubt they would raise much of a stink about using a character like Mach/Beetle.

That could be an issue for some of the bigger characters like Norman Osborn and Venom. Sony would probably want those characters in their own Spider-Man films. But with a healthy working relationship between Marvel and Sony, I doubt they would raise much of a stink about using a character like Mach/Beetle.

Agreed. He's a big deal in the T-bolts but he's never been Spider-Man's greatest foe. I'd also argue that Sony wouldn't care too much about Shocker or Scorpion in a spin-off either since it'll just be more publicity for the Spider-Man films by having villains in starring roles.

I also can't see Zemo working for Osborn. He's a megalomaniac bent on world domination and the Supreme HYDRA. He isn't a lackey.

Agreed. He's a big deal in the T-bolts but he's never been Spider-Man's greatest foe. I'd also argue that Sony wouldn't care too much about Shocker or Scorpion in a spin-off either since it'll just be more publicity for the Spider-Man films by having villains in starring roles.

I also can't see Zemo working for Osborn. He's a megalomaniac bent on world domination and the Supreme HYDRA. He isn't a lackey.

Zemo will occasionally do it if it furthers his own goals. But he's always planning on stabbing his 'boss' in the back when the time is right. I can't see such an arrangement lasting for long.

Last edited:
I doubt it. The characters chosen for Netflix all can be done justice on a tv budget. I don't think that works for these guys.

I would hope SOny would accomadate Norman and Agent Venom becoming a larger part of the MCU. That said, I think I would prefer, at least to kick it off, a Thunderbolts movie with Norman heading up a team with Zemo as field leader. That would then lead straight into a Dark Reign/Siege Avengers film. That could potentially curtail into a spinoff Netflix series.

If Sony reverts back to their old ways and refuses to play ball with Norman, the obvious replacement would be Hammer, who really needs to find SOMETHING to do. I'd hate for Rockwell's preformance to be forever buried in IM2.

I see it being a group of villains who may be showcased in the Defenders series's. (possibly agents of shield as well), so I can foresee the likes of Elektra and others being in it.

At the very least it should have Zemo return as the leader, and it should introduce Songbird and Atlas definitely. Mach-I as well probably. Moonstone could maybe work better if she's introduced in Captain Marvel first, but if there are no plans for her there she could be introduced as Meteorite in Thunderbolts.

Norman Osborn could be used, but is not necessary.

If they're going to use characters that have already appeared in the MCU, let's look at some of the possibilities.

They could use either Hawkeye, Black Widow or Luke Cage as a hero on the team, depending on the budget/platform.

Villains and anti-heroes that can still come back and could reasonably join the Thunderbolts:

Leader - Tim Blake Nelson (not very likely, especially if it's a show)
Abomination - Tim Roth (never on a tv/netflix budget, but pretty likely for a movie)
Deathlok - J. August Richards (I don't think he'd really fit the thunderbolts right now, as he's a hero again and with shield)
Graviton - Ian Hart
Blizzard - Dylan Minnette
Mister Hyde - Kyle MacLachlan (Not very likely now that his memory has been altered)
Gladiator - Matt Gerald (He doesn't really strike me as someone who'd want to join a team like this, but he could probably be talked into it)
Crossbones - Frank Grillo (If he survives Civil War)
Batroc the Leaper - Georges St-Pierre
Absorbing Man - Brian Patrick Wade
Blacklash - Falk Hentschel
Angar the Screamer -Jeff Daniel Phillips
Klaw - Andy Serkis (not very likely)
Elektra - Elodie Yung
Punisher - Jon Bernthal
Purple Man - David Tennant
Bullseye - ?
Diamondback - ?
The Owl - ?

At the very least it should have Zemo return as the leader, and it should introduce Songbird and Atlas definitely. Mach-I as well probably. Moonstone could maybe work better if she's introduced in Captain Marvel first, but if there are no plans for her there she could be introduced as Meteorite in Thunderbolts.

Norman Osborn could be used, but is not necessary.

If they're going to use characters that have already appeared in the MCU, let's look at some of the possibilities.

They could use either Hawkeye, Black Widow or Luke Cage as a hero on the team, depending on the budget/platform.

Villains and anti-heroes that can still come back and could reasonably join the Thunderbolts:

Leader - Tim Blake Nelson (not very likely, especially if it's a show)
Abomination - Tim Roth (never on a tv/netflix budget, but pretty likely for a movie)
Deathlok - J. August Richards (I don't think he'd really fit the thunderbolts right now, as he's a hero again and with shield)
Graviton - Ian Hart
Blizzard - Dylan Minnette
Mister Hyde - Kyle MacLachlan (Not very likely now that his memory has been altered)
Gladiator - Matt Gerald (He doesn't really strike me as someone who'd want to join a team like this, but he could probably be talked into it)
Crossbones - Frank Grillo (If he survives Civil War)
Batroc the Leaper - Georges St-Pierre
Absorbing Man - Brian Patrick Wade
Blacklash - Falk Hentschel
Angar the Screamer -Jeff Daniel Phillips
Klaw - Andy Serkis (not very likely)
Elektra - Elodie Yung
Punisher - Jon Bernthal
Purple Man - David Tennant
Bullseye - ?
Diamondback - ?
The Owl - ?

If the new show hits in 2018 (which is likely), then we'll have plenty of villains by that time. (Probably not Purple Man since he's a bit too evil and he's a telepath. His powers overlap with Leader and Moonstone who are both more likely to try to reform.) Diamondback isn't in Civil War so she probably won't be part of the film.

Let's assume that both Shocker and Scorpion are the villains in the Spider-Man reboot and we see Enchantress in Thor: Ragnarok. (Yes, Enchantress is comic accurate. She's a member of the Masters of Evil as well as the upcoming Illuminatti series.) I feel like this would be a really good initial roster.

Zemo, Songbird, Mach, Scorpion, Shocker, Moonstone, Blizzard, Enchantress.

That's eight anti-heroes to start with which is good enough for a first season. I'd add Atlas, Mister Hyde and Jolt to Season 2 with Bullseye joining at the end. As Phase 4 goes on, we get an Iron Man film with Ghost and a Hulk film with Leader so by Season 3 both of them join the team.

If the new show hits in 2018 (which is likely), then we'll have plenty of villains by that time. (Probably not Purple Man since he's a bit too evil and he's a telepath. His powers overlap with Leader and Moonstone who are both more likely to try to reform.) Diamondback isn't in Civil War so she probably won't be part of the film.

Let's assume that both Shocker and Scorpion are the villains in the Spider-Man reboot and we see Enchantress in Thor: Ragnarok. (Yes, Enchantress is comic accurate. She's a member of the Masters of Evil as well as the upcoming Illuminatti series.) I feel like this would be a really good initial roster.

Zemo, Songbird, Mach, Scorpion, Shocker, Moonstone, Blizzard, Enchantress.

That's eight anti-heroes to start with which is good enough for a first season. I'd add Atlas, Mister Hyde and Jolt to Season 2 with Bullseye joining at the end. As Phase 4 goes on, we get an Iron Man film with Ghost and a Hulk film with Leader so by Season 3 both of them join the team.

That's the wrong Diamondback :D, I meant Willis Stryker.
And I wonder how you would reintroduce Mister Hyde after his ending in season 2 of AoS.
And I guess by 2018 we would also have Lash, Baron Mordo, Steel Serpent, Enchantress, some Spider-Man villain(s) and some other supporting villains to pick from.

Just to intercede for a moment on copyrights. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure all the studio agreements for Marvel characters are for motion pictures only. None of the rights extended television. That is why Fox has to bargain with Marvel to produce a X-Men television show, they don't own the television rights, only the movie ones. So, Marvel can do anything they please as far as television is concerned. It's considered a completely different media.

I don't think Marvel could just use X-characters on live-action tv. Didn't they get into legal trouble with Mutant X?

I don't think Marvel could just use X-characters on live-action tv. Didn't they get into legal trouble with Mutant X?

Technically Marvel does have the live-action TV rights, but Fox has a lockout clause. So in effect, neither can make a show without approval of the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"