Time for a more serious Batman cartoon.

Spider-Bat

BATMAN
Reaction score
I think it's time cartoons got back to looking and being more serious, enough of the jap crap, stick figure look, it's time for a Batman cartoon with the tone of the great Bruce Timm series but, with art that looks like Neal Adams or Jim Aparo, There are so many stories yet to tell from the comics, and I'm sure a few original ones aswell.

They can do a nice origin story, do Knightfall for a season, and do Bane the right way, he is more than hired muscle.

There's so much more to be done, introduce Hush, just tweak it a bit for the cartoon. They didn't blow their Bat-Load with the animated series, there's more to do.:cwink:

The Batman is perfectly serious.

What you want is a more faithful cartoon.

Basically, you just want a bunch of direct comic adaptations. You'll be getting those with DC's new line of direct adaptation animated films,

I wouldnt call The Batman "serious" at all. At least not what I've seen of it (first 3 seasons). You have a rediculous Joker with no shoes and bad puns (even for the Joker), and Penguin who calls himself "The Oz-Man" and "Ozzy" and is pretty much nothing but comic relief. Batgirl sounds like she'd be more at home over on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, in one of the comedy themed episodes, with all the one-liners she has. Alfred is a buffoon. It's definitly a ligher, more kid-friendly, less serious take on the character than we've seen in a while.

Seen in a while? What about Batman & Robin? The Batman may not be as serious as BTAS, but it's certainly Ben 10 in a Batman mask. And it's certainly not the lightest version of Batman since Adam West.

Yeah, there's lighter elements to it. Hate to break it to you, but there's lighter elements in the comics themselves. Both Alfred and Batgirl act both as comic relief and as contrasts to Batman's darker personality. If you watch all four seasons, you'll notice Batman's personality has become darker and darker as the series as gone on. In direct opposition to the comics, instead of making Batman's personality lighter, the sidekicks have made Batman more of the commandeering jerk he is in the comics.

It might not be as camp as Batman & Robin (which was still 10 years ago), but it's definitly as bad as Batman Forever. I haven't seen season 4, but I have seen a bit of progression through Season 3. At the point I'm at, it's definitly not as bad as when it started out, but it's still not nearly as dark as the comics have been for a long while now, or even on the same level as Batman: TAS or JLU were. And the villains dont help the matter much either, as I pointed out in my first post. There generic villain personalities just add exponentially to the camp factor of the show. And the Batman 1966 Mark 2 theme song doesnt really help either.

Batgirl sounds like she'd be more at home over on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, in one of the comedy themed episodes, with all the one-liners she has.
I like her for that reason.:O
Alfred is a buffoon. It's definitly a ligher, more kid-friendly, less serious take on the character than we've seen in a while.

Alfred is far from being a buffoon, and the show has taken more serious turns.

I ****ing love TB's Batgirl.

She's one of best characters to come out of an animated series since Scooby Doo.

She's great. Her design is atrocious though.

Her personality is so great, I can't even dislike anything about her. :(

People are saying that The Batman has improved so I think I'm gonna start watching again. But what I use to watch was absolutely horrendous. Hell, even now, if it comes off as good, it's still hard to take serious because the Joker is a shoe-less albino red-eyed Jamaican. I just cant stand that. Why couldn't he just look normal? And then there is Batman's ears. *Sigh* but if the writing has gotten better, I guess I could over-look the stupid ass designs(except Jar Jar Joker).

Her personality is so great, I can't even dislike anything about her. :(

Take a cold shower buddy. Shes just a cartoon.:word:

Id like to see a new cartoon with the 70's style art and stories. A more detective type of show. I know it'd never happen, but itd still be cool to see.

As far as the Batman, I work every Saturday so I never get a chance to watch it. I always have to wait for the DVD seasons.

You know what I'd like to see? A 1930's period piece using the Bob Kane designs for the villains (for villains he didnt create I'm sure someone could do new designs for them that look similar to his style). Make it more of a noir type thing. It probably wouldnt work on saturday mornings, but throw that baby on adult swim and you have a winner :o

I always prefered Finger's style to Kane's. I would like to see a series based around Finger's style cause it would come across very Max Fleischer like.

I always prefered Finger's style to Kane's. I would like to see a series based around Finger's style cause it would come across very Max Fleischer like.

Finger was a writer, wasnt he???

They did a spin on DKR last Saturday and it was pretty serious, and quite good.

Finger was a writer, wasnt he???

Yeah I thought only for Batman. I'm not a big Green Lantern fan and I had thought he used to draw his GL stories which are very Fleischer like. It was Marty Nodell.

They did a spin on DKR last Saturday and it was pretty serious, and quite good.

you're not reffering to the Mr. Freeze in the future episode, are you? cause I saw it, and "quite good" is not the way I'd describe it at all :o

you're not reffering to the Mr. Freeze in the future episode, are you? cause I saw it, and "quite good" is not the way I'd describe it at all :o

Strange how completely different people can have completely differing opinions huh? I know you and some of the other fanboys out there are really hoping for a direct adaptation of the stories from the books but I'm just looking to be entertained. If I want to see the stories from the books then I'll go f**king read them. If I'm up on Saturday morning and want to be entertained by a some Batman then I flip on the TV knowing full well that Saturday morning TV has almost ALWAYS been geared for children's entertainment. So to expect the shows aired during that time to take on a more mature tone is kind of ridiculous.

Also don't forget to VOTE:

OR

I don't know how good or well recieved a 30s Batman show would be. A few decades ago, it probably would have been really cool, I'm not sure about that know. I know Bats is based off of many pulp heroes but Idk...

Why don't you know? Why would it have been cool a few decades ago but not now?

1930s Batman Animated Series voiced by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill would be great based on Kane/Finger version.

I will say, I do think a '30s Batman would be kinda pointless given the very Noir-ish and classic tone of BTAS. It'd just be a semi-rehash of BTAS, IMO.

I would go even more extreme than BTAS did though with it...the original batmobile, the same level of technology as they had back the (ala Joker announcing his crimes over the radio, no tv at all), refferences to the depression going on, talk of the trouble happening in Europe...a total period piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"