Who do you hear?

DocLathropBrown

The Man with the Hat is Back
Reaction score
Most all comic readers can attest to this. When you crack open a comic book and begin to read, you hear a voice in your head for different characters when reading their dialogue. Don't lie, we all do it.

So, I'm here to ask who you guys hear when you read the Batbooks? Kevin Conroy? Olan Soule? Adam West? Speak up, now.

It's interesting in the fact that I generally "hear" only the voices from TAS for characters, unless it's Batman, whose particular voice changes in my head depending on the era/art.

There's a voice actor who remains unknown to me who portrayed Batman in a series of book-and-tape series from 1989 (an audio drama production of the "Untold Legend of the Batman" mini series), and he has a bold, classic and old-fashioned voice for Batman. Totally fits the art of Jim Aparo in particular. He's the guy I hear a great majority, for the 70s and 80s material, usually the Jim Aparo stuff or the Aparo-esque stuff like Neal Adams.

For a more sinister looking Dark Knight and most of the 90s stuff in general, I hear Kevin Conroy. Same for today's Batman.

The 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s material, Batman is voiced by Olan Soule, whom you'll all remember from the Superfriends cartoons (save the last two seasons which brought back Adam West).

So, spill. Who voices the cast of Gotham in your minds?

Kevin Conroyyyy.

Though it's very hard to hear their voices if the character looks significantly different. For example, I can't hear Hammil's voice as Joker in DKR. :csad:

Kevin Conroy is my Batman and Hamil is my Joker, most of them are TAS to be honest considering its my definitive everything pretty much :p

sometimes i pretend in christian bale when batman is feirce. "SWEAR TO ME!!!". But other times its conroy. Idk. Depends on the comic.

When I read TLH, I hear Christian Bale. No way can I get a Conroy vibe from that comic.

The most consistent voice I hear is Gordon though. Every comic, I hear Gordon from TAS.

Kevin Conroy is my Batman and Hamil is my Joker, most of them are TAS to be honest considering its my definitive everything pretty much :p

Agreed.

especially Two-Face.

TAS cast mostly.

But Bale's Batman growl is inching forward in my brain, slowly pushing out Conroy. :dry:

Changes around, but Hammil is ALWAYS the Joker. :up:

Basically all the animated series voices. Though Bale's voice is starting to be in my head when I'm reading nowadays.

I don't know if I can pinpoint exactly who I'm hearing, but I believe it's pretty close to the Animated series, especially for Gordon, I never hear Bale's Batman voice though, but his Wayne-voice may be present, I dunno...

If a character from a comic book has been put on TV or film I tend to user that voice. But that does not work for Superman. I use my voice for him....weird.

When Batman is the hero-type Batman, like his 70s version and the most recent, I tend to hear a voice similar to Adam West, but more serious though.

I recently purchased "Batman's greatest stories vol1" and there are several comics in it published in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. And in all of them, Adam West's voice is in my head. Even when I don't want it to be.

Arkham Asylum Batman is Keaton's voice. Long Halloween Batman is Bale's voice. All of the others are Conroys.

Joker's voice is just about always Hamills. Two Face voice is TAS, too. Gordon's voice is usually TAS, sometimes Oldman's. Hell, only a few aren't the voices of TAS.

I find I'm filling in Bale's voice most of the time, especially when the story's incredibly gritty (just read Broken City).

Another semi-related question (not to change the subject), is what music you listen to (if any) when reading Batman? I put on David Julyan's score to The Prestige, and it's quite awesome. It's generic enough where it doesn't get in the way of the story you're reading.

Josh Jackson.

I find I'm filling in Bale's voice most of the time, especially when the story's incredibly gritty (just read Broken City).

Another semi-related question (not to change the subject), is what music you listen to (if any) when reading Batman? I put on David Julyan's score to The Prestige, and it's quite awesome. It's generic enough where it doesn't get in the way of the story you're reading.

Hey that's pretty interesting. I'm going to listen to the soundtrack when I read The Long Halloween. I've tried to listen to Batman Begins but like you said, it gets distracting. The Prestige has a low key tempo that doesn't interfere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"