To be a TRUE Batman...

The Spawn

Better Than You
Reaction score
...do you have to read the comics?

Or can you just be into the movies?

A true batfan would seek out every interpretation of batman available, which a comics happen to be a major contributor of. Having read key comics and liking them are two separate things.

yea im thinking reading every batman book u can get a hold of including all the key stories and even the little ones even if they suck...a true batman fan will go down with the ship and even read a crappy story just because batmans in it...thats my opinion tho

I personally don't believe there is such a thing because it alienates a huge chunk of the fanbase. I've been reading the comics for 19 years and own over 100 stories from the 70 years of Batman history from key ones to horrible ones. I was one of the few who proudly wore his batfan badge when it was considered unfashiobable to do so (1997 all the way to the mid 00's). However I don't think that knowledge and loyalty makes me any "truer" a fan than the guy who just watched BATMAN, TAS or Batman Begins and decided to pick up his first Batman book. More knowledgeable yes but not "truer".

yes. If you only watch the movies, then you're a fan of the movies, not of Batman, which includes several different forms of media. I'd say you have to be a fan of at least 2 different forms of media to be a fan of Batman. Whether it be movies and comics, movies and the tv show, the tv show and the comics...whatever combo.

A True Batman fan reads comics and likes everything batman...i guess...other wise you're just simply a batman fan.

That doesn't make any sense, if you're a Batman fan then you're a Batman fan no matter what incarnation or medium you're a fan of because not everybody is going to agree on one set interpretation as we're all individuals. There are people who care deeply about the Batman movies and know every detail about them same for any of the TV shows but have never picked up a Batman comic. Tell me if they're passionate enough about the character to have great knowledge of the movies or TV show how does that not make them a true fan?

I'll give you the definition of a TRUE Batfan. The kind of fan that dresses up in a custom-made batsuit, then goes out and gets themself killed trying to stop a bank heist with plastic batarangs against fully automatic firearms.

:brucebat:

Well calling yourself a true batman fan because you like the cartoon or liked batman's movies dont make any sense.

To me thats just being a fan of the cartoon. And just being a fan of the movies, there isn't many of them and only a few good out there any way.

A true batman fan can happily and proudly say i love almost anything batman!

Just liking the movies and saying "i love Burtons" or "..Nolans" or "Burtons and nolans movies, but i dont read the comics as im a TRUE batman fan"?!?!?

Sorry what!

And this is why yes and hell yes are on the lead right now. Wouldn't really make sense to say you are a true fan that wont or dont read what Batman originally came from! That jsut makes you a big or huge fan of the other batman stuff. A TRUE BATMAN fan respects and loves almost anything batman!

Dude if there is no "true" Batman how could there be "true" Batman fans? the movies and tv shows are just as valid interpretations as the comics are. **** the movies and tv shows have even influenced the comic canon more times than I can count.

I don't know any of you cats personally but I'd wager that my Batman comic collection is more than likely far greater than yours. How does that make me a "truer" fan than the next man who has the same deep rooted love for the character that I do in a sense but doesn't have the comic collection to show for it? even though he might own thousands of dollars worth of Batman merchandise and is a human encyclopedia when it comes to the tv shows or any of the movies.

I think this topic is really more about who the truest fans are, rather than just the "true fan".

Realistically, I'd say it's pretty much impossible to tell who the truest fans are, unless you had some type of psychic power that allowed you to determine whose mind and ambition were most greatly directed toward the concept of Batman.

Dude if there is no "true" Batman how could there be "true" Batman fans? the movies and tv shows are just as valid interpretations as the comics are. **** the movies and tv shows have even influenced the comic canon more times than I can count.

I don't know any of you cats personally but I'd wager that my Batman comic collection is more than likely far greater than yours. How does that make me a "truer" fan than the next man who has the same deep rooted love for the character that I do in a sense but doesn't have the comic collection to show for it? even though he might own thousands of dollars worth of Batman merchandise and is a human encyclopedia when it comes to the tv shows or any of the movies.

Man chill...!!

Everyone says that. And believe me that is a bold statement!!

We have different of opinion, although the minority rules and i agree with the "yes" and "hell yes".
And the movies, tv shows can influence the comics, thats a good thing as it IS batman. The films came from the comics so its good imo if the influence it.

But the discussion is about being a true fan. And to me a true fan reads the comics and loves anything or at least most things batman. If you dont read the comics and just love the live action movies or cartoons then "to me" you are just grounded to that and are a batman fan "IMO" - no reason to keep slamming each others opinions, there isn't right or wrong opinions just opinions. I;ve heard yours and you've heard mine so lets agree to dissagree on this one ok. :)

lol Deapool living up to his namesake.

Man chill...!!

Everyone says that. And believe me that is a bold statement!!

We have different of opinion, although the minority rules and i agree with the "yes" and "hell yes".
And the movies, tv shows can influence the comics, thats a good thing as it IS batman. The films came from the comics so its good imo if the influence it.

But the discussion is about being a true fan. And to me a true fan reads the comics and loves anything or at least most things batman. If you dont read the comics and just love the live action movies or cartoons then "to me" you are just grounded to that and are a batman fan "IMO" - no reason to keep slamming each others opinions, there isn't right or wrong opinions just opinions. I;ve heard yours and you've heard mine so lets agree to dissagree on this one ok. :)

Hey my bad if it came across as condescending but in no means did I mean it that way I just like to have good discussion and when it's a topic you're passionate about you like to express yourself as clearly as possible. I'm one of the most laid back posters on this board I don't take threads on this site or the internet in general to the artery. I would agree to disagree but I still feel there is something inherently arrogant and narrow minded about labeling "true" fans and what not. How many people on this board know that Batman has retired, been married, had children and even died in his 70 year history? I'm sure there are a few but I guarantee that many didn't even though they love Batman and are loyal posters on a Batman fanboard. So why shun them for it? you either love the character or you hate him. You're either a fan or you're not personally I just don't see any middle ground. This applies to any comic character BTW not just Bats. I voted "Hell Yes" as I pressumed the question was if you're a batfan if it means something else then the thread starter needed to elaborate.

lol Deapool living up to his namesake.

Hey my bad if it came across as condescending but in no means did I mean it that way I just like to have good discussion and when it's a topic you're passionate about you like to express yourself as clearly as possible. I'm one of the most laid back posters on this board I don't take threads on this site or the internet in general to the artery. I would agree to disagree but I still feel there is something inherently arrogant and narrow minded about labeling "true" fans and what not. How many people on this board know that Batman has retired, been married, had children and even died in his 70 year history? I'm sure there are a few but I guarantee that many didn't even though they love Batman and are loyal posters on a Batman fanboard. So why shun them for it? you either love the character or you hate him. You're either a fan or you're not personally I just don't see any middle ground. This applies to any comic character BTW not just Bats. I voted "Hell Yes" as I pressumed the question was if you're a batfan if it means something else then the thread starter needed to elaborate.

Hey man i'm cool with you! I totally and genuinly 100% respect your opinion and dont think anything less of you. I;m not gonna get worked up over another individuals opinion because it differs from mine. :word: Nice to meet you anyway Caine!

As someone else said, I think you have to enjoy at least a couple of mediums (movies, tv, comic) to be a true fan. Me, and I'll seek out the movies and tv, but as far as the books, I haven't picked up one in ages. Probably doesn't make a true fan in the sense of the word, but that doesn't mean I don't love the character as much as the next guy.

Pleased to make your aquaintance mr. spirit of the bat. :word:

A true Batfan is someone who is a fan of Batman. So if someone's a fan of the TAS Batman, then they're a fan.

They're only not a true Batfan....if they're not a fan of Batman.

Liking more incarnations of Batman or reading more comics doesn't make you any more or less ture, it only varies the degree of extremity you put into being a fan.

That doesn't make any sense, if you're a Batman fan then you're a Batman fan no matter what incarnation or medium you're a fan of because not everybody is going to agree on one set interpretation as we're all individuals. There are people who care deeply about the Batman movies and know every detail about them same for any of the TV shows but have never picked up a Batman comic. Tell me if they're passionate enough about the character to have great knowledge of the movies or TV show how does that not make them a true fan?

QFT...QFT...

If they really liked the movies I think a casual reader should at least try and get through The Killing Joke, Year One, Dark Knight Returns and maybe Long Halloween. I'd add the new Confideintial Joker trade to that list when it's released. Some would also say Hush because it sems that book did turn alot of readers back onto Batman. After these TPB's you can decide if it's worth hunting through the second tier trades to find the ones you personally enjoy but are not nesecerrily acknowledged 'classics'. This will put you on another level of fan, reading The Cult and DKSA etc.

But true as Cain said some fans are just more knowledgable than others and that's just a measure of the level of interest. To set limits on what makes a fan is utterly moronic.

A true Batfan is someone who is a fan of Batman. So if someone's a fan of the TAS Batman, then they're a fan.

They're only not a true Batfan....if they're not a fan of Batman.

Liking more incarnations of Batman or reading more comics doesn't make you any more or less ture, it only varies the degree of extremity you put into being a fan.

Thank you. I don't buy Batman comics much but I own Year One, Long Halloween, Hush, and a few others... I also love the movies but I don't seek out Batman in every medium... still a HUGE fan...

I voted Hell No. Comics were the original component, but I don't think you have to read them to be a true fan. You just have to have a true understanding and appreciation of the character.

To me, a true Batfan is a guy who knows more the one version of the character

But a DIEHARD Batfan is the guy who can tell you a little something about every media or comic incarnation and dosent talk out of his ass about it...he can specificially tell you why he likes or hates that version of batman

A true fan is someone who knows and understands that there are different incarnations of the character and generally accepts the changes. They respect the character enough to know that there's always more than one way to tell a story or see him slightly altered. Take for example the costume in movies. "Supposed" die-hard fans of Batman hate it so much they don't think its Batman at all because it's not what it looks like in the comic medium. They swear to only one media outlet and strongly believe that's the only way to go.

Sure we all might not like something but to completely disown the character just because of a few changes is truly ridiculous. A true fan opens his eyes to something different but deep down knows its still the same hero they love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"