Tom Clancy of Comic Books?

Fred_Fury

Sidekick
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any writers that are basically a Tom Clancy of Comic Books, whereas they're experts on the military and intelligence community and incorporate that into their books?

Garth Ennis is pretty good, but he's more about standard warfare than espionage.

I have yet to see anyone with acurate military or espionage depictions...which ticks me off to no end. There are books and PAO's who will offer tons of help on military stuff. The biggest offender to me was Austen's Captain America arc where he screwed up talking about aircraft carriers.

roach said:
I have yet to see anyone with acurate military or espionage depictions...which ticks me off to no end. There are books and PAO's who will offer tons of help on military stuff. The biggest offender to me was Austen's Captain America arc where he screwed up talking about aircraft carriers.

Austen did a lot of things wrong, but I think Rucka comes the closest and Brubaker is pretty good on Cap.

Darthphere said:
Austen did a lot of things wrong, but I think Rucka comes the closest and Brubaker is pretty good on Cap.

as someone who is in the military they really arent that much better

I have thought about writting a Cap story based on some of the stuff I know from being Active Duty

roach said:
as someone who is in the military they really arent that much better

I have thought about writting a Cap story based on some of the stuff I know from being Active Duty

Well considering Cap lives ina world where you have flying heli-carriers, I think the differences are really minute.

I don't know about accuracy for facts, but Brubaker has a Tom Clancy feel to his writing for Cap.

Darthphere said:
Well considering Cap lives ina world where you have flying heli-carriers, I think the differences are really minute.

true but we are talking about real world military stuff

I dont think anyone really writes epsionage or military stuff with a real world setting, just look at SHIElD and Checkmate. They would not be running around with those outfits in the real world.

I have to admit, it'd have been kind of awesome to see someone like Robert Ludlum do a comic book.

If nobody is down with Ludlum, I highly suggest reading his Bourne trilogy. Yes, like the movies...only the books are fifty million times better and no Matt Damon.

But I think Brubaker, when it comes to Marvel, is probably the closest that you're going to get right now. With Captain America.

Darthphere said:
I dont think anyone really writes epsionage or military stuff with a real world setting, just look at SHIElD and Checkmate. They would not be running around with those outfits in the real world.

what I am saying if you are talking about the technical details of the Helicarrier then make it up as you go....but if you are talking about the technical details of a piece of equipment that is in our world...IE. Tanks, ships, Specwar units....then they should be based on real world stuff.

Darthphere said:
Greg Rucka

Queen%20And%20Country%20big.jpg

Please, read it for your own good:(

Rucka is a great spy/epionage writer, but he handles superheroes nicely too: Wonder Woman and Adventures of Superman were both excellent under his pen.
Most underrated writer in comics, IMO. :o

CantThinkOfAName said:
Greg Rucka

Queen%20And%20Country%20big.jpg

Please, read it for your own good:(

Ummm I already said Greg Rucka, its the 2nd post.:confused: And ive read Queen and Country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"