Tom Hooper to direct movie of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Cats'

I think we should put this film in a deep space probe and shoot it beyond our solar system. Just to troll some aliens.

Alien- Felines that dance and communicate through music? Eradicate them.

God, can you guys imagine what the mood on the set while filming this was? I mean, surely everyone by day three of this production knew this was a complete utter disaster and were just trying to get through it with as much dignity as possible.

God, can you guys imagine what the mood on the set while filming this was? I mean, surely everyone by day three of this production knew this was a complete utter disaster and were just trying to get through it with as much dignity as possible.

They couldn't have known, because they did not know what they would look like.

The issue is more to do with the director than the actors. They put an insurmountable amount of trust in Hooper with this.

Supposedly they were still working on the film the day of the premiere and had to just stop working and deliver it. They couldnt delay the theatrical release at that point so they delivered the unfinished film to theater chains so it could make its release date. And at the studio they just kept working on the film until they finished it which is the version that's now being delivered to theater chains.

That is truly the most bizarre thing I think I've ever heard after a film has been released.

I can only hope Cheetah from WW84 can single handedly revive any hopes of a live action Thundercats after this pretty much utterly and completely killed any possibility of that.

That is truly the most bizarre thing I think I've ever heard after a film has been released.

The only recent similar incident I can think of is The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug. Jackson and crew were working on that film's edit until early morning the day of the premiere. The whole team pulled an insane shift to get it done. Battle of Five Armies had a crunch too right up until the premiere. But that was kind of understandable with those films because they had almost no preproduction after GDT left, the films' structure and creature designs were constantly changing in some drastic ways, reshoots ended up being the size and length of an average film production and the post production periods for DOS and BOFA were only like a year or less for each.

Cats really shouldn't have had this kind of trouble. Full cgi creatures are old hat in 2019, cgi fur and sub dermal musculature is old hat, mo cap is a science these days, and it's based on a play with a preexisting script and musical numbers and dances that could be lifted directly into the film adaption. And cats wasnt split into multiple 150+ minute films. Hooper should have been fired or another director should have been brought in for "reshoots".

The only recent similar incident I can think of is The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug. Jackson and crew were working on that film's edit until early morning the day of the premiere. The whole team pulled an insane shift to get it done. Battle of Five Armies had a crunch too right up until the premiere. But that was kind of understandable with those films because they had almost no preproduction after GDT left, the films' structure and creature designs were constantly changing in some drastic ways, reshoots ended up being the size and length of an average film production and the post production periods for DOS and BOFA were only like a year or less for each.

Cats really shouldn't have had this kind of trouble. Full cgi creatures are old hat in 2019, cgi fur and sub dermal musculature is old hat, mo cap is a science these days, and it's based on a play with a preexisting script and musical numbers and dances that could be lifted directly into the film adaption. And cats wasnt split into multiple 150+ minute films. Hooper should have been fired or another director should have been brought in for "reshoots".
The issue with the Hobbit flicks was entirely Jackson. he changed the look of designs, where characters showed up and the script very close to release dates, for apparently no reason other then being fickle. There was never a reason to change out Azog for Bolg a month before the first films release, and completely redesign him. Or to add Bolg back in a month before the release of the second film, and then completely redesign him. Remember at least Bolg was originally practical and he filmed the entire trilogy that way.

Also it is unfair to say there was no preproduction. First of all, GDT worked with Jackson in the first place for 2 years. Then after GDT left, Jackson spent six months apparently doing nothing until October were he appointed himself director and then had 5 months more of preproduction.

Last edited:
I just got out of this and i don't think a prestige director has ever fallen flat on his face quite like this. It's that bad. Every type of horrid reaction i could have to this i had. I was horrified, in complete shock, disgusted, bored, AND laughing my butt off, sometimes all at once.

The issue with the Hobbit flicks was entirely Jackson. he changed the look of designs, where characters showed up and the script very close to release dates, for apparently no reason other then being fickle. There was never a reason to change out Azog for Bolg a month before the first films release, and completely redesign him. Or to add Bolg back in a month before the release of the second film, and then completely redesign him. Remember at least Bolg was originally practical and he filmed the entire trilogy that way.

Also it is unfair to say there was no preproduction. First of all, GDT worked with Jackson in the first place for 2 years. Then after GDT left, Jackson spent six months apparently doing nothing until October were he appointed himself director and then had 5 months more of preproduction.

Jackson threw out nearly everything GDT designed and planned and treated his takeover of the project like the start of a new production so that 2 years of preproduction with GDT cant really be counted as preproduction for Jackson's films. The trilogy had 5 months of preproduction compared to LOTR which had 2 years of preproduction beginning in August 1997. Unlike with the Hobbit, Jackson was directing from the beginning so even tho the films moved from Miramax and it was extended to a trilogy under New Line, Jackson retained those years of preproduction elements and WETA's extensive preproduction elements.

Jackson threw out nearly everything GDT designed and planned and treated his takeover of the project like the start of a new production so that 2 years of preproduction with GDT cant really be counted as preproduction for Jackson's films. The trilogy had 5 months of preproduction compared to LOTR which had 2 years of preproduction beginning in August 1997. Unlike with the Hobbit, Jackson was directing from the beginning so even tho the films moved from Miramax and it was extended to a trilogy under New Line, Jackson retained those years of preproduction elements and WETA's extensive preproduction elements.
That was Jackson's decision. As was making three movies instead of two.

That's disgraceful. The fx in the version currently out are disgusting.
It is exactly why you can't take technical awards seriously at the Oscars. And yet people try to use them as some sort of barometer.

I absolutely refuse to believe the $100 million budget.

The mere fact that the CG wasn't mo-capped, but hand applied to the scenes alone should be proof of that. I feel for the poor animators who worked on this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"