Tom Hooper to direct movie of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Cats'

Idris Elba doesn't strike me as a "second choice" sort of actor. I can't see them saying "Well, we couldn't get Hugh Jackman so I guess we'll go with Idris Elba."
I can. Hugh is an A-lister, a more proven box office draw, had an established rapport with the director, and had more well-known musical theater chops. Lots of 2nd choices (hell, top 5 choices) on studio wishlists are equally as big a name as the top choices. Their wishlist for that character probably only contained big names.

I can. Hugh is an A-lister, a more proven box office draw, had an established rapport with the director, and had more well-known musical theater chops. Lots of 2nd choices (hell, top 5 choices) on studio wishlists are equally as big a name as the top choices. Their wishlist for that character probably only contained big names.

Plus Australian, keeping those sweet, sweet tax credits. Its what keeps the Hemsworths in business...

Is Tom Hooper regarded as the worst Oscar-winning director ? A genuine question, because everywhere I go, I always saw people underestimate and bash his films/style/directing even though he has an Oscar under his name.

I really liked Les Miserables and King‘s Speech is one of my favourite movies. I like his style and the use of wide-angled-lenses.
Everyone can gave a bad movie.

It's more that he's not pleasant to work with and not well liked by anyone. So his misfires will be amplified.

The thing is James Cameron has that same rep but it feels like it would be more fun to get chewed out by him than Hooper.

I’ve never been a big fan, but James Cameron also made movies that defined a lot of people’s childhoods and helped shape the cinema landscape itself, so he earned that pass a bit. Hooper’s just made a bunch of stuffy Brit/period films which, while occasionally solid, weren’t exactly lighting the world on fire. If you’re gonna have that kind of attitude and ego, you’d better at least have the talent to back it up. Otherwise, people will just gleefully wait for you to get a much needed reality check, which is what happened here.

Personally, I hated his Les Mis movie. The actors' singing voices were awful other than Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, and a couple others.

I like Russell Crowe, but he couldn't do Javert.

VsUtxwh.png

I saw the whole thing... with my eyes... in theaters... with other people...and I haven't been the same since.

My condolences! My family wanted to see it in theatres for a laugh, but I didn’t feel like going at all.

It’s an elderitch horror the likes of which haven’t been seen before or since. No other horror film will ever compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"