Top Gun: Maverick

James Cameron watching that clip:

tumblr_mj413mkLJp1s1u802o1_250.gif

I'm not sure I am capable of rolling my eyes hard enough. Setting aside the whole question of whether "Hollywood" even needed saving. Setting aside the whole issue of how theatrical release does not exist in some higher artistic plain. Setting aside the giant Cameron shaped elephant in the room. Is Spielberg *really* capable of pretending, with a straight face, that Maverick is not exactly the same kind popcorn film that has *still* been incredibly successful this whole time? Its not just an action adventure movie, its an action adventure movie *sequel*.

Ah yes. Looks like we are moving into the “the film was always gonna be a mega hit, just don’t check my posting history” phase.

Context people. Top Gun brought in more of a mix of people than Spider-Man - plus better legs. It brought back an older crowd that Hollywood thought wasn’t leaving their homes, which in turn then helped Elvis become the hit it was.

It was a surprise because it was an old school flick that was not expected to make over a billion. *Nobody* predicted it would. It brought back “word of mouth”. When the pandemic hit, people were wondering if anything but the MCU would be able to make over a billion. If theatres were only going to be comic book movies.

Context people. Top Gun brought in more of a mix of people than Spider-Man - plus better legs. It brought back an older crowd that Hollywood thought wasn’t leaving their homes, which in turn then helped Elvis become the hit it was.

It was a surprise because it was an old school flick that was not expected to make over a billion. *Nobody* predicted it would. It brought back “word of mouth”. When the pandemic hit, people were wondering if anything but the MCU would be able to make over a billion. If theatres were only going to be comic book movies.
This is the truth. I won't revise my own history here and say I believed it would do the numbers it did, because I was 100% a detractor. It outperformed every expectation. Now will Hollywood learn the lesson here? As in the past, probably not, but I have to admire Bruckheimer's comment that they're just trying to relish the moment.

What I'd love to know is if these two have mended their relationship after Tom Cruise's meltdown affecting War of the Worlds?

Ah yes. Looks like we are moving into the “the film was always gonna be a mega hit, just don’t check my posting history” phase.
I will fully admit I thought it would do ok at best. It looked like another “original character steps aside so young cooler generation takes over” sequel. But it found the right balance.

I will fully admit I thought it would do ok at best. It looked like another “original character steps aside so young cooler generation takes over” sequel. But it found the right balance.
The common thread I found in its praise is, groaningly, it was culturally apolitical. It's a straight-up, old-school, brain-off Bruckheimer action film. More thought-through opinions point out, which is absolutely valid, that it's a legacyquel that didn't take potshots at the original in an attempt to make you feel silly or ashamed for liking it. Both the old and the new crew prove their worth and learn from each other to get the mission done.

Did Spielberg mean Top Gun saved Hollywood because of continuously bringing weekly business to the theaters all summer for the same movie? If not the Spiderman, Top Gun and Avatar all 3 equally deserve that praise for bringing people back to the theaters.

Even though I agree with Spielberg in what he’s trying to say, this was a private moment between Tom Cruise and Spielberg recorded without their permission by someone on an iPhone.

I don’t think Spielberg thought his words would be analyzed all over the internet. This wasn’t for a public interview lol

Even with Top Gun, Spider-Man and Avatar being the post-Covid successes that they are it still doesn't change the fact that non-blockbusters are still struggling. Spielberg himself knows this all too well with West Side Story and The Fabelmans underperforming.

Yeah I’m actually surprised people are not getting where he’s coming from. We’ve been hearing people from Spielberg’s generation especially lamenting the takeover of Hollywood by CGI-laden superhero blockbusters, particularly the MCU. OF COURSE an old-school one like Top Gun coming along with minimal expectations and doing superhero numbers by bringing out the older crowds that don’t go to the movies anymore would be a breath of fresh air and sign of hope to those folks.

There definitely seems like there could be a shift happening here. The contrast between the mega-success of Maverick and Avatar with the underperformance of the latest crop of superhero films doesn't seem like just a random occurrence.

And no, not saying the superhero movie is dead, but it does feel like we could be reaching a tipping point where people aren't going to rush out for the middle of the road ones in droves anymore and it's gotta be something special that warrants a big screen experience.

This would be great news IMO.

There definitely seems like there could be a shift happening here. The contrast between the mega-success of Maverick and Avatar with the underperformance of the latest crop of superhero films doesn't seem like just a random occurrence.

And no, not saying the superhero movie is dead, but it does feel like we could be reaching a tipping point where people aren't going to rush out for the middle of the road ones in droves anymore and it's gotta be something special that warrants a big screen experience.

This would be great news IMO.
CBMs took their audiences for granted and the audiences became aware of that IMO. They then were looking for opportunities to express support for non CBMs that provided solid entertainment and reject middle of the road (and below) CBMs that were thrown out there for guaranteed returns.

Not too surprising… Deadline lists Top Gun: Maverick as its #2 “most profitable blockbuster” of 2022.

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Box Office Numbers: Film Earns $391M In Profit – Deadline

The movie’s return-on-investment would have been higher. But $280M :astonished: in corporate revenue got diverted to profit “participations” — chiefly Tom Cruise.

I expected a higher profit. Cruise took a big chunk. I think we all know what the most profitable film of 2022 will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"