• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top Ten Characters of the Decade

Agreed.

...lack of females on the list...

It's hard to blame them. Juno is a good call, but there are very few other female characters who deserve to be on the list.

And Peter Parker sucks. Anyone who thinks that's a great character (as portrayed in the films) is a total Spidey mark.

I'm betting Ziggyboy's list will be 10 characters played by Scarlett Johansson :oldrazz:

I may not have liked some of these character's movies but speaking in terms of the zeitgeist and cultural impact, I'd say...

Gollum

Donnie Darko

The Joker

Napolean Dynamite

JigSaw

Spider-Man

Edward Cullen (Shudders)

Wall-E

Jack Sparrow

The Bride

These are the characters people'll be talking about next decade as defining oo's popular cinema, I think.

I may not have liked some of these character's movies but speaking in terms of the zeitgeist and cultural impact, I'd say...

Gollum

Donnie Darko

The Joker

Napolean Dynamite

JigSaw

Spider-Man

Edward Cullen (Shudders)

Wall-E

Jack Sparrow

The Bride

These are the characters people'll be talking about next decade as defining oo's popular cinema, I think.

That is so very sad. :csad:

I think Donnie Darko gets too much crap :( samething with Juno.

Great characters.

Donnie Darko gets what it deserved. There's a reason I didn't bold Napoleon Dynamite or Edward Cullen on that list.

Harry Potter, easily. In the last decade, I have yet to see another character permeate our culture, let alone cinema, as much as Harry Potter has.

Wikus Van De Merwe
Marv
Hartigan
Maximus
the Joker
Jason Bourne
Norman Osborne

Disturbing lack of DANIEL PLAINVIEW !!

daniel_plainview.jpg

Awesome topic!

Anton Chigurh
Brick Top (Alan Ford in Snatch)
Daniel Plainview
The Joker
Hans ''The Jewhunter'' Landa
Gary ''Gal'' Dove (Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast)
Robert Ford (Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)
Alfred Borden (Christian Bale in The Prestige)
Monty Brogan (Edward Norton in 25th Hour)
Ken (Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges)

Honorable mentions: Aldo Raine, Frank Costello, William Costigan, Wikus van de Merwe, Walt Kowalski, Ed Tom Bell, Boris the Blade, Eli Sunday, Jasper Palmer, Theo Faron, Don Logan, Steve Zissou, Bill the Butcher

No order:
Daniel Plainview
Gandalf
Gollum
Ennis Del Mar
Robert Ford
Clementine Kruczynski
Anton Chigurh
Hans Landa
The Bride
The Joker
Jack Sparrow
Bill The Butcher

12 I know

A few I didn't see mentioned yet...

Captain Vidal - Pan's Labyrinth

Briony Tallis - Atonement

Thomas & Isabel - The Fountain

Capa & Pinbacker - Sunshine

Harvey Milk - Milk

McLovin - Superbad

Awesome topic!

Anton Chigurh
Brick Top (Alan Ford in Snatch)
Daniel Plainview
The Joker
Hans ''The Jewhunter'' Landa
Gary ''Gal'' Dove (Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast)
Robert Ford (Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)
Alfred Borden (Christian Bale in The Prestige)
Monty Brogan (Edward Norton in 25th Hour)
Ken (Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges)

Honorable mentions: Aldo Raine, Frank Costello, William Costigan, Wikus van de Merwe, Walt Kowalski, Ed Tom Bell, Boris the Blade, Eli Sunday, Jasper Palmer, Theo Faron, Don Logan, Steve Zissou, Bill the Butcher

I think if you have to add the actor and movie they were in, they are quite far from the Top Ten Characters, they should be instantly recognizable from the character's name.

I don't know about that. I mean, how many movies have we seen where we don't learn the character's last name, or the character's name at all? We don't know Ed Norton's character's name in Fight Club, and he was a great character. He's often referred to as "Jack," but that's not his name. And even if it was, if you just said the name "Jack" for one of the best characters of all time, would anyone know who you were talking about?

Ed Norton's character in Fight Club has a name, and it's revealed in the movie.

I think if you have to add the actor and movie they were in, they are quite far from the Top Ten Characters, they should be instantly recognizable from the character's name.
I dont agree. Favourite characters are the characters you personally think are the best. If other people know who they are or not should not be relevant.

But this thread is not about *your* favourite characters.. sadly. Someone add "your" to the title.

Juno...?

...lack of females on the list...

Mary Jane Watson!!!

Just kidding.

For females, Juno, sure. I 100% think that this fierce lady should be on the list

meryl_streep_miranda_priestly_devil.jpg

Miranda Priestly :up:

hurm some other ones...it's slim pickings friends. I guess I would be ok with these. All fairly iconic performances even if you didn't like the film.

Penny Lane (almost famous came out in 2000, so it works)

aff.jpg

Regina George

1025_res2_ReginaGeorge1.jpg

Briony Tallis (all three ages, from Atonement)

briony2.jpg

Clementine Kruczynski

Clementine+Kruczynski.jpg

Aileen Wuornos

monster.jpg

I really liked Jennifer Hudson in Dream Girls (can't remember the character name).

Also, I think Wall-E should be on the list :heart:

When I think of the 2000s, these are the ten characters that I will remember the best.

1. Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
2. Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood
3. The Joker from The Dark Knight
4. Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men
5. Maximus Decimus Meridius from Gladiator
6. Gollum from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
7. Billy Costigan from The Departed
8. Randy "The Ram" Robinson from The Wrestler
9. William Cutting from Gangs of New York
10. Bill from Kill Bill

The last one is probably the most 'out there' choice, but I personally found him to be far more interesting and memorable than Beatrix Kiddo.

Harry Potter, easily. In the last decade, I have yet to see another character permeate our culture, let alone cinema, as much as Harry Potter has.

I won't deny this, but I've always thought of Harry Potter as more of a literary character than a cinematic one. The books are probably more well known and popular than the films, unlike something like No Country for Old Men for example.

In no specific order:
Jack Sparrow
Ledger's Joker
Spider-Man
Iron Man
Nemo
Jason Bourne
Gollum
Harry Potter
Napolean Dynamite (Ugh...)
Anton Chigurh

Users who are viewing this thread