• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top Ten Characters of the Decade

Is it some sort of fashionable thing these days to label a movie as crap just because it was critically acclaimed a while back?

These would probably be my top ten. I'm not counting any real-life people, except for Charlie Kaufman who only sort of counts:

Anton Chigurh
Aragorn
Charlie Kaufman/Donald Kaufman
Daniel Plainview
Hans Landa
Randy "The Ram" Robinson
Theo Faron
Ulysses Everett McGill
WALL-E
William Costigan

Others of note:

The Bride, Edwin Hoover, James Bond, Jason Bourne, "One Punch" Mickey O'Neil, Le Mu Bai, Miles Raymond, Royal Tenenbaum, Walt Kowalski

Awesome topic!

Anton Chigurh
Brick Top (Alan Ford in Snatch)
Daniel Plainview
The Joker
Hans ''The Jewhunter'' Landa
Gary ''Gal'' Dove (Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast)
Robert Ford (Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)
Alfred Borden (Christian Bale in The Prestige)
Monty Brogan (Edward Norton in 25th Hour)
Ken (Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges)

Honorable mentions: Aldo Raine, Frank Costello, William Costigan, Wikus van de Merwe, Walt Kowalski, Ed Tom Bell, Boris the Blade, Eli Sunday, Jasper Palmer, Theo Faron, Don Logan, Steve Zissou, Bill the Butcher
Really good list overall.

Is it some sort of fashionable thing these days to label a movie as crap just because it was critically acclaimed a while back?

Possibly. I've always hated Gladiator, so it has nothing to do with being fashionable.

Possibly. I've always hated Gladiator, so it has nothing to do with being fashionable.

That's fine. I can understand why some people don't like it. I do, but I'm also not one of those people who think it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

It's just that, if you go over to that thread that's predicting this year's oscars, people are ranting and raving about how, apparently, every film that was named Best Picture in the last 20 years is overrated crap.

[A];17776605 said:
I'm betting Ziggyboy's list will be 10 characters played by Scarlett Johansson :oldrazz:
As much as I love her...she's never played an "iconic" character...:cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"