'Touchdown Jesus' Statue Destroyed By Lightning Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You fooled me. I thought it was that building on Notre Dame's campus

20 minutes down the road from my work...you should have seen all the on-lookers on the side of the road. A mixture of people crying and others taking pictures.

Are they taking this as some sort of sign, from the man some people think lives in the clouds?

What, that they're doing it wrong? They're doing "god's" will, since it's something they like.

Hah, no. I think the majority of christians believe it was silly, despite how cool the statue was... myself included. And yeah, I live maybe twenty minutes or so from it so it's BIG news around here. Most people are laughing about it. My two favorite things have been:

An epic battle of the Gods last night.... Thor 1/Jesus 0.

and...

This just in, Jesus Christ has perminantly been benched for excessive touchdown celebration.

There's also the mentions of Terminator Jesus.

Hah, no. I think the majority of christians believe it was silly, despite how cool the statue was... myself included. And yeah, I live maybe twenty minutes or so from it so it's BIG news around here.
Yeah, this is near my neck of the woods too. I think the statue is/was a prime example of what's wrong with organized religion. The bible specifically talks against the creation of idols. The money spent on this should have gone to a charity. Now they're going to spend even more money on it to replace it.

Most people are laughing about it. My two favorite things have been:

An epic battle of the Gods last night.... Thor 1/Jesus 0.

and...

This just in, Jesus Christ has perminantly been benched for excessive touchdown celebration.

There's also the mentions of Terminator Jesus.

I've been hearing that alot too because the skeleton looks like a T1000.

Zeus just owned Jesus there.

rcveoy.jpg

when i first saw the thread, i thought it said "destroyed by Lightning Strikez" and I was like "Damnit Caliph, what crazy capers are you getting into now"

:p

aw man, i loved touchdown jesus! he made traveling through ohio slightly less than god awful....if only for a few passing moments.

Yeah, this is near my neck of the woods too. I think the statue is/was a prime example of what's wrong with organized religion. The bible specifically talks against the creation of idols. The money spent on this should have gone to a charity. Now they're going to spend even more money on it to replace it.

I agree that the money spent on this could and should have been used elsewhere, but in their defense, Solid Rock does do a buttload of charity and outreach stuff. They're one of those filthy rich churches that does give tons of money here and there (according to my uncle, who attends there) and still has money left over to throw around. So it isn't like they AREN'T giving to the needy and doing what the bible asks of them, they just have extra money to build big cool buttery football Jesuses. In that regard they're doing nothing wrong. It's my guess, but I'd assume they give tens of thousands of dollars plus every month.

And I'll add this to that... if you have a problem with Solid Rock Church's statue and how it spends it's money... what's's that got to do with Organized Religion? My church is organized just the same but we don't horde a dime... including pastors getting smaller pay checks, a children's pastor actually working for free, etc. What they do have extra we usually donate or put toward needy families, the elderly, other ministries to help people, etc. Most churches I now are like this. In fact with the exception of the majority of senior pastors, every other pastor I know of (and I know a lot) have to work a second job to make ends meet so that the funds brought in by the church can go to the community and outreach and such. That's why most christians I know do look at football Jesus as a bit of a joke. It's cool and all, but still silly at the same time.

Also, as far as the idols thing... the bible says not to create idols to worship. They do not worship the statue, it's just a statue. They worship Jesus Christ Himself. There's nothing unbiblical in this regard. Now if people were bowing before the statue worshiping it and waiting for it to speak or something, like if the statue itself were God and not just a statue of God, then it'd be an issue.

aw man, i loved touchdown jesus! he made traveling through ohio slightly less than god awful....if only for a few passing moments.

Hey, at least we're not Nebraska. I drove through that once and got excited when we saw a rock... because that was the first thing besides grass and bales of hey we saw. You shoudl have seen us when we actually saw a cow!

when i first saw the thread, i thought it said "destroyed by Lightning Strikez" and I was like "Damnit Caliph, what crazy capers are you getting into now"

:p

I swear, I had nothing to do with this! :csad:

*places hand on Holy Bible*

It's sad that the lightning was obviously because it was a huge metal thing in the middle of nowhere.... and not that it was God telling them to cut it out.

^ You never know. God works in mysterious ways.

I would have struck it down myself if I had the power to do so. :dry:

I agree that the money spent on this could and should have been used elsewhere, but in their defense, Solid Rock does do a buttload of charity and outreach stuff. They're one of those filthy rich churches that does give tons of money here and there (according to my uncle, who attends there) and still has money left over to throw around. So it isn't like they AREN'T giving to the needy and doing what the bible asks of them, they just have extra money to build big cool buttery football Jesuses. In that regard they're doing nothing wrong. It's my guess, but I'd assume they give tens of thousands of dollars plus every month.

And I'll add this to that... if you have a problem with Solid Rock Church's statue and how it spends it's money... what's's that got to do with Organized Religion? My church is organized just the same but we don't horde a dime... including pastors getting smaller pay checks, a children's pastor actually working for free, etc. What they do have extra we usually donate or put toward needy families, the elderly, other ministries to help people, etc. Most churches I now are like this. In fact with the exception of the majority of senior pastors, every other pastor I know of (and I know a lot) have to work a second job to make ends meet so that the funds brought in by the church can go to the community and outreach and such. That's why most christians I know do look at football Jesus as a bit of a joke. It's cool and all, but still silly at the same time.

Also, as far as the idols thing... the bible says not to create idols to worship. They do not worship the statue, it's just a statue. They worship Jesus Christ Himself. There's nothing unbiblical in this regard. Now if people were bowing before the statue worshiping it and waiting for it to speak or something, like if the statue itself were God and not just a statue of God, then it'd be an issue.

With all due respect to your uncle, I see Solid Rock as a mega-church/cult type of church. For a church to spend $250,000+ on an unnecessary statue when that money could have, and should have, gone to some kind of charitable program is despicable. (Which you agreed with me on.)

The amount they do give means nothing to me when they can spend such a ridiculous amount on a statue they do not need. And now, there are reports suggesting that it is 'going to take' upwards of $1 MILLION to replace it.

Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I just cannot stand these large mega-churches.

It's sad that the lightning was obviously because it was a huge metal thing in the middle of nowhere.... and not that it was God telling them to cut it out.
The deeply religious usually don't think this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"