Tourist killed by 'dinosaur-sized' shark off South African beach.

This thread has my name written all over it.

Now i can really re-live JAWS.

Now where is Hooper and Quint? :awesome:

Well don't they "smell" the blood? Maybe they bite to see if it bleeds, and when they "smell" it they go after it.
Are you suggesting that they "smell" the human blood and are deterred? I mean, that would make sense if human remains haven't been found in the stomachs of white sharks before. The thing is...they have.

Typically, a white shark doesn't smell the blood of its prey before the attack. They want their presence to be completely unknown until the moment they strike. That's when you see the ambush strategy employed: one massive hit, and ask questions later.

However, there have been cases in which people reported feeling something scrape or rub against a leg or foot before an attack. Sharks have tiny teeth (denticles) on their skin that can be highly abrasive. Interestingly, there are small pores/organs underneath these denticles that appear similar to taste buds. The idea has in the past been put forth that sharks use their skin-teeth (denticles) to create abrasions on would-be prey items in order to "taste" them.

Furthermore, when exploring unfamiliar objects (perhaps testing them for edibility), sharks use their mouths in place of hands. It wouldn't be surprising to hear that a shark, before a potential attack, has gently "bitten" a victim to test it out. That's why you often hear about shark attack survivors feeling an initial "tug" or other "gentle" sensation on their leg or foot before an actual attack took place.

So, I suppose in summary, sometimes sharks do take a cautious approach to unfamiliar and potential prey items. However, I wouldn't characterize most attacks by white sharks in that way based on accounts of the attacks. Those are usually consistent with the ambush-strategy attack. The intent is to kill, not to explore.

I know I'm rambling, but I just wasn't sure how to approach your question, or what it was you were getting at.

Are you suggesting that they "smell" the human blood and are deterred? I mean, that would make sense if human remains haven't been found in the stomachs of white sharks before. The thing is...they have.

Typically, a white shark doesn't smell the blood of its prey before the attack. They want their presence to be completely unknown until the moment they strike. That's when you see the ambush strategy employed: one massive hit, and ask questions later.

However, there have been cases in which people reported feeling something scrape or rub against a leg or foot before an attack. Sharks have tiny teeth (denticles) on their skin that can be highly abrasive. Interestingly, there are small pores/organs underneath these denticles that appear similar to taste buds. The idea has in the past been put forth that sharks use their skin-teeth (denticles) to create abrasions on would-be prey items in order to "taste" them.

Furthermore, when exploring unfamiliar objects (perhaps testing them for edibility), sharks use their mouths in place of hands. It wouldn't be surprising to hear that a shark, before a potential attack, has gently "bitten" a victim to test it out. That's why you often hear about shark attack survivors feeling an initial "tug" or other "gentle" sensation on their leg or foot before an actual attack took place.

So, I suppose in summary, sometimes sharks do take a cautious approach to unfamiliar and potential prey items. However, I wouldn't characterize most attacks by white sharks in that way based on accounts of the attacks. Those are usually consistent with the ambush-strategy attack. The intent is to kill, not to explore.

I know I'm rambling, but I just wasn't sure how to approach your question, or what it was you were getting at.

:lmao:

Earthquakes & Dinosaur like creature sightings & a British Woman trying to look like Jessica Rabbit. Not a bad first month for 2010 I say

The Culprit

VMNH_megalodon.jpg

Not quite.

jabberjaw.jpg

Well, great whites are ambush predators, yes. However, I don't buy into the idea that they leave because they "realize" that their prey item isn't a seal or sea lion. I believe that to be a blatant misconception. They have eaten people in the past, particularly in situations where injured parties aren't immediately pulled from the water.

They're not running away. They're waiting. They're waiting for you to bleed out and die before they come back to enjoy their meal. They exhibit the very same behavior and hunting strategy when they attack pinnipeds. They hit their prey once with devastating and damaging results, and then back off to avoid a struggle or fight that may injure the shark and waste precious energy.

In the human attacks where the shark seemingly "runs away," I guarantee that the shark is nearby and at depth, and that given the opportunity would come back to finish the job.

See, I'm not a total shark nerd and no, none of this is "common sense". I watched Shark Week like...twice in my life. I'm no shark expert. Apparently you're either the worlds greatest shark expert or a shark with an internet connection.

See, I'm not a total shark nerd and no, none of this is "common sense". I watched Shark Week like...twice in my life. I'm no shark expert. Apparently you're either the worlds greatest shark expert or a shark with an internet connection.

It's "common sense" in the way that if you know a little about the nature of... well, nature, you can easily deduce it.

The whole concept of nature being "red in tooth and claw" is misguided. Predatory animals go hungry more often than not. Knowing this, it's kind of silly to say that a shark won't eat a human because they don't like the taste, since the shark, being a predator wouldn't deny such an easy meal. The idea that they take a bite and then circle back when the prey bleeds out makes far more sense than them not liking our flavor.

I never said it was common sense. It's a behavior that confused people for a long time. :huh:

Your post comes off as....defensive. I'm not sure why.

Shark Week is garbage, by the way. Just want to throw that out there.

You pretty much covered it lol. Maybe they are....getting smarter :wow:

Carcharodon is the Hype's resident marine life sexexpert.

He should of poked the shark in those horrible, black, lifeless eyes.

*Edit*

It was a video of Hudson from "Aliens" with his infamous "Game over man!", but it included a cuss word so I removed it.

Last edited:
You might want to remove that video, Mike. It's in violation of the TOS, and you could potentially receive an infraction for it.

The Culprit

VMNH_megalodon.jpg
I have told my friends before about my belief that Meglondon could still exist. I have said how they could be living in the deepest parts of are oceans since their teeth is not old compared to other creatures thought to of died out. I mean we have not been to the deepest part of are planet's oceans yet. But I don't really want to know whats down there. I could be right about Meglondon or it could be something like Cloverfield.

I have told my friends before about my belief that Meglondon could still exist. I have said how they could be living in the deepest parts of are oceans since their teeth is not old compared to other creatures thought to of died out. I mean we have not been to the deepest part of are planet's oceans yet. But I don't really want to know whats down there. I could be right about Meglondon or it could be something like Cloverfield.
Megalodon. The problem with the idea of Meg's current existence is that not one single new tooth has been recovered. All known specimens are fossilized, and even the so-called "young" fossil teeth are surrounded with debate over their true age.

It would be cool, but there's absolutely no evidence to support it.

[/Rain-on-Parade]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"