Trion Worlds explains how Defiance will 'co-evolve' in two mediums

Defiance producer discusses EGO, payment models, and more

Sci-fi, MMO industry, New titles, News items, Defiance

Although games have been based on other media such as movies, television shows, and comics, no one has blended an MMO and a media property into one interactive world. No one, that is, until Trion Worlds and Syfy teamed up to create Defiance. In a recent interview, Defiance Producer Robb Hill talked about various aspects of the upcoming game, including content, cross-platform interaction, the payment model, and more.

Acknowledging that new content can't be released on a weekly basis, Hill explained the plan for keeping things fresh in-game. He highlights that besides the competitive multiplayer system, players can continually redo encounters and net new rewards.

Hill also elaborated on the game's EGO system, describing it as an implanted AI device that grants players the ability to survive the harsh environments and also gives special abilities like cloaking and super speed. The in-game HUD is actually a manifestation of the EGO, giving players information and updating as missions progress.

Regarding cross-platform interaction, Hill said that although it is possible (the dev team is currently playing together from different platforms), the public will not be able to in the commercial game. He stated, "Sony and Microsoft aren't too keen on us doing that, so no. We're not allowed to." Although the payment model has not been 100% decided, Hill also noted that the development team is leaning toward players buying the box then choosing if they want to buy piecemeal or subscribe to get the downloadable content free.

Von Bach Industries website offers Defiance beta signups, lore

(8 hours ago)
Betas, Sci-fi, Video, Lore, MMO industry, New titles, News items, Defiance

[YT]xcHMEyJ7S-4[/YT]​

Trion has taken the wraps off a new promotional website for Defiance. The site is an in-character affair festooned with videos, lore, and of course a beta signup form for the upcoming MMO shooter. Testing starts in just over 28 days and the company says spots are limited.

The website is the home of Von Bach Industries, a corporation responsible for harnessing EGO technology in the world of Defiance. The tech, which was "brought to earth by Votans and brought to life by Von Bach Industries," serves as a lore-appropriate explanation for the game's user interface. In other words, it's "a symbiotic neuro-muscular bionetic implant [that] alters its host at the genetic level, providing encyclopaedic heads-up intelligence while simultaneously unlocking and managing corporeal-maximization, or EGO Powers." Continue Reading

• Defiance Beta Taking Signups

News
    on Jan 03, 2013 at 03:15 PM

Get a sneak peek at the cross-platform MMO that runs alongside the upcoming SyFy television series by throwing your name in for Defiance’s Advanced Mission Beta 1.
    ... More
source: GI

This topic is basically spam at this point.

That was a spambot Zenith, just an FYI if you didn't know. Anyway, I looked into Defiance a bit mor eand it looks pretty neat. 3rd person MMO shooter? Has that ever been done before? I'm interested enough to give it a try when it releases.

That was a spambot Zenith, just an FYI if you didn't know. Anyway, I looked into Defiance a bit mor eand it looks pretty neat. 3rd person MMO shooter? Has that ever been done before? I'm interested enough to give it a try when it releases.
wow i'm slipping if I can't tell a spam bot from a poster any more. Yeah it's been done before with the first planet side.

and now with this coming out with this next gen cycle it's this with planet side 2 and Dust the latter 2 and set for pc and next gen playstation possibly. this the only for Xbox so yeah that's it .

Last edited:
Get your mod on by watching Defiance's weapons trailer
(5 minutes ago)
Betas, Sci-fi, Trailers, Video, MMOFPS, Defiance

[YT]bRXhD0KPaY[/YT]

Normally the emphasis on customization in MMOs is on the characters. However, Defiance may tempt you to focus more on that high-powered weapon you're toting around.

Trion Worlds
has just released a new video spotlighting the weapon modification system in its upcoming MMO shooter. While the trailer is more flash than detailed substance, you can see how weapons change in both form and function with the aids of mods.

Trion boasts "thousands of options" in Defiance's arsenal. Watch the video after the jump, check out our hands-on with the title, and let us know if this looks to be up your alley! Continue Reading

Anyone playing the beta? I've played a little bit on the PS3. It's interesting.

I have a buddy that's on the beta and I played it for a bit at his place it is a interesting a ame

I just don't know if what they are doing as a main hook being attached to a tv show is a good idea.

Ok three new videos and an articles in one of them.

Previews

The Multiplayer and Co-op of Defiance

Jose finds out how the solo campaign and the multiplayer in the new game Defiance co-exist in the same online world, which also ties-in with the new Syfy TV series of the same name..

Defiance

Fastest Car Trailer

To get through the battlegrounds in Defiance, you're going to need the fastest car around.
Views: 6,542 | Posted: 03/26/2013

Defiance goodie giveaway: It's dangerous to go alone, take these

(3 hours ago)

Defiance (Welcome to the

Defiance
a sci-fi-themed, persistent-world shooter from Trion Worlds that shares a setting and story with a SyFy series, will be out on April 2 on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. To help give Joystiq reader a greater fighting chance on the battleground, Trion has shared several codes to unlock content in the upcoming game.

Each code unlocks a special piece of gear and can be used by all, once per account. Click the link below to retrieve the special codes, as well as instructions for redeeming them.

source: EPD.TV/ROTR ,GT & Joysitq

Last edited:
I pre-ordered too late to get in on the beta. I am looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.

well while I'll be busy with a nother MMO beta that'll be startin 14 minutes there's a live stream that will be showing on this one

• Live Stream – Defiance

live stream
    on Apr 02, 2013 at 03:10 PM

We're playing the new multiplayer shooter from 4pm to 6pm Central today. Come join us in the chat!
    ... More
source:GI

May be some of you will run into them in the game .

Anybody else get this game? I got home an hour ago and I'm STILL downloading the patches lol.

I got it and I keep getting a "server is down" message when I try and play.

Yea same here, when I finally got in I literally just got through the tutorial and ended up in the actual open world game for maybe one mission before the servers completely crashed and I couldn't get back on. But from what I hear, that's pretty common for new MMOs on opening launch.

I'm sorry to hear that I hope you have been trying to reach their technical services.

this was just put up though

Trion Worlds promises that it's addressing critical Defiance issues

(1 hour ago)
Sci-Fi, Bugs, Launches, MMOFPS, Defiance, Music

Executive Producer Nathan Richardsson has mixed emotions in regards to Defiance's release. "This first day of launch of Defiance has been as awesome as we expected it to be," he wrote in a state of the game post. "And by awesome, I mean we're neck deep addressing all the issues that come up when you scale something up to a million people from a test environment of thousands."

Richardsson promised that the large Trion team is working hard to "update, patch, fix, and improve" Defiance post-launch. The most critical problems that he identifies are connectivity problems, missing pre-order items, the scaling of bosses and arkfalls, and broken chat and VOIP.

"We appreciate the trust that you are showing us by coming with us and we will address all these issues," he concludes.

Speaking of awesome, check out the main theme to Defiance, composed by Bear McCreary, after the jump! Continue Reading

And now for the most important question....will there be a free trial?

It wasn't too bad yesterday, got to play for 3 hours before the servers crashed. Much better than launch day.

I'm not sure, I have it for the xbox.

So, I gave in and bought it...I know it's not perfect. But I am still having a lot of fun and the devs have been very transparent about all their plans to fix and improve things.

Defiance's Richardsson on dev priorities, DLC, and more

(1 hour ago)
Sci-Fi, Game Mechanics, MMO Industry, New Titles, News Items, Dev Diaries, Defiance

Nathan Richardsson is back with another dev diary status update for Trion's newly launched Defiance shooter. The long and short of it is that yes, the team is aware of and working on issues like items disappearing in the salvage matrix, chat issues, and server crashes.

Richardsson also says that the DLC he mentioned in the previous dev diary has now been pushed back to allow more time for bug fixes and post-launch polish. He also lists a loose outline of Trion's dev team priorities. Full cluster crashes get top priority, followed by game server crashes, live gameplay issues, upcoming patches, and DLC.

You can read the full diary at the official Defiance website.

I definitely want to get this game when I can afford it. It seems like an MMO I could finally get behind. I'll probably get the PS3 version since I'm not sure my laptop could handle it. But, to the people who have gotten it, how are you enjoying it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"