Trion Worlds explains how Defiance will 'co-evolve' in two mediums

hmm with the amount of hard drive space it takes up, maybe save for the ps4 if your going to bother with that system. they might even to port it there too. but we'll see. it has to do well at launch too. we'll what happens

I am liking this game more and more! If anyone is interested in joining up and playing through my gamertag is ilikereefers.

hmm with the amount of hard drive space it takes up, maybe save for the ps4 if your going to bother with that system. they might even to port it there too. but we'll see. it has to do well at launch too. we'll what happens

Yeah ok, except I'm not buying a PS4 on launch. And probably won't be getting one for at least a year or more after it is released. Upgrading my PS3 hard-drive is something that I've been needed to do anyway.

And it looks like Defiance doesn't take up that much space anyways.

yeah that's why I said it has to do well at launch too. So you should do what you want. even though I said you may want to save it for the ps4. but that is too long a wait and that thing need it's audience when it launches. Also if trion is ever going to do or finish up that Farscape MMO, they want this to be a hit first.

Video games and TV shows co-evolving? I highly doubt they're going to be able to pull this off. TV shows can work and produce things much faster than video game developers can program. I think at some point the two will diverge and only barely reference the other.

The first season has been in the bag for awhile now. So Trion has time to update the game as the season progresses.

The game and the tv show are set in two completely different areas of the planet, the game is based in San Fransisco and the TV show is based in...I can't remember. Atlanta? I forget lol. But that question was raised how they would keep up with the tv show and how it would not interefere with one another as far as the story lines go. So the game is kind of it's own thing.

The game and the tv show are set in two completely different areas of the planet, the game is based in San Fransisco and the TV show is based in...I can't remember. Atlanta? I forget lol. But that question was raised how they would keep up with the tv show and how it would not interefere with one another as far as the story lines go. So the game is kind of it's own thing.
they did indeed say this they said that some events they will showcase in game , but will be reference in the show and vice versa. But will not be too intrusive on each other besides that. and the main characters will make cameo's in the game . the only concern here is how syfy has a habit of running it's shows. They(the shows) don't have a long life span any more cause of what they do. Some producer get's fickle or the show it's self becomes expensive to run and then the shows dies faster then any one would have expected.

That's the only worrisome problem here.. so I wonder if they have plans in place in case Syfy does their usual bad habit, as far as their shows are involved?

When I first bought the game I was bummed out...I thought I had wasted $60. But based on all the major updates they plan to do this month I feel a lot better about the purchase.

I can't believe that they are going to delete story missions when the show starts to air. That makes no sense for any future new players.

They might bring them back who knows, but they need some story for the MMO it's self. So I don't think it'll be too much of an issue it'll come back in some form or another.

Previews

Julie Benz and Mia Kirshner Talk Defiance

Shaun learns more about the ambitious transmedia project Defiance with stars Julie Benz and Mia Kirshner

and there's

• Defiance

Story Trailer

The planet has changed, billions have died, and war has decimated the land. Discover the sci-fi story behind the game Defiance in this intriguing trailer.
      Views: 1,627 | Posted: 04/16/2013

and in other news.

Defiance gameplay trailer highlights the Ark Hunter story

by (1 hour ago)
Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, New Titles, PvP, News Items, Post-Apocalyptic, Defiance

Last night, the TV half of the multimedia Defiance experience launched, drawing players into the story of the town by the same name. Today, Trion Worlds expanded the narrative of this new world, releasing a new trailer highlighting the life of the Ark Hunters and delving into the events that led to the current state of the world. As Ark Hunters, players of the shooter comb the world to collect valuable Ark technology while facing danger in the partially terraformed lands.

Did you catch the premiere episode of Defiance on TV last night? If so, tell us what you thought in the comments below. And watch the Ark Hunter action in the video after the break.

[Source: EPD.TV/ROTR,GT & Trion Press release ] Continue Reading

More coverage: Defiance official site

Last edited:
Wow, that's insane luck. Congrats

Syfy touts Defiance premiere numbers

(1 hour ago)
Sci-Fi, Culture, MMO Industry, News Items, Defiance, Buy-to-Play

Syfy is patting itself on the back for what was apparently a very successful Defiance series premiere. The new drama debuted last night with a feature-length pilot that set the stage for the series' regular Monday night time slot in the U.S.

Syfy says the premiere was its most-watched scripted show among adults aged 18 to 49 since the 2006 premiere of Eureka. Defiance also drew 2.7 million total viewers, which was good enough for first place over 2009's Warehouse 13.

Trion's Defiance shooter MMO has seen players rack up more than 6 million hours of gameplay since its April 2nd debut.

[Source: Syfy press release]
More coverage: Official site

Last edited:
here's a review for it .

Reviews

Defiance (Xbox 360/PS3)

Jose and Ben prepare for interstellar war in Defiance. ...

Synopsis: Jose and Ben entered the world of Defiance. the game ties into the show and there are cool MMO Elements but the visual are a bit bland and there are the usual MMO glitches.

Ben's score 6.0 Jose's 7.0

Source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Has anyone watched the TV show & if so any good? I'd be interested but is it solely an MMO?

the show's good and it's doing well so far but syfy has this habit of screwing over their shows even if they are high rated and they cancel them faster when you think they are doing well ether cause of it becoming too expensive for t them to continue or the net work producers actin stupid and just making sure the shows cancelled some how. Of most recent the X men like Alpha's is an example of this . I don't Expect the show to run long out of eventually one of those thing's will happen. I hope they have a contingency plan to have the story running through the game some how if syfy does it's usual fickle habit.

Last edited:
News

Get Your Defiance Character in the Show

You can turn one of your video game characters into a TV star, because the two halves of the MMO/TV show Defiance are converging in a cool new way. The Syfy channel and game maker Trion Worlds have launched Defiance Most Wanted, an in-game competition where fans can battle each other for the chance to have their character appear in an upcoming episode.

Source:EPD.TV/ROTR & GI

Last edited:
Watch the plague spread in the newest Defiance trailer

by (39 minutes ago)
Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Events (In-Game), Patches, News Items, Post-Apocalyptic, Defiance, Buy-to-Play

[YT]Sl83x7khonU[/YT]

Last week, players were warned of a plague that was en route to Defiance. This latest cross-over event between the shooter and the television show involves a mysterious illness that is sweeping San Francisco; players must clear out the infected and find a cure to before it spreads to the town of Defiance in the show. And that race to the cure starts today! Want to see what you are up against? Then check out the plague trailer after the cut.

Also available in today's Defiance update are a new data recorder, eight new emergencies, two new pursuits, and an all-new game mode. A limited-time mission series will also be available from June 10th to 17th.

and

• Zombies May Overrun Defiance If You Don't Stop Them

News
    on Jun 03, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    pc-icon.png

Defiance players must find a cure for an infectious outbreak before it spreads uncontrollably across the continent.
    ... More

[Source: Trion Worlds press release & GI ] Continue Reading

More coverage: Defiance official site

Last edited:
Trion offering 72-hour all access Defiance trial for PC users

(53 minutes ago)
Sci-Fi, MMO Industry, News Items, Defiance, Buy-to-Play

So that ultra-cheap Steam sale still wasn't enough to get you to spring for Defiance, eh? Well, fear not because Trion is now offering a free trial of its MMO shooter for PC users.

The trial includes access to the full game but it is time-limited to 72 hours. Don't delay once you've created your account, either, as the clock starts ticking "as soon as users sign up," according to Trion's press release. There's also an EGO rating cap (200). Finally, you'll be able to carry over all your progress, rewards, and store purchases to the full game if you decide to pony up for the client once the trial period ends.

[Source: Trion press release]

First Defiance add-on content launches August 20th [Updated with trailer]

(2 hours ago) Sci-Fi, Expansions, PvP, News Items, PvE, MMOFPS, Post-Apocalyptic, Defiance, MMORPG, Buy-to-Play

Trion Worlds announced today that the Castithan Charge Pack, Defiance's first big content addition, is primed for release. The pack includes a new playable species, new story missions, new weapons, and new game modes, with some content available even for those players who elect not to purchase it.

Free content includes new charge weapons, sieges, a PvP map, duels, and the Monolith Major Arkfall, while the playable Castithan race, a horde mode arena, unique four-passenger truck and new achievements/trophies will be available only to purchasers. Other small tweaks include a new chat window and enhanced map.

The Castithan Charge Pack launches on August 20th for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, and is priced at $9.99/800 Microsoft Points. Season pass owners will receive the add-on as part of their subscription.

If you're curious about this first batch of DLC, be sure to check out our preview from E3 2013. We've also tucked the new trailer behind the break -- thanks to Gaius for that tip!

[Source: Trion Worlds press release] Continue Reading

Trion Worlds to close EU branch

(2 hours ago)
MMO Industry, RIFT, Miscellaneous, Defiance

Only a week after acknowledging the closure of its San Diego office, Trion Worlds has announced in a statement that it will be closing down another office. Trion Europe in Guildford, UK, will be cutting 10 jobs in the process, including branch boss John Burns and communications boss Jon Goddard.

"European localized versions of Trion's live and upcoming games will not be affected as all regional game development and support continues from Redwood City, CA," said the statement.

Last edited:
Here's a trailer for Defiance's first DLC pack

(2 hours ago)
Sci-Fi, Game Mechanics, MMO Industry, Patches, News Items, Defiance, Buy-to-Play

[YT]6wAAmep_XFo[/YT]
You know what today is? Yes, yes it is Tuesday and aren't you clever? But it's also release day for Defiance's first piece of add-on content. The Castithan Charge Pack boasts new story missions, vehicles, customization options, gameplay rewards, and more, according to a Trion press release.

The titular Castithan species is available should you wish to create a new character. Or feel free to change the species of your existing avatar if you'd rather. Trion has also added an instanced single-player horde mode option that ties into the new storyline. If you're playing on consoles, you've also got some new achievements and trophies to hunt.

The Castithan Charge Pack costs $9.99 on PCs and the PlayStation 3. Xbox 360 users will need 800 Microsoft points. Don't forget to check out the trailer after the cut.

[Source: Trion press release]
Continue Reading

More coverage: Official site

Trion offers up unique RIFT/Defiance crossover loot for new buyers

(1 hour ago)
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, News Items, Free-to-Play, Consoles, MMOFPS, RIFT, Promotions, Defiance, MMORPG, Buy-to-Play

Trion Worlds has announced a curious new promo deal for folks who haven't yet picked up a copy of MMO-television hybrid Defiance. Purchasing a physical copy of Defiance now rewards gamers with unique loot in both it and Trion's other big online property, RIFT. Transmedia synergy, anyone?

For a limited time (how limited is not mentioned in the announcement), players who buy a standard or collector's edition boxed copy of Defiance for PC, Xbox 360, or PS3 will receive a Votan Fragger weapon transmog (in Defiance) and a Ghost Hellbug mount (in RIFT). Buyers will also get $5 in RIFT store credits.

It's an interesting strategy designed to pique the curiosity of current RIFT players, and it's not the first time Trion has sent Defiance's creatures into RIFT's fantasy world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"