Twister Reboot ‘Twisters’ | Universal Pictures

According to Wiki, Universal had international distribution, so maybe it was a joint production? As for why, it's a nostalgic property, that's all it takes for Hollywood these days. And with the director and cast, I'll be there Day One :shrug:
It's not THAT nostalgic. Plus, Bill Paxton is dead, so what's the point?

Digital-Digest subtitles said:
1 00:00:09,830 --> 00:00:11,330 Guys, whatever's in there is big
2 00:00:11,330 --> 00:00:12,350 and it's moving fast.
3 00:00:12,350 --> 00:00:13,183 Drive.
4 00:00:15,619 --> 00:00:16,452 Look out!
5 00:00:18,328 --> 00:00:19,603 Guys, you gotta get outta there.
6 00:00:19,603 --> 00:00:21,477 Do you hear me?
7 00:00:34,490 --> 00:00:36,293 That's Tyler Owens.
8 00:00:36,293 --> 00:00:38,570 Calls himself Tornado Wrangler.
9 00:00:38,570 --> 00:00:39,637 If you feel it-
10 00:00:39,637 --> 00:00:41,054 Chase it!
11 00:00:42,104 --> 00:00:43,700 I said if you feel it-
12 00:00:43,700 --> 00:00:44,533 Chase it!
13 00:00:46,429 --> 00:00:48,429 All right, here we go.
14 00:00:53,810 --> 00:00:55,430 Oh, she's perfect.
15 00:00:55,430 --> 00:00:56,543 She's gorgeous.
16 00:00:57,980 --> 00:01:00,830 You thought you could destroy a tornado?
17 00:01:00,830 --> 00:01:02,030 We never had a chance.
18 00:01:04,760 --> 00:01:05,593 You want one?
19 00:01:12,225 --> 00:01:14,392 You don't face your fears...
20 00:01:19,430 --> 00:01:20,263 You ride 'em.
21 00:01:28,700 --> 00:01:30,517 We got twins, twins!
22 00:01:49,220 --> 00:01:50,053 Was that it?
23 00:01:50,960 --> 00:01:51,793 Nope.
This summer, the epic studio disaster movie returns with an adrenaline-pumping, seat-gripping, big-screen thrill ride that puts you in direct contact with one of nature’s most wondrous—and destructive—forces.

From the producers of the Jurassic, Bourne and Indiana Jones series comes Twisters, a current-day chapter of the 1996 blockbuster, Twister. Directed by Lee Isaac Chung, the Oscar-nominated writer-director of Minari, Twisters stars Golden Globe nominee Daisy Edgar-Jones (Where the Crawdads Sing, Normal People) and Glen Powell (Anyone But You, Top Gun: Maverick) as opposing forces who come together to try to predict, and possibly tame, the immense power of tornadoes.

Edgar-Jones stars as Kate Cooper, a former storm chaser haunted by a devastating encounter with a tornado during her college years who now studies storm patterns on screens safely in New York City. She is lured back to the open plains by her friend, Javi to test aground breaking new tracking system. There, she crosses paths with Tyler Owens (Powell),the charming and reckless social-media superstar who thrives on posting his storm-chasing adventures with his raucous crew, the more dangerous the better.

As storm season intensifies, terrifying phenomena never seen before are unleashed, and Kate, Tyler and their competing teams find themselves squarely in the paths of multiple storm systems converging over central Oklahoma in the fight of their lives.

Twisters also stars Golden Globe nominee Anthony Ramos (In the Heights) as Javi, alongside David Corenswet (upcoming Superman: Legacy), and features an exciting new cast, including Nope’s Brandon Perea, Sasha Lane (American Honey), Daryl McCormack (Peaky Blinders), Kiernan Shipka (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina), Nik Dodani (Atypical) and Golden Globe winner Maura Tierney (Beautiful Boy).

From Amblin Entertainment, Twisters is produced by Oscar nominee Frank Marshall(Jurassic and Indiana Jones franchises) and Patrick Crowley (Jurassic and Bourne franchises).The screenplay is by Mark L. Smith, writer of the Best Picture nominee The Revenant. Twisters will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures internationally and by Universal Pictures in North America.

Last edited:
This actually looks better than I thought it would, especially the CGI on the tornadoes. I was honestly expecting the worse, but I do like how it looks and feels very similar to the OG film.

One minute into the trailer, you see Dorothy V. In the first movie, Dorothy IV is the final one to go into the tornado at the end of the movie.

It's an obvious requel despite protestations by those involved previously. Before they were avoiding connecting it to the original, but the synopsis alludes otherwise 'a current-day chapter of the 1996 blockbuster, Twister.'

You’re also going to star in an update to the 1996 classic Twister next year. It’s not a sequel, exactly, is it?
We just wrapped it a couple nights ago. It’s definitely not a reboot. We’re not trying to recreate the story from the first one. It’s a completely original story. There are no characters from the original movie back, so it’s not really a continuation. It’s just its own standalone story in the modern-day. I don’t think anyone has brought up this movie in forever, but talking to people, they’re like, “That was one of my favorite movies growing up. That movie terrified me.” When I was working on Top Gun, [Tom] Cruise brought up a really interesting thing, where he’s like, “If you want to make movies of a certain size and scope and scale, you have to figure out what can connect with everyone around the world in every territory.” And humans versus weather is a very universal idea—how powerless we really are in the face of these cataclysmic forces.

[Twisters writer Mark L. Smith:] "It's a lot of fun. It was something that [former Twister 2 director that left the project] Joe Kosinski and I came up with. Joe reached out, he had this great idea to get back into the Twister world, and so he sent me the pitch, and it was fun. We kind of beat it out and then went to Steven Spielberg and Frank Marshall [the original executive producers on Twister], and then they signed off. Universal signed off. So I wrote it, and it was all set and Spielberg was ready to go, and he was excited, and it was gonna be Joe."
[Mark L. Smith:] "It's a lot of fun. [Twisters director Lee Isaac Chung] did his own thing to the script a little bit because that's what they do, so I don't know about some of the changes exactly. So, I don’t know the details, but it's a separate story. It's not a continuation of the original. But it's just a real wild ride with some good, fun characters. Hopefully, we can tap into what the original had because that thing is just iconic. But it's so cool to have a director like Isaac taking on something like this. It's just so out of his norm, and I think he's having fun. I was texting with him a couple days ago, and it's just all craziness of it."
[Mark L. Smith:] "[Connecting Twister 2 to the previous movie] was something that we had talked about and as we were writing it was like, 'Oh, this would be a great moment if we wanted to add another element to it.' But Joe had always kind of envisioned it as a standalone, that it wasn't connected, and probably some of that was because after Top Gun it was like, 'Okay, now let me have my original rather than just hitching on to the next.'”

Last edited:
Oh, for sure they’re hiding a Helen Hunt cameo or something.

Oh, for sure they’re hiding a Helen Hunt cameo or something.

I don’t think they’re hiding a cameo. When they were gearing up to start filming, they had two drafts: one with Helen’s character in it and one without. And either she didn’t want to do it or they couldn’t fit her in the schedule, so they went with the latter.

I’m rooting for Chung and the cast, but it just feels like deja vu.

It's tabloid but...potential story spoilers.

“Far from directing the follow-up, Helen was also told she was not even being offered the chance to reprise her role as her character Dr. Jo is to be ‘killed off’ in the new version without ever appearing on screen.”

I seem to also remember Hunt commenting on something similar in an interview where she said her character could still be killed off after her initial pitch for the movie was rejected.

Found it:

When Cohen suggested the character might die in a tornado in the opening segment of the sequel, the actor quipped, “That’s for sure what I would do.”

And I said before about 8 months ago here,

Twisters sequel Forecast For Spring Start Universal, Amblin Finalizing Director For Sequel – Deadline (October 2022)
Sources said that the hope is to bring Helen Hunt back, with a drama that focuses on the daughter she had with the character played by the late Bill Paxton. She has caught the storm-chasing bug her parents had.

Twisters Casts Daisy Edgar-Jones – The Hollywood Reporter

She's about the correct age, I don't know if they're doing some mystery box **** for whatever reason or changed direction. You know, calling your movie Twisters implies that it is a sequel, like Alien to Aliens.

Edgar-Jones has the look for such a role. But they are listing her character's name as 'Kate Cooper' not 'Harding'.

daisyedgartwisters.jpg
Daisy Edgar Jones as Kate Cooper in Twisters

Helen-Hunt-and-Bill-Paxton-in-Twister.jpg

Helen Hunt as Jo Harding and Bill Paxton as Bill Harding in Twister

Last edited:

I seem to also remember Hunt commenting on something similar in an interview where she said her character could still be killed off after her initial pitch for the movie was rejected.

Fount it:

Edgar-Jones has the look for such a role. But they are listing her character's name as 'Kate Cooper' not 'Harding'.

View attachment 79881

I can kinda see where Helen Hunt is coming from, but the cast IS diverse. And I thought she would’ve considered doing it to just to work with Lee-Issac Chung.

Fount it:

View attachment 79881

Helen Hunt as Jo Harding and Bill Paxton as Bill Harding in Twister

Heh, I can see a twist (pun intended) with a reveal of her actual last name being Harding which she changed to Cooper cause… reasons lol

Looks good.

Maybe Glen Powell is playing the son of Cary Elwes' character.

So how is this connected to the original? Besides the storm tracking machines?

One minute into the trailer, you see Dorothy V. In the first movie, Dorothy IV is the final one to go into the tornado at the end of the movie.

DorthyV_1.jpg

DorthyV_2.jpg

That may be Kiernan Shipka's character. We see a character running with the same clothes on near the beginning of the trailer along with Edgar-Jones's character and two others.

I guess it's like with the newer Ghostbusters legasequels / requels brings old equipment back.

Last edited:
So how is this connected to the original? Besides the storm tracking machines?

Oklahoma is the setting. Same as the original.

synopsis said:
[Out of her desk job in New York City, Kate] is lured back to the open plains [of Oklahoma] by her friend, Javi (Golden Globe nominee Anthony Ramos, In the Heights) to test a groundbreaking new tracking system.
As storm season intensifies, terrifying phenomena never seen before are unleashed, and Kate, Tyler and their competing teams find themselves squarely in the paths of multiple storm systems converging over central Oklahoma in the fight of their lives.

For anything else, see my potential spoilers post above.

Last edited:
"What was essential to me was that it always felt like in that first movie, which didn't necessarily feel like a disaster movie," Chung says of what he considered essential to make his new movie feel related to Twister. "To me, it felt like an adventure movie, and I always loved how that movie inspired a generation of meteorologists and people who were interested in science and weather just because it made that study feel like it was an adventure. That's something that I wanted to retain with this one."
Edgar-Jones promises "loads of nods to the original," and was thrilled to work with many of the same consultants who served on the 1996 film and would share stories of shooting with that all-star cast. But she also believes Twisters "really feels like a new chapter in a really brilliant way. There's new technology, there's new ways to understand these crazy weather systems and tornadoes — so we're bringing it up to date with what the state of the world is now."
The trailer sets Tyler up as an adversary of sorts who comes around to work with Edgar-Jones' Kate, whom the actress says has an "incredible arc. I love her fierceness and her depth."
"Lee Isaac Chung is one of the best filmmakers to really guide the emotional storyline of this movie and the way that he's adapted to the scale of this without losing any of that emotion, I think it's incredibly impressive."
Twisters-020824-3-7b7d390ff0844fcba111bb50de37229e.jpg

"Daisy Edgar-Jones in 'Twisters'. PHOTO: LEE ISAAC CHUNG"

Last edited:
Looks very much like the first one, which is great for me! Is gonna be a fun double feature for a stormy night.

Anyone else think of this when they showed the twin tornadoes?

IMG_7162.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"