Superman Returns Ugh! Watched STM then SR....

I think its made clear throughout the movie why he went to Krypton "I...thought......hoped.....it might still be there." The desperation in his voice and dissapointment at the outcome of the mission showed to me he was desperate to find Krypton still there.

Also "......but when astronomers thought they'd found it.....I HAD to see for myself." He had to see if it was still there, doesnt that sound like someone desperate to find others like him.

It comes off more to me as just trying to find the survivors, where he came from, but not becasue he feels totally alone in the universe, but just that there might be hope that there are survivors to help and perhaps rescue, because that's what he does. And if there are Kryptonian survivors, being a Kryptonian himself, he would feel responsible for helping them if he could.
As for the rest of the paragraph i thought Singer did a great job with this movie.

There is plenty of evidence of him feeling like an outsider to me:

The unconvincing way he says "I know" and the look he gives after Martha tells him "..even if you are the last....your not alone."

I can see this line, but that's the only one.
His eagerness to see Lois as soon as he returns to Metropolis

His gutted reaction to finding out Lois is heavily involved with someone and has a child (that he assumes isnt his).

His initial hesitancy to return as Superman when the plane/shuttle malfunctions on the news.

His desperation to explain to Lois and the world his reasons for leaving and not saying goodbye.

His smiling but obviously sad face when he observes a normal family life (admittedly at Lois' house).

These all seems like they are concerned with Lois and missing her and wanting to be with HER and not a general loneliness of being the last Kryptonian.

I don't know what you mean by hesitancy in rescuing the shuttle. It's not like he waited and downed a couple of more beers. He was out the door as soon as Jimmy turned his head.

His totally confused, then completely angry face when he realises that Jor-El's crystals are gone from the fortress and his father is possibly lost forever.

That seems more to do with losing his connection with his father and his fortress being violated and not generall loneliness t, but rather specifically directed to his father and lack of security and safety at his own place.
And most of all, his complete and utter joy at finding out Jason is his son and his immediate eagerness to see him.

I don't see that a joyful scene. He's realizing the reality of having a son he can't raise as his own and delivers the same bitter sweet Jor-El gave him. There is sadness tinged with a bit of hope, but I don't see any outright joy. Addtitionally, anyone would react with the urgency to see their child in that situation whether or not the were the last of their race or not. It is a natural reaction to being a parent and not specific to 'finding someone else like you.'
Also, the sort of thankyou look he gives Lois right at the end.

Thank you for...? Putting up with my irresponsiblity and calous behavior 5 years ago when I left? Raising my child that I can't becasue I was a jerk? Giving my son a good father, becasue I can't be one? Forgiving me? All that? He certainly hasn't won her back as a lover.

It's another bitter sweet moment, if she realizes that she does love him, but because of her responsibilities as a mother, she can't be with him beacsue Jason needs a father who will be an everyday father that IS always around.

No two people grow up the same, but no two people have super powers do they? Also people can grow up in similar circumstances and find a connection through that.

Pehaps Lois as an army brat moving around all the time grew up lonely and isolated too, and she and Superman had THAT connection.

It comes off more to me as just trying to find the survivors, where he came from, but not becasue he feels totally alone in the universe, but just that there might be hope that there are survivors to help and perhaps rescue, because that's what he does. And if there are Kryptonian survivors, being a Kryptonian himself, he would feel responsible for helping them if he could.

IMO, it came off as BOTH that and a need to find others like him

These all seems like they are concerned with Lois and missing her and wanting to be with HER and not a general loneliness of being the last Kryptonian.

Well it is mostly to do with Lois because she was the only human with which he ever had a close connection with. But to me he was sort of lonely before that, hence why seemed to leave immediatly for Krypton.

Think about it, he goes to Krypton to find others like him (partly IMO at least), he DOESNT, he realises HE IS THE LAST (so far as we know then), so he is feeling more lonely now than EVER before. By not going to Krypton previously, there always would have been the thoughts in the back of his mind that ther COULD be people out there like him. Now that he knows for sure that he is last, it is natural he will feel even more lonely and it is natural that he will be SO desperate to get back with Lois. He is stupid for thinking she'd just wait for him, but by the end of the movie IMO, he has realised that mistake.

I don't know what you mean by hesitancy in rescuing the shuttle. It's not like he waited and downed a couple of more beers. He was out the door as soon as Jimmy turned his head.

Just watch the scene again, as the initial news report comes on the T.V, Clark looks down and closes his eyes, as if to say 'I didnt want to come back as Superman yet.'

That seems more to do with losing his connection with his father and his fortress being violated and not generall loneliness t, but rather specifically directed to his father and lack of security and safety at his own place.

Exactly, so at that point he is even MORE lonely.

I don't see that a joyful scene. He's realizing the reality of having a son he can't raise as his own and delivers the same bitter sweet Jor-El gave him. There is sadness tinged with a bit of hope, but I don't see any outright joy. Addtitionally, anyone would react with the urgency to see their child in that situation whether or not the were the last of their race or not. It is a natural reaction to being a parent and not specific to 'finding someone else like you.'

Then once again we interpreted the movie differently, because in that scene, when Superman bends down, i see complete and utter joy and pride on his face.

Thank you for...? Putting up with my irresponsiblity and calous behavior 5 years ago when I left? Raising my child that I can't becasue I was a jerk? Giving my son a good father, becasue I can't be one? Forgiving me? All that? He certainly hasn't won her back as a lover.

It's another bitter sweet moment, if she realizes that she does love him, but because of her responsibilities as a mother, she can't be with him beacsue Jason needs a father who will be an everyday father that IS always around.

Thankyou for telling me i have a son. Think about it, for the forseeable future, Lois will not be his, BUT he now has someone he will have an even closer connection to, his very own son.

Pehaps Lois as an army brat moving around all the time grew up lonely and isolated too, and she and Superman had THAT connection.

Maybe, but as far as i know, that wasnt dealt with even in the Donner movies, so its not an issue here.

IMO, it came off as BOTH that and a need to find others like him

I might be able to buy both, but I don't think it is portrayed that strongly.

Well it is mostly to do with Lois because she was the only human with which he ever had a close connection with. But to me he was sort of lonely before that, hence why seemed to leave immediatly for Krypton.

How could you know if he was lonely before that? That part is not covered in the movie. It starts after he's left. You don't know anything about what happened before he left b/c it's not in the movie.

Think about it, he goes to Krypton to find others like him (partly IMO at least), he DOESNT, he realises HE IS THE LAST (so far as we know then), so he is feeling more lonely now than EVER before. By not going to Krypton previously, there always would have been the thoughts in the back of his mind that ther COULD be people out there like him. Now that he knows for sure that he is last, it is natural he will feel even more lonely and it is natural that he will be SO desperate to get back with Lois. He is stupid for thinking she'd just wait for him, but by the end of the movie IMO, he has realised that mistake.

Wouldn't he think he was the last b/c Jor-El told him? Wouldn't he have already sort of dealt with that loneliness issue when he first learned his heritage for Jor-El. Moved on enough to have been involved with Lois and not wrapped up in pity party.

It would seem that this trip would confirm what he already knew and was not a revelation, that, gosh, there really aren't any survivors, guess Jor-El was right after all.

Just watch the scene again, as the initial news report comes on the T.V, Clark looks down and closes his eyes, as if to say 'I didnt want to come back as Superman yet.'

Well, I'm not going to watch it again, I'll take your word for your description of the action, but it seems like I took it as he was just so wrapped up in his own thoughts that the news on the TV took a minute to sink in, not that he was dreading going out in public as SUperman.

Why would he not want to come back as SUperman yet? B/c of the "Why the World Doesn't Need A Superman" article? I can see that, but it's not sufficient for me to think that the world doesn't want him back, especially when he is treated to a rousing ovation after saving the plane.

Exactly, so at that point he is even MORE lonely.

Well like I said, I took it as more of a violation of his personal space and loss of his connection to his dad.

Then once again we interpreted the movie differently, because in that scene, when Superman bends down, i see complete and utter joy and pride on his face.

Yeah, there are so many issues there I just couldn't see utter joy. I saw awe at realizing that he had a son, but the bigger picture concerning the way in which Jason was conceived, born and raised w/o SUperman overshadow the utter joy that should be there when you first become a parent. He's already missed so much, I think he was realizing that.

Why echo Jor-El's bittersweet, tragic speech if cinematically you are going for something else, complete and utter joy?

Thankyou for telling me i have a son.

I can see him thanking her for being honest with him. It's ironic that she could be honest with him, but he couldn't be honest with her before he left.

Think about it, for the forseeable future, Lois will not be his, BUT he now has someone he will have an even closer connection to, his very own son.

A son he is not raising. A son who believes someone else to be his father, and a son he probably won't see a lot of. I know we've argued this point in a different thread, but I just don't see how one can feel that connected to a son that he is not raising as his own. Jason's not going to know that SUperman is his father, realistically at least. Jason's going to have Richard as a father and Superman will only really end up mattering in his life when he's old enough to understand how such a bizarre situation could have occured. I thought it was an underplayed acknowledgement of just how bad a mistake that Superman made. Becasue he left w/o being honest w/ Lois, he also misses the opportunity to raise his own son and be an everyday father to him. That is how I see that it SHOULD be played at least if you are trying to send the right message about responsibility. By under emphasizing it, however, it really comes of as giving an unintended message that what Superman was OK. Which it isn't by the way.

Maybe, but as far as i know, that wasnt dealt with even in the Donner movies, so its not an issue here.

True, but there are a lot of blanks to fill in with the context of SR, so I thought I'd just add something that I consider to be part of Lois's background that would strengthen their connection.

How could you know if he was lonely before that? That part is not covered in the movie. It starts after he's left. You don't know anything about what happened before he left b/c it's not in the movie.

Wouldn't he think he was the last b/c Jor-El told him? Wouldn't he have already sort of dealt with that loneliness issue when he first learned his heritage for Jor-El. Moved on enough to have been involved with Lois and not wrapped up in pity party.

It would seem that this trip would confirm what he already knew and was not a revelation, that, gosh, there really aren't any survivors, guess Jor-El was right after all.

Well, I'm not going to watch it again, I'll take your word for your description of the action, but it seems like I took it as he was just so wrapped up in his own thoughts that the news on the TV took a minute to sink in, not that he was dreading going out in public as SUperman.

Why would he not want to come back as SUperman yet? B/c of the "Why the World Doesn't Need A Superman" article? I can see that, but it's not sufficient for me to think that the world doesn't want him back, especially when he is treated to a rousing ovation after saving the plane.

Well like I said, I took it as more of a violation of his personal space and loss of his connection to his dad.

Yeah, there are so many issues there I just couldn't see utter joy. I saw awe at realizing that he had a son, but the bigger picture concerning the way in which Jason was conceived, born and raised w/o SUperman overshadow the utter joy that should be there when you first become a parent. He's already missed so much, I think he was realizing that.

Why echo Jor-El's bittersweet, tragic speech if cinematically you are going for something else, complete and utter joy?

I can see him thanking her for being honest with him. It's ironic that she could be honest with him, but he couldn't be honest with her before he left.

A son he is not raising. A son who believes someone else to be his father, and a son he probably won't see a lot of. I know we've argued this point in a different thread, but I just don't see how one can feel that connected to a son that they are not raising as their own. Jason's not going to know that SUperman is his father, realistically at least. Jason's going to have Richard as a father and Superman will only really end up mattering in his life when he's old enough to understand how such a bizarre situation could have occured.

Maybe, but as far as i know, that wasnt dealt with even in the Donner movies, so its not an issue here.[/quote]

True, but there are a lot of blanks to fill in with the context of SR, so I thought I'd just add something that I consider to be part of Lois's background that would strengthen their connection.[/QUOTE]

It is surely a creative fiasco the likes of which there are not a lot of equals to.

I thought it was made obvious.

It was made obvious to me when Superman is remembering what Jor-El told him about not being 'one of them' while flying away from Lois' house.

Not really, because after Jor-El told him, Zod and co turned up on earth, so how is Superman to know there arent more Kryptonians out there. How is he to know that someone else may have put their Kryptonian baby in a rocket ship and sent him/her awat only for them to return. He just doesnt know until he goes back.

He just didnt seem to want to come back as Superman at that point for a few reasons IMO, the article is one, finding out Lois' situation could be another, and because of the failed Krypton mission he was feeling incredibly down. Plus the fact that he had only just returned and would have been a bit rusty.

Well it was both that and the fact that he has now lost his only connection to his homeworld (or so he thinks at that point)

Well everytime i watch the scene i see complete and utter joy, and i've watched the movie about 25-30 times now.

Well yes he thanks her for telling him, she could have easily kept that a secret to protect herself and Jason.

A son he is not raising. A son who believes someone else to be his father, and a son he probably won't see a lot of. I know we've argued this point in a different thread, but I just don't see how one can feel that connected to a son that he is not raising as his own. Jason's not going to know that SUperman is his father, realistically at least. Jason's going to have Richard as a father and Superman will only really end up mattering in his life when he's old enough to understand how such a bizarre situation could have occured. I thought it was an underplayed acknowledgement of just how bad a mistake that Superman made. Becasue he left w/o being honest w/ Lois, he also misses the opportunity to raise his own son and be an everyday father to him. That is how I see that it SHOULD be played at least if you are trying to send the right message about responsibility. By under emphasizing it, however, it really comes of as giving an unintended message that what Superman was OK. Which it isn't by the way.

Do you not think Jason realises that him and Superman have a connection, did you not see the confused and longing stare he gave Superman outside of the plane after he rescued them from the yacht. Do you not think as Jason grows up and gains more powers he will not realise the similarity between them?

True, but there are a lot of blanks to fill in with the context of SR, so I thought I'd just add something that I consider to be part of Lois's background that would strengthen their connection.

There arent that many IMO, it had been years since i saw the Donner movies, (because i dont like them to be honest) and i managed to fill all the blanks in when watching SR for the first time.

I thought it was made obvious.

It was made obvious to me when Superman is remembering what Jor-El told him about not being 'one of them' while flying away from Lois' house.

Not really, because after Jor-El told him, Zod and co turned up on earth, so how is Superman to know there arent more Kryptonians out there. How is he to know that someone else may have put their Kryptonian baby in a rocket ship and sent him/her awat only for them to return. He just doesnt know until he goes back.

See, that's the thing. Are Zod and Co. in continuity for SR? I don't think that is clear. They could be, but there's no hard evidence to show either way. Even if Zod is in continuity, Jor-El told him about Zod, so that would not have been a surprise that Zod was out there, just a surprise that he was on the Earth.

I don't think it's clear whether or not Zod is in continuity.

He just didnt seem to want to come back as Superman at that point for a few reasons IMO, the article is one, finding out Lois' situation could be another, and because of the failed Krypton mission he was feeling incredibly down. Plus the fact that he had only just returned and would have been a bit rusty.

Way too much going on here. It's Superman. If we are supposed to think he's hesitant about going into action, it should be crystal clear. That's what you got, but I don't think everyone else did. Perhaps watching the thing 30 times has helped you discern that. But it should be clear upon first viewing. That would be a pretty important element to pick up on.

Well it was both that and the fact that he has now lost his only connection to his homeworld (or so he thinks at that point)

Well everytime i watch the scene i see complete and utter joy, and i've watched the movie about 25-30 times now.

I guess by not being clear, SInger allows for different interpretations based on what the viewer values and considers important. That's the big difference I'm getting on why we might interpret that scene so differently.

Well yes he thanks her for telling him, she could have easily kept that a secret to protect herself and Jason.

Do you not think Jason realises that him and Superman have a connection, did you not see the confused and longing stare he gave Superman outside of the plane after he rescued them from the yacht. Do you not think as Jason grows up and gains more powers he will not realise the similarity between them?

The kid's not even 5 years old. I don't think he has much of a clue about anything concerning a connection to Superman. He KNOWS Richard is his father, b/c that's all a 4 year old kid could possibly know. He knows Lois is his mother. He knows he likes Superman, but I don't think he has a sense of connection to Superman different than any child's infatuation or attraction (not in a sexual way) to Superman. If Superman rescued any child that child would feel special and somehow connected. Little kids have no idea how babies are concieved and at under 5 years old, it's not going to even occur to him that Richard might not be his father. At that age, your father is the male in your house that raises you and you call dad. You don't have any biological concepts. If there is supposed to be something else going on, it's completely unrealistic and would need some real fleshing out to be perceived in the movie. I think you're kidding yourself if you think that a 4 year old would really be able to figure out some sort of connection like that.

The confused and longing stare I just took as the awe of seeing Superman up close in action and from going from hurt and vulnerable right back into the thick of it.

There arent that many IMO, it had been years since i saw the Donner movies, (because i dont like them to be honest) and i managed to fill all the blanks in when watching SR for the first time.

Well, in your opinion, what was the context for Superman and Lois's relationship before he left her high and dry?

Is the amnesia kiss part of he movie continuity? Remember, Singer himself said he ignored that part. If he ignored that part what else did he ignore?

Does Lois remember having sex with Superman?

Why does Lois move on so quickly if she' in love with Superman?

If she's really moved on, why is she still so angry at him?

If she hasn't really moved on, why did she have sex with Richard so soon after SUperman leaves that Jason's paternity is confused?

The context of SUperman and Lois's relationship is critical for EVERYTHING that SUperman and Lois do for the rest of the movie, so let's start there.

See, that's the thing. Are Zod and Co. in continuity for SR? I don't think that is clear. They could be, but there's no hard evidence to show either way. Even if Zod is in continuity, Jor-El told him about Zod, so that would not have been a surprise that Zod was out there, just a surprise that he was on the Earth.

I don't think it's clear whether or not Zod is in continuity.

To be honest, no its not clear but even so, Jor-El could have been wrong about the destruction of Krypton, so the astronomers supposedly finding Krypton will have thrown doubt into his mind about that.

Way too much going on here. It's Superman. If we are supposed to think he's hesitant about going into action, it should be crystal clear. That's what you got, but I don't think everyone else did. Perhaps watching the thing 30 times has helped you discern that. But it should be clear upon first viewing. That would be a pretty important element to pick up on.

I picked up Superman's hesitancy about returning on 1st viewing MJ, it was obvious to me. I noticed it straight away , it was completely obvious to me.

I guess by not being clear, SInger allows for different interpretations based on what the viewer values and considers important. That's the big difference I'm getting on why we might interpret that scene so differently.

I thought most things were clear in the movie, when was the last time you watched it, August? Maybe you just need to watch it again, by not enjoying it at the cinema, you have a missed a few things, it happens, i myself dont fully concentrate on something i'm not enjoying.

The kid's not even 5 years old. I don't think he has much of a clue about anything concerning a connection to Superman. He KNOWS Richard is his father, b/c that's all a 4 year old kid could possibly know. He knows Lois is his mother. He knows he likes Superman, but I don't think he has a sense of connection to Superman different than any child's infatuation or attraction (not in a sexual way) to Superman. If Superman rescued any child that child would feel special and somehow connected. Little kids have no idea how babies are concieved and at under 5 years old, it's not going to even occur to him that Richard might not be his father. At that age, your father is the male in your house that raises you and you call dad. You don't have any biological concepts. If there is supposed to be something else going on, it's completely unrealistic and would need some real fleshing out to be perceived in the movie. I think you're kidding yourself if you think that a 4 year old would really be able to figure out some sort of connection like that.

Children are perceptive, and he was a smart kid, its said earlier in the movie he gets a A in Science. Do you not also think that Richard will recognise that Jason doesnt need his medicine's anymore. And as Jason grows up he start to notice the similarities.

The confused and longing stare I just took as the awe of seeing Superman up close in action and from going from hurt and vulnerable right back into the thick of it.

It definately was NOT awe on his face, that was the look he gave at the end of the movie when Superman flew away from their house. The look outside the plane was confusion, longing and recognition.

Well, in your opinion, what was the context for Superman and Lois's relationship before he left her high and dry?

Is the amnesia kiss part of he movie continuity? Remember, Singer himself said he ignored that part. If he ignored that part what else did he ignore?

Does Lois remember having sex with Superman?

Why does Lois move on so quickly if she' in love with Superman?

If she's really moved on, why is she still so angry at him?

If she hasn't really moved on, why did she have sex with Richard so soon after SUperman leaves that Jason's paternity is confused?

The context of SUperman and Lois's relationship is critical for EVERYTHING that SUperman and Lois do for the rest of the movie, so let's start there.

Well we both know the amnesia kiss wasnt part of the movie. I think Lois and Superman had a relationship, she remembers that relationship. She had sex with Richard soon after Superman left for Krypton and she obviously hasnt moved on from Superman, at least throughout most of the movie. though i think she loves both Richard AND Superman for different reasons.

To be honest, no its not clear but even so, Jor-El could have been wrong about the destruction of Krypton, so the astronomers supposedly finding Krypton will have thrown doubt into his mind about that.

I think this is a good example of Singer deciding not to explain or set up the situation well enough to make a movie that clearer in it's presentation of certain facts that end up characterizing Superman in a bad light. Remember, my point was that there were things from SII that just aren't in continuity and things from STM. If you're going to make a pseudo-sequel you have to tell the audience enough to know what's going on since you're picking up the story in the middle.

I picked up Superman's hesitancy about returning on 1st viewing MJ, it was obvious to me. I noticed it straight away , it was completely obvious to me.

For me that type of scene in a Superman story is more about him needing a moments hesistation to make an excuse to leave and that was what the pause was for. Additionally, in the context of the film, he was pretty engrossed in his own self pity and it seemed to me like it took a minute for it to sink in. That's what I got. If he was supposed to be hesitating, I don't think it came off that way clearly to everyone. There are other things that could be construed. I didn't get hesitation because he didn't want to appear as Superman. If he wast really ready to jump back into being Superman, why did he have his costume on under his clothes? If he had to get back to his appartment and change that would have made a stronger statement about him being hesitant to be Superman.

I thought most things were clear in the movie, when was the last time you watched it, August? Maybe you just need to watch it again, by not enjoying it at the cinema, you have a missed a few things, it happens, i myself dont fully concentrate on something i'm not enjoying.

I've only seen it once on the day it came out, June 27 or whatever. I may have missed a few things, but I don't think that if I do catch them and have the same reading of them as you it will change my opinion of the film.

Children are perceptive, and he was a smart kid, its said earlier in the movie he gets a A in Science. Do you not also think that Richard will recognise that Jason doesnt need his medicine's anymore. And as Jason grows up he start to notice the similarities.

Children are perceptive, but I also know that he's only just a few months over 4 years of age. At that age you don't have a concept as anyone but your parents as your parents. Connections come from your parents explaining your relations, grandparents, aunts, uncles. THere isn't some intuitive 'connection' that kids sense. Kid's take time to warm up to and learn who their grandparents and other relatives are, especially when they are young.

As far as getting an A in science, that's probably one of the most far fetched things in the movie. Pre-schoolers don't take science. THey don't have grades. My oldest daughter is in the third grade and they only have Good, Very Good, Satisfactory and Needs Improvement. I don't think SInger is really familiar with children or pregnancy.

Sure, Richard will notice that Jason no longer needs his medicine. But what point are you making here? I think it was certainly suggested that Richard suspects that Superman is really Jason's father when he agrees to drive Lois and Jason to the hospital. And yes, as Jason grows up he will notice the similarities. But not at 4 years old. I think I said that in another post. He will notice similarities. He'll start to wonder what's going on and why he seems to exhibit similar powers to Superman. When he's old enough to understand about conception, pregnancy and childbirth, he will figure it out. Most likely, when he starts to question Lois and Richard about the similarities, it will probably lead to a discussion about sex and pregnancy sooner than they would have liked to discuss the matter. THen Lois and Richard will have to tell him. The first thing he's going to say though isn't "Cool, Superman's my dad." He's going to be hurt, confused and angry about why Superman hasn't been a father to him. He's already emotionally identified Richard as his dad and no matter what, Superman will never be able to replace Richard. He's going to have a stronger connection to Richard becasue of all the time and love that they've shared. It will take awhile, realistically, for Jason to come to terms with the reality of the situation: SUperman got his mom pregnant and wasn't around for the first 4 years of his life at all and then has only been on the perimeter of his life since then.

It definately was NOT awe on his face, that was the look he gave at the end of the movie when Superman flew away from their house. The look outside the plane was confusion, longing and recognition.

I don't think it's possible for a 4 year old to be that perceptive in such a stressful and scary situation. Confusion and fear, yes. Recognition is unrealistic.

If you see recognition and longing then that's fine, but it's just not realistic for a 4 year old.

Well we both know the amnesia kiss wasnt part of the movie. I think Lois and Superman had a relationship, she remembers that relationship. She had sex with Richard soon after Superman left for Krypton and she obviously hasnt moved on from Superman, at least throughout most of the movie. though i think she loves both Richard AND Superman for different reasons.

Well, I agree with all that. However, I think what is unclear is the context of these events.

1. The Superman/ Lois relationship- what kind of relationship were they in?
2. How did Lois move on to Richard so quickly as to think that Jason was Richard's son. We're talking a period of less than 2 weeks for paternity to be an issue. When you're pregnant, they do an ultra-sound to determine gestational age. Establishing gestational age is necessary to predict the due date. It is possible to pinpoint the day of conception down to around a few day range. If you keep track of things, the couple can figure out the EXACT day. So, why would Lois say Jason was born pre-mature? Well, the intention is to show that she believes that Richard is Jason's father based on when they had sex. An ultrasound would have pinpointed gestational age specifically enough, that Jason would not have appeared to have been born pre-mature though. This would have brought up the questions of paternity for Richard and Lois before Jason was even born. If Richard had sex with Lois within a 2 week period after Superman did, then paternity could be a question. But Jason would not have been perceived to be pre-mature.

The other part of this is why did Lois move on so quickly from the man she loved when it could not have possibly been clear that Superman was going to be gone for an extended period of time. The context is unclear. It just doesn't sit well to say, 'well, sometime people hook up and have sex.' OK, some people do, but are they responsible adults? Are Lois and Richard this kind of person? Rarely does this lead to an extended relationship and espousal. So, what happened? So, without a context it is less believable. There is a story there, something specific happened. The details are important. Leaving them out is just laziness b/c SInger doesn't want to tell that part of the story, or he doesn't understand the imprtance of these facts to understanding the characters and their motivations. It also treat sex too casually.

3. So, what have SUperman and Lois decided about hanling Jason? Do they have an agreement? How will Superman be involved in Jason's life? DOesn't Superman wonder how come Lois was having sex with some other guy at almost the same time he and Lois were intimate?

I think it is clear that Lois has not moved on from Superman, but she is making the decision to stay with Richard by determining what's best for her son. I think that she does love Richard, but I also think that he decision is not about whom she loves, but what is best for her son. I also think there is a subtext that indicates her feeling for Superman might be based more on infatuation and physical attraction than a true deep love.

and, we must also remember the creepy fact that Lois still doesn't know Superman is Clark Kent....y'know......the goofball she works with every day......

Superman sure got himself in a royal mess, didn't he???

and, we must also remember the creepy fact that Lois still doesn't know Superman is Clark Kent....y'know......the goofball she works with every day......

Superman sure got himself in a royal mess, didn't he???

Really creepy. It just screams abuse of power and manipulation. It also makes you wonder SUperman could continue the deception when he is supposed to love her so much.

It is just another example of Superman being immature, irresponsible and selfish. Those are 3 words I don't consider proper characterization of Superman.

When she finds out she's going to be really pissed.

Really creepy. It just screams abuse of power and manipulation. It also makes you wonder SUperman could continue the deception when he is supposed to love her so much.

It is just another example of Superman being immature, irresponsible and selfish. Those are 3 words I don't consider proper characterization of Superman.

When she finds out she's going to be really pissed.

Funny how this happened in both the Donner movies AND the early comics yet you dont complain about that.

well, i don't know about the early comics ( as I'm not much of a comic reader ).......

but, in the Donner movies, i believe Lois and Superman didn't sleep with each other until AFTER Lois found out Superman was Clark.

THAT is a big difference between the Donner movies and SR.

This is a sequel to Supeman I and II but she doesn't know he's Clark.

Yeah, somethings wrong.... :|

well, i don't know about the early comics ( as I'm not much of a comic reader ).......

but, in the Donner movies, i believe Lois and Superman didn't sleep with each other until AFTER Lois found out Superman was Clark.

THAT is a big difference between the Donner movies and SR.

I dont see what the big deal is? Anyway, they probably just got caught up in a moment of passion.

I dont see what the big deal is? Anyway, they probably just got caught up in a moment of passion.

Because the characterization of SUperman as someone who is ALWAYS responsible and mature enough not to let him get into that situation. Additionally, his responsibility allows him to know when to stop b/c he knows that acting irresponsibly could end up hurting people that he loves.

THat is the big deal and why the characterizaiton of SUperman was wrong in SR.

Acting responsibly.

Funny how this happened in both the Donner movies

Fraid not. It wasn't until after Lois figured out that Clark and SUperman were one and the same that Superman did anything to indicate he would even be interested in a serious relationship, let alone have sex with her.

AND the early comics yet you dont complain about that.

Not sure what early comics you are talking about, becasue, in the early days sex would not even have been mentioned back in the '30's and '40's.

As far as Superman and Lois having confirmed sex in the comics, the first instance I recall is during the Return of Superman (after he died), it is alluded to. In the context of the relationship not only did Lois know that Clark was Superman, they were already engaged to be married.

This is why understanding the context of the relationship is so important to understanding the motivations and actions of Superman and Lois in SR. It is completely unlike previous versions in any medium and not an understood aspect of the SUperman mythos, like say, he's really an alien from the planet Krypton.

If we are supposed to understand that because they are 'in love' then it is automatically understood that they've had sex, then SInger is taking for granted that Superman's and the viewer's morality and sense of responsibilty is the same as his.

For the record. If, we were discussing the merits of Superman II, I have always had a bit of a problem with SUperman and Lois having sex in that movie, for multiple reason. However, the resolution to both versions of the film indicates that SUperman knew it was the wrong thing to do, hence he makes LOis forget in Lester's version (which in my opinion makes it worse) and he turns back time in Donner's version so that IT NEVER HAPPENS, a clear sign that Superman realizes that he should have never done it in the first place.

I recall you saying that you don't actually read the comics in an earlier post, where did you get the idea that this had happened in 'the early comics?' I'm assuming you just forgot that LOis learned SUperman's ID in Superman II (both versions) before they had sex.

For the record. If, we were discussing the merits of Superman II, I have always had a bit of a problem with SUperman and Lois having sex in that movie, for multiple reason. However, the resolution to both versions of the film indicates that SUperman knew it was the wrong thing to do, hence he makes LOis forget in Lester's version (which in my opinion makes it worse) and he turns back time in Donner's version so that IT NEVER HAPPENS, a clear sign that Superman realizes that he should have never done it in the first place.

I recall you saying that you don't actually read the comics in an earlier post, where did you get the idea that this had happened in 'the early comics?' I'm assuming you just forgot that LOis learned SUperman's ID in Superman II (both versions) before they had sex.

Mind manipulation without the person's authorization or even knowledge of it is morally awfully wrong.

And then, deleting memories as a way to pretend it never happened isn't any better either.

What can be more private than your thoughts and then what can be more coward than delete them in order to feel better about yourself. I delete the thoughts, I delete the action?

Let's say Nixon somehow hypnotized people to make them forget about Watergate. Does it make the mistake any better? Does it make the person who made the mistake any less guilty?

Superman in SII had the sex the same Superman in SR. Making her forget about it - without her even knowing it - doesn't change a thing, except in the sense that it makes the whole thing even worse. AT least in SR people have to live with the conseqcuences of thir actions and not just delete them magically whenever Superman wants.

Because the characterization of SUperman as someone who is ALWAYS responsible and mature enough not to let him get into that situation. Additionally, his responsibility allows him to know when to stop b/c he knows that acting irresponsibly could end up hurting people that he loves.

Acting responsibly.
i agree. i loved in the comics and in the tv show and in the donner movies where he didnt tell to the people that he loved that he is clark kent and superman. and i also loved that the people that he loved were never in danger because of him.
ohhh wait a minute.....they were :huh:

What a mistake to watch STM and then SR.

It's the terrible plagiarism. Lois rescued from aircraft disaster, then faints, then Superman's 'statistically speaking'. And so on. Then i have to see the same things in SR. It just feels WRONG, especially since SR is essentially a new story and not a remake.

Some may call it 'homage', I call it horrid. Why in God's name did Bryan Singer take entire concepts and pieces of dialogue like this? It just feels stupid and shamelessly derivative.

I have to add that Marlon Brando's acting and dialogue at the start of STM were awesome. Even with the age of the movie and a slightly dated feel, there was pure emotion in those scenes. Wonderfully done.

Here's hoping for a lot more ORIGINALITY in the next Superman movie.

God a review that sums my view on this waste of so many minutes of my life. I hated the 1st film yes people lex put my of. Loved number 2 cannot wait to see the new cut. Loved it why? Creditable evil villians not some ham and his lackies!!!

Mind manipulation without the person's authorization or even knowledge of it is morally awfully wrong.

And then, deleting memories as a way to pretend it never happened isn't any better either.

What can be more private than your thoughts and then what can be more coward than delete them in order to feel better about yourself. I delete the thoughts, I delete the action?

Let's say Nixon somehow hypnotized people to make them forget about Watergate. Does it make the mistake any better? Does it make the person who made the mistake any less guilty?

Superman in SII had the sex the same Superman in SR. Making her forget about it - without her even knowing it - doesn't change a thing, except in the sense that it makes the whole thing even worse. AT least in SR people have to live with the conseqcuences of thir actions and not just delete them magically whenever Superman wants.

I think in the context of the Donner's Superman II, turning back time is about erasing the event from happening as opposed to erasing someone's memories like in LEster's version. And that is what I posted, by doing this in LEster's version he makes the situation worse by doing something extremely morally wrong. However, the DOnner cut is different in that the event is supposed to never have happened. NOw, overall, do I like the turning back time aspect in either movie? No, but I think it works better in DOnner's cut of SUperman II than in SUperman: The Movie.

In my opinion, though, the overriding message in SUperman II is that he made a mistake and tried to rectify, where as in SR there's no sense that the filmmakers are acknowleding the severity of the mistake or that SUperman is even aware of the huge mistake he's made and all the ramifications. This aspect needed a more overt resolution to make the point, otherwise it comes across as silent approval of Superman's actions, that it's OK to leave a woman with whom you're having a sexual relationship w/o saying anything, it's OK to be an absentee dad, it's OK to let someone else raise your own child, it's OK to act irresponsibly b/c it will all work out in the end instead of having the characters acknowldge their responsibility. I think SUperman II acknowleges this and that Superman does something to try and rectify the situation he's gotten himself into. He realizes it should have never happened and in the Donner cut he tries to make that happen. THe LEster version is not so satisfying.

You say that the SUperman in SR had the same sex that the Superman in SII did. Well, I think that is unclear from the lack of context that fails to give a backstory to this elelment.

Ah, yes, people do have to live with the consequences of their actions, and while SR might want to show this, it really doesn't do a good job of fully exploring or dramatizing the consequences. By treating the consequenses so lightly and superficially, they aren't treated as seriously as they should have been considering the seriousness of this scenario in a real life situation. Consequently, this also takes the approach of silent approval on the matter, the film not really making a judgement on the immorality of what Superman's done. At least in the Donner film, the judgement of the film on the situaition is that it is a mistake and should not be condoned, necessitating Superman turning back time to stop it from ever happening.

Of course the main problem here is that making Superman a father in this manner and being an absentee father is just such a stupid idea that there is no way to execute it and make it feel like SUperman. If all you know is the other 4 movies, then I can understand how the viewer can follow that this might happen, but ultimately it is inconguent with the characterizaion in the comics and the story becomes a lame recycled soap opera plot that has nothing to do with being a good Superman story.

Acting responsibly.

Yes but Superman has never been put in the situation he was in in SR, that was the whole point of the movie, to give Superman problems and obstacles he has never dealt with before and that he couldnt easily overcome.

Funny as well, how you mention Superman never acting responisbly etc, when i have just read 'Sacrifice.' Yes, he is being manipulated granted, but he still acts extremely irresponsibly and immaturely in it.

Fraid not. It wasn't until after Lois figured out that Clark and SUperman were one and the same that Superman did anything to indicate he would even be interested in a serious relationship, let alone have sex with her.

Not sure what early comics you are talking about, becasue, in the early days sex would not even have been mentioned back in the '30's and '40's.

As far as Superman and Lois having confirmed sex in the comics, the first instance I recall is during the Return of Superman (after he died), it is alluded to. In the context of the relationship not only did Lois know that Clark was Superman, they were already engaged to be married.

This is why understanding the context of the relationship is so important to understanding the motivations and actions of Superman and Lois in SR. It is completely unlike previous versions in any medium and not an understood aspect of the SUperman mythos, like say, he's really an alien from the planet Krypton.

If we are supposed to understand that because they are 'in love' then it is automatically understood that they've had sex, then SInger is taking for granted that Superman's and the viewer's morality and sense of responsibilty is the same as his.

I am a Superman CB reader now BTW, i have read 'The Greatest Stories Ever Told: Vol. 2' which contains stories from every decade. I have also read 'Our Worlds At War' and am halfway through 'Sacrifce.'

Yes but Superman has never been put in the situation he was in in SR, that was the whole point of the movie, to give Superman problems and obstacles he has never dealt with before and that he couldnt easily overcome.

But the situation only works for the movie because he is portrayed out of character. I'm sorry, absentee father, and hit and run boyfriend are not congruent with the Superman character in anyway. He's also never been portrayed in a situation as a white supremicist, but that doesn't make it right for a Superman story.
Funny as well, how you mention Superman never acting responisbly etc, when i have just read 'Sacrifice.' Yes, he is being manipulated granted, but he still acts extremely irresponsibly and immaturely in it.

I think it's a little bit different when you are being mind controlled. And he still sticks to his guns afterward when he is mad at Diana for taking Maxwell Lord's life, because he believes in the sanctitiy of life at all costs, even if it means losing his. Clearly not selfish motivation. Unfortunately, the situation that Superman is in in SR all comes about b/c of selfish motivations. At no point are his altruism or are his high moral values the cause of the conflict, rather it is a lack of portraying him with high moral values and emotional courage that produce the problems.

I am a Superman CB reader now BTW, i have read 'The Greatest Stories Ever Told: Vol. 2' which contains stories from every decade. I have also read 'Our Worlds At War' and am halfway through 'Sacrifce.'

Cool. Let me recommend Volume 1 of Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told, The Man of Steel, Birthright and Superman in the Fifties, Superman in the Sixties and Superman in the Seventies and Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow? and Peace On Earth. Hope you are enjoying the comics, I'd be interested to know what you think of them compared to SR.

But the situation only works for the movie because he is portrayed out of character. I'm sorry, absentee father, and hit and run boyfriend are not congruent with the Superman character in anyway. He's also never been portrayed in a situation as a white supremicist, but that doesn't make it right for a Superman story.

Well we are never going to agree on this because i dont see him as an absentee father when he didnt and couldnt know of Lois' pregnancy. Also, i've already explained why i found all of Supes' action in SR understandable. I dont think he is out of character, i just think he is in a new situation.

I think it's a little bit different when you are being mind controlled. And he still sticks to his guns afterward when he is mad at Diana for taking Maxwell Lord's life, because he believes in the sanctitiy of life at all costs, even if it means losing his. Clearly not selfish motivation. Unfortunately, the situation that Superman is in in SR all comes about b/c of selfish motivations. At no point are his altruism or are his high moral values the cause of the conflict, rather it is a lack of portraying him with high moral values and emotional courage that produce the problems.

He wasnt being mind controlled, he was being manipulated IMO, he wasnt told to do anything by Max Lord, he did out of his own free will because he thought his loved one's were being killed, bit of a difference from being mind controlled IMO. Remember, he was trying to KILL Brainiac, Darkseid and Doomsday because of what he thought they had done to his loved one's. AND he nearly did a lot of damage to innocents when dealing with Blackrock, and, as far as i remember, he wasnt being manipulated then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"