UK kids show charged with Racism

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Racism complaint over Basil Brush

_41960484_basilbrush_203jpgi.jpg

A scene showing a Gypsy trying to sell heather was reported

An episode of TV programme The Basil Brush Show is being investigated after police received a complaint of racism.

A member of the public reported a scene which showed a Gypsy woman trying to sell Basil Brush heather and pegs.

The episode of the children's puppet programme was a repeat and was broadcast on digital channel CBBC.

Northamptonshire police confirmed they had received a complaint about a TV show featuring Basil Brush from a member of the public in February.

"The complaint was logged as an incident of a racist nature and our Hate Crimes Unit is investigating," a Northamptonshire Police spokesman said.

'Upsetting and distressing'

Bridie Jones, of the England Romany, Gypsy and Irish Traveller Network, accuses the UK media of double standards when it comes to racism.

"I find it very upsetting and distressing that in this day-and-age the media will use a puppet to get their own negative views and opinions across of a group that is struggling to survive," Mrs Jones told the BBC.

"They are not allowed to joke about blacks or Asians any more because they would be taken to court, but when it comes to Gypsies or the Irish travelling community they mock us - and to them it's not racist.

"We are the last group of people in this country who you can openly mock and make racist jokes about - who else is there?"

The BBC has refused to comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7300167.stm

are people getting so petty that they will moan about anything

Do Gypsy women not try and sell Basil Brush heather and pegs?

What is the American equivilant to heather and pegs? What makes this racist?

well Borat said far worst about Gypsies but that was satire

racism

One entry found.

racism
Main Entry: rac·ism Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\ Function: noun Date: 1933 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

bigot

One entry found.

bigot
Main Entry: big·ot Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\ Function: noun Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot Date: 1660 : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
— big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective
— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

prejudice

2 entries found.

prejudice[1,noun]prejudice[2,transitive verb]
Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice Pronunciation: \ˈpre-jə-dəs\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial Date: 13th century 1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Just so we are all on the same page. It is NOT Racist.

Why did I think heather and pegs was UK slang for drugs?

Why did I think heather and pegs was UK slang for drugs?
Really? I think thought Heather was a purple flower and Pegs was one part of a British Comedy duo.:yay:

Yes because everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame as well as always looking for a reason to sue.

This quote I love the best!

"We are the last group of people in this country who you can openly mock and make racist jokes about - who else is there?"

Well...the Eskimos...the Amish...I'll let you know of more later. :oldrazz:

Its funny because I hardly ever hear anyone crack jokes about the gypies.

whats funny is the show originally aired years ago, this was almost the seventh time it have been repeated

i believe the political correct term would be

"what a traveller"

Maybe it's considered racist because it's discriminating to think that only Gypsies sell heather and pegs? :huh:

This is so stupid... it doesn't even deserve it's own thread.

Maybe it's considered racist because it's discriminating to think that only Gypsies sell heather and pegs? :huh:

its more the old stereotype, than anything else, its like playing the english as all jolly good show upper class and that crap

Gypo tried to sell me heather in Blackpool. this isn't racist its FACT!!!

I had no idea. Neat.

I like them in my horror stories. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"