Uncut Gems

It's reality.

This movie gave me so much anxiety. :funny:

About half way through the film I thought to myself
Man, someone should probably just kill this guy. He's never going to stop...then it actually happened! Damn. lol.
Maaaaaannn!!! He was doing way too much! When he
finally got the money from KG for the opal, and then turned around and immediately bet it on the Celtics, handing the bag of out of the window to his girl, I said this dude needs to be stopped!

To those who love posting up audience score over some bulls**t argument, I present you this...

tIVfB5P.png

Saw this earlier tonight and wasn't a fan at all.

There were too many other characters with some sort of agenda against Adam Sandler's character for me to follow and pretty soon I forgot what each person wanted from him (except for Lakeith Stanfield's character and KG).

And I don't mind movies with rapid-fire editing, but the characters constantly yelling at and over each other got tiresome to hear as well.

As for Sandler himself, he was certainly more tolerable here than he's been in a long time, but to me, it still just seemed like he was basically playing himself. I honestly don't get the raving over his acting—to me it just looked like he was letting himself cut loose in every way he wanted to because of the allowance from the R rating. Basically I didn't get an impression that Sandler was stretching to play this character at all, based on his media press and previous movies.

Finally the musical score was terrible and really distracting. IMO whoever approved the musical score should never be allowed to work in movies again.

Went in hoping to like this given the positive reviews from Jahns and Stuckmann but left really disappointed and confused by the positive reviews. And honestly probably never seeing a Sandler movie ever again either. I'll just stick to his old movies like Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Mr. Deeds.

Saw this yesterday, wasn’t a huge fan. Sandler was awesome but nothing else really caught my interest and I thought it was too long. I probably would’ve liked it more had it been a short film because after the first 30 minutes I got the gist and it seemed to get really repetitive.

Well damn, this was tense. If anything, Uncut Gems should be a PSA for people to just settle their debts while they've got the chance. That said, really enjoyed this film. Sandler was great in his performance as I just found myself shaking my head at most of the decisions that Howard made- decisions that just put him deeper in the hole with his personal and professional life, even when it seemed like he had a win.

It felt like a constant race against the clock with Howard trying to put out multiple fires and being so certain that he could handle everything thrown at him. But as the ending showed, people can only be patient for so long. Great film.

Also, the actress who played Julia- Julia Fox- saw in an article that she was a dominatrix while in high school. Suffice to say that yeah, it showed.

I caught this yesterday. I enjoyed it, but wasn't in love. I look forward to the break down by someone much smarter than me.

Well damn, this was tense. If anything, Uncut Gems should be a PSA for people to just settle their debts while they've got the chance. That said, really enjoyed this film. Sandler was great in his performance as I just found myself shaking my head at most of the decisions that Howard made- decisions that just put him deeper in the hole with his personal and professional life, even when it seemed like he had a win.

It felt like a constant race against the clock with Howard trying to put out multiple fires and being so certain that he could handle everything thrown at him. But as the ending showed, people can only be patient for so long. Great film.

Also, the actress who played Julia- Julia Fox- saw in an article that she was a dominatrix while in high school. Suffice to say that yeah, it showed.
Yeah I posted an article about that earlier, and I was like, high school? Bruh....

I dig the film, found Adam Sandler's performance to be fascinating even if his character dug his own grave.

I get that this movie is supposed to be about the evils of self-destructive behavior or a dante's inferno type descent into bad debts. But, in terms of settling debts (to judd hirsch's character, to Arno, and the dude who he gave the fake rolex to) wouldn't the more simple solution be him selling his mercedes benz or his mistress shack?

It's basically showing the most extreme side of being a compulsive gambler, you literally can't stop even when you win.

I loved this movie, but without getting spoilery, I'll just say I wouldn't have loved it if it had ended any other way than it did. Much like I felt about Phantom Thread, the ending (and performances) made it work for me.

I loved this movie, but without getting spoilery, I'll just say I wouldn't have loved it if it had ended any other way than it did. Much like I felt about Phantom Thread, the ending (and performances) made it work for me.
Exactly
as horrible as this is, I'm not sure if I could've handled him living to bet another day. :funny:

Saw this last night and thought it was great. So intense. But while there are moments where you feel sympathy for Sandler’s character, the whole time I was
expecting him to get capped and I didn’t really feel bad when it finally happened. When he locked the loan shark guys in that secure space, I knew he was dead. It wouldn’t have mattered if he had won $10 million and given it all to them; that one guy was definitely killing him at that point.
Sandler was very good in this, and I say that as someone who hasn’t liked him in anything since Punch Drunk Love. I was apprehensive about seeing this because I’ve grown tired of the common indie film trope of plucking a has-been actor from the depths of obscurity (or in Sandler’s case, the cesspool of his own Netflix comedy trash) and trying to win them an Oscar. But in this case at least, he really was perfect for the part. Though I wondered if they actually wanted John Turturro and couldn’t get him, on account of the fact that Sandler looked so much like him to me (that’s just my own baseless theory, which I’m sure is wrong). Also great to see Idina Menzel in a non-musical role. And Kevin Garnett joins Lebron James as one of the few pro basketball players who can actually act (sorry Shaq and MJ). I also liked the actress who played Sandler’s girlfriend. Bagosian and his enforcer were also great. I definitely want to see this movie again because I think I missed some stuff but it won’t be for a while because I need a breather, lol.

YEah if it wasn't for the ending I would've liked this a lot less. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of the actual ending either

I saw this with a packed audience this past weekend, some dude in the back row of my theater called it one of “the worst movies I’ve ever seen” yet the guy never left the screening lol I was thoroughly impressed with the film, I agree with most they Good Time is probably the superior film but Sandler’s performance is warranted at least some Oscar buzz, it’s probably one of the best roles he’s had in a long time. The pacing and the score really threw me off though it’s a solid 8/10 for me.

Entertainment is a weird thing, sometimes if the rabble don't like it that means it's a work of art while other times it means it's just trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"