Valiant Comic Characters in the Movies

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I loved the old Jim Shooter Valiant comics. They took some old characters from Western Publishing like Turok, Solar, and Magnus Robot Fighter and made some great stories, and then they created new franchises like: X-O-Man-O-War, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Hard Corps, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, Armoronies, Harbinger, The Visitor, Master Darque, and one of my favorites...RAI. Acclaim Entertainment (now defunct) bought out the line and starting publsihing the stories only to go into bankruptcy and watch all the characters vanish. Acclaim made some great Turok games which resulted in the movie rights being sold and never used. However...those characters are floating around somewhere? But where? I'd love to see a X-O film, a RAI film, a Nijak movie, etc...

vcomics.jpg

Any thoughts?

Rai was an outstanding comic book. It's a crime and a tragedy that it never really got a chance to shine.

It was pretty wild. It would be a great Japanimation series. A film would be real tough because it would require a huge budget and it's so out of this world most people just wouldn't get it. XO would be amazing.

Anyone trying to make a Rai movie would have a massive challenge on their hands. But things change with time, and movies that people once said would never be created, or wouldn't succeed, have done exactly that. And anyways, it's still fun to think about, at least.

Something like XO or Turok (or maybe even Solar) would have a much easier time getting adapted to live-action, and I agree that any one of those could be awesome. I think Rai still appeals to me the most, though, because it would be the biggest challenge. :cool:

I miss pre-Acclaim Valiant. I used to pick up Turok from my local comics shop like clockwork, as well as Ninjak.

I especially loved how Ninjak's arch-nemesis was this horrendously deformed and crippled old man in a wheelchair: he was the perfect example of an evil genius. Oh, how I miss Valiant and their Chromium covers and failed Valiant Vision experiment.

I think a Ninjak movie would be a hell of a lot of fun. The character is basically James Bond with more sex & violence...a LOT more. What's not to love?

magnus robot fighter the movie would do it for me

Archer and Armstrong would probably be the easiest to pull off...that or Harbinger. Flying, telekinesis and pyrokinesis are pretty easy to do effects wise.

Advanced Dark said:
I don't know about you guys but I loved the old Jim Shooter Valiant comics. They took some old characters from Western Publishing like Turok, Solar, and Magnus Robot Fighter and made some great stories, and then they created new franchises like: X-O-Man-O-War, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Hard Corps, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, Armoronies, Harbinger, The Visitor, Master Darque, and one of my favorites...RAI. Acclaim Entertainment (now defunct) bought out the line and starting publsihing the stories only to go into bankruptcy and watch all the characters vanish. Acclaim made some great Turok games which resulted in the movie rights being sold and never used. However...those characters are floating around somewhere? But where? I'd love to see a X-O film, a RAI film, a Nijak movie, etc...

Any thoughts?
An X-O Manowar movie would rule the box office...why is Hollywood so stupid?!? With all the new comic movies (I heard they are doing Wanted with Eminem now) I hope some director with power realizes that Hollywood hasn't noticed the best universe of characters up for grabs (DC is at Warner Bros and Marvel is doing their own movies now).

Oh and I see your X-O #0 picture and raise you the valiantfans.com X-O lithograph

xolithoholo.jpg

I have the first X-O Manowar TPB, and that´s it for me when it comes to Valiant.
I´m i´m a big fan of comic book and comic book characters, so, i´m all for movies based on those guys :up:

X0 was a great idea. Reminded me a bit of Battlefield Earth a bit on a smaller scale as far as the caveman in the high-tech suit. Rai was totally original, Ninjak was cool...Magnus ruled and should be a movie for sure. I have every issue of every series and I bought that from the beginning before anyone really read it. I remember buying 20 copies of Solar #10 and the dealer was like...what are you doing? That was when they were brand new. Shooter was the best. Then he started that other company and it flopped hard.

Yeah, I terribly miss Jim Shooter's Solar: a masterpiece.:csad:

Reminded me of Supes & Silver Surfer mixed...in a way but it was more enjoyable for me.

Advanced Dark said:
Reminded me of Supes & Silver Surfer mixed...in a way but it was more enjoyable for me.

Totally agree and I 'd love to see the Alpha & Omega origin story from Solar #1/10 beatifully pencilled by Barry Windsor-Smith translated for the big screen. I really admire Shooter work: he not only has been the best Marvel editor-in-chief ever but the Valiant high-quality comic-books has been the most important superhero line since the Marvel revolution in the 60s.

I made a thread about this a loooong while back and agree with you 100% AD. X-O would own so much ass as a movie...........or even a good Turok movie

ALL of Valiants first two years were unbelievable good times.
I ran to the store to buy these books and it's a shame that as fast as it rose was as quick as it disappeared.
I think the 1st 24 issues of Harbinger is where it's at. Great bad guy, confused teens with super abilities and scenarios that were wild and possible(in a sci fi way). It would be a mighty series on HBO or something too...

as a side note Em is not in Wanted although I do wish he was. 8Mile is so good is oozes good as it is being watched. Em rocks too.
Instead what we are getting is a piece of turkey stuffing with a guy who is happy he is adapting(also means loosely)a property that he knows nothing of.
WILL be passing on it and because I DID enjoy Wanted the books so much I will tirade with everyone I know to avoid this upcoming movie.

I've had enough with Adaptations. It if not a translation I've NO interest in it.
I can get with the program-stuff changed over a bit to make it easier to digest. At least maintian the initial concepts set forth...

Once upon a time I would defend these films(like XMen 3) but not anymore.
Arad is quickly turning into a guy who makes my black list.

Valient had some damn good characters. As far as a movie goes, I think I'd like to see X-0 Manowar and Shadowman the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"