Days of Future Past Vaughn vs Singer

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say on the difference these two bring to the table? I'm going to miss Vaughn's eye for style. One thing that movie had more than Singer's movies was a lot of swagger and stylistic battles (think the scene with Azazel at the CIA headquarters). I'm not sure if Singer can replicate that.

i think X2 nightcrawler in the whitehouse was quite stylistic

while vaughn tried to stay loyal to singers Xmen films i think singer will stay loyal to vaughns first class

I think Singer can do stylistic scenes/battles as well. Mystique vs. Wolverine in X1, Nightcrawler infiltrating the White House, the dogfight battle scene in the X-Jet, and Wolvie vs. Deathstrike were all great action scenes.

Anyone have anything to say on the difference these two bring to the table? I'm going to miss Vaughn's eye for style. One thing that movie had more than Singer's movies was a lot of swagger and stylistic battles (think the scene with Azazel at the CIA headquarters). I'm not sure if Singer can replicate that.

Are you kidding? Singer replicating a scene that was replicating a scene HE did? O-k...

Nightcrawler vs White House > Azazel vs CIA

Well, he replicated the opening concentration camp scene. I was exaggerating he didn't REPLICATE the same Nightcrawler attack, it just was reminiscent of it.

Singer is definitely has more style/oomph when it comes to his fight scenes. Sometimes Vaughn's direction can be a little campy.

Singer destroys Vaughn when it comes to the action scenes of X2 vs FC. The lady death strike fight is still one of my fav one on one fights in a superhero film.

For the most part though I liked the way the characters interacted with eachother in FC more then X2. With a few aside, X2 chracters always felt more one note and just kinda boring. Magneto and Prof X in FC were the best developed characters Ive seen in this whole franchise. Although some of the villains in FC were pretty underdeveloped and one dimensional as well. Both directors have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
I hope Singer does a great job showing the 70's world.

FC didnt do a bad job at all with the 60s, but they can easily improve the time period stuff.

We need more locations, extras, music from the time period, all that type of stuff, with nods here and there. That would give the movie a really great vibe and something unseen on the comicbook movies do date.

One thing we can get from Singer that we didn't get from Vaughn was that Singer (mostly*) knows what works and what doesn't. He can view the X-men world through his realism angle and knows how to change things so they can work.

He knows that if something is cheesy he'll edit that out. As producer I had hoped Bryan would've stepped in when he saw that the furry Beast introduction scene in the hangar didn't work. :( Or he had come up with a better way to show Sebastian Shaw's powers.

*Toad and Lightning notwithstanding. :p

I think with regards to action, Singer takes the prize.
Although Vaughn's style added colour and a vibrancy that I loved over the more darker tone of Singer's films. X1 and X2 had amazing action. Lady Deathstrike vs wolvie. Nightcrawler white house scene, wolvie vs mystique and even his little action scenes were cool. Cyclops vs deathstrike and the guards. Mystique scene in stryker's base.

Singer > Vaughn, no question.

Prefer Singer's style, and I believe his films are both better than First Class. Couldn't be happier about how this film is coming together.

In terms of style, I give it to Singer.

He had a lot to learn in the first X-Men, so a lot was left to be desired. But the Mystique/Wolverine fight was pretty amazing. Well choreographed. And the way Mystique was crafted was just stunning. Her movements were crazy cool.

In X2, he took everything he learned from the first film and applied it. Every fight sequence or VFX sequence was golden. The opening Nightcrawler scene. Wolveriene vs Deathstrike. Wolverine during the mansion invasion. The tornado dogfight. Mystique infiltrating Strykers base. Jeans final scenes at the lake.

In terms of pure action, definitely Singer. Nothing in FC is as memorable as X2.

However FC had the energy, colour and vibrancy that Singer's more dour, restrained films do not have and which appeals to me more. And I prefer the character interactions of FC as well. They feel warmer and livelier to me.

In terms of pure action, definitely Singer. Nothing in FC is as memorable as X2.

However FC had the energy, colour and vibrancy that Singer's more dour, restrained films do not have and which appeals to me more. And I prefer the character interactions of FC as well. They feel warmer and livelier to me.

I agree with that. Singer's films tend to be seem a litttle cold and moody at times; I think it's his 'style'. I did enjoy the warmth and vibrancy of Vaughn, even if he misses the beat sometimes.

Yeah, I can agree with that as well.

I don't see how Singer's wire fu is better than Vaughn's group battles which perfect capture what an X-men battle should be.

Also I think Vaughn executes drama better. The Magneto scenes in First Class are highlights of the franchise in terms of dramatic impact.

They're about equal when it comes to humor.

First Class is my favorite X-men movie and it's a shame Vaughn never got a chance to direct another so we could make a genuine comparison to Singer.

First Class is my favorite X-men movie and it's a shame Vaughn never got a chance to direct another so we could make a genuine comparison to Singer.

Yeah, everybody tends to compare FC to X2, but it probably would have been fairer to compare X2 to Vaughn's second film in the series.

Singer is better. This is coming from a fan of Vaughn.

Singer has a better sense of visual style, better use of subtlety, and brought a strong sense of gravity to the dialogue. Some of the scenes in X1 and X2 were classic, memorable, and even beautiful.

I really didn't like the fight scene between Wolverine and Deathstrike though. I get that they would fight dirty, but the way it was shot made it look actually disorganized and ineffective. Hot mess. That said, I would love it if Deathstrike was back. Kelly Hu was awesome.

First Class was hollow and had really bad lines. There were some good things about it, but I was disappointed overall. That "mutant and proud" line was the most horrible thing. It was not subtle at all. Very ridiculous.

I also didn't like the fight scenes in First Class. Can we get some fight scenes that are as exciting as Hit Girl's scenes in Kick-Ass? It can still be good without it being Rated R.

He definitely got a chance to direct another X-Men movie, X3 and this one. But he bailed twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"