Days of Future Past Bryan Singer not directing X-Men: First Class?

If Singer doesnt come back for First Class, I'd love it if Fox got Joss Whedon.

They would probabley put him on such a tight leash even Whedon might not be able to deliver the X-Men movie we want.

1) They wouldn't make a $150 million+ movie just to 'tease' fans about a sequel. They want a new trilogy with this First Class business.

2) Fox are a movie studio who make many films. They don't need to finish one franchise before they focus on another. If they wanted too they could make X-Men, Daredevil and Fantastic Four at the same time.

3) I agree.

Who said they are dishing out 150 million for this? And who says it's going to be a new trilogy? Maybe they'd like that, but I doubt they are dishing out that kind of money when Wolverine won't be in this (never say never). It could just be a warm up before X-4. And yeah, they could make X-Men movies every year, but then they will lose their other properties. Don't think they will give them up lightly. Even if it means making a DB:E type movie before they give it back up. Plus it's not easy doing two spinoffs (including Wolverine 2) concurrently let alone DD/FF/X-Men movies at once. So you get these smaller spinoffs out of the way and you can set sights on relaunching DD/FF before having to go back to X-Men.

Last edited:
Who said they are dishing out 150 million for this?

Nobody. I was just speculating. $150 million is the average price for a blockbuster. Sony are trying to make the Spider-Man reboot for less than $120 million, but thats because they have a newbie director and they'll be hiring a cheap young cast. Fox will probably be doing the same.

And who says it's going to be a new trilogy?
Lauren Shuler Donner said it last year. In the article saying Singer is now producing it says "he is leaving because Fox liked the script that Jamie Moss wrote from Singer's treatment so much that the studio wants the film right away, envisioning it as the first leg of a trilogy."

And why wouldn't they make a trilogy? They'll have a young cheap cast and a wealth of stories. If X-Men: First Class is a success we're all but guaranteed a sequel.

It could just be a warm up before X-4.
What is there to warm up? If they were going to give us an X4 they'd get started on one. They wouldn't be making a prequel set before the previous trilogy.

So you get these smaller spinoffs out of the way and you can set sights on relaunching DD/FF before having to go back to X-Men.
I'll say it again. Fox can make DD/FF and X-Men at the same time (thats what they were doing between 2001 - 2005). Avatar just made $2 billion, it's not as though they are strapped for cash.

Warner Bros are making Batman 3, Green Lantern and Superman. Marvel are making Thor, Captain America and The Avengers. It is possible for studios to make more than one comic book movie at a time. It's not as though X-Men in getting in the way of the Fantastic Four reboot.

Last edited:
what I wanna know is why is this movie being called X-Men: First Class? Why not just X-Men Origins? I mean they went to all that trouble calling the Wolverine movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This movie doesn't even have anything to do with the First Class comics.

There are shaded of what went down with last Stand.Consider Wolverine II
has a script but won't beguin filming till early 2011 yet First Class Is still
being written and Is reportly set for filming later this year.Rush job.Granted here Bryan Singer will stay on as producer(although unclear how hands on
he will be) and they are sticking to his Ideas.Now If Joss Whedon was hired to
direct that would make me feel better but I don't know If Fox Is that smart.

While after Jack The Giant Killer Singer could do X-Men 4 provided Fox Is now willing to do a X-Men sequel and not another prequel spinoff.However we could be In the same situation since he Is going to direct a Battlestar Galactica film at some point Inless Fox moves before he Is further along devolping that.

Nobody. I was just speculating. $150 million is the average price for a blockbuster. Sony are trying to make the Spider-Man reboot for less than $120 million, but thats because they have a newbie director and they'll be hiring a cheap young cast. Fox will probably be doing the same.

Isn't this project more similar to the latter than the usual 200 million dollar tentpole?

Lauren Shuler Donner said it last year. In the article saying Singer is now producing it says "he is leaving because Fox liked the script that Jamie Moss wrote from Singer's treatment so much that the studio wants the film right away, envisioning it as the first leg of a trilogy."

They are going to make sequels if it makes bank, I am not denying that. Doesn't mean it has to be part 1 of 3. It will be a stand alone much like Origins.

And why wouldn't they make a trilogy? They'll have a young cheap cast and a wealth of stories. If X-Men: First Class is a success we're all but guaranteed a sequel.

And that's a BIG IF...

What is there to warm up? If they were going to give us an X4 they'd get started on one. They wouldn't be making a prequel set before the previous trilogy.

No, because they realize most of the cast has moved on and it's too expensive to produce. They'd best sit on it and give it some more time to cook up, so that it will feel as ripe as ever to audiences once the time comes.

I'll say it again. Fox can make DD/FF and X-Men at the same time (thats what they were doing between 2001 - 2005). Avatar just made $2 billion, it's not as though they are strapped for cash.

Doesn't make sense from an economical standpoint. The DD movies came out in Febuary, not the summer. FF was summer but never the same year as X-Men. They won't put out two movies in the summer. Either FC or Wolverine will be released in the summer, but not both. That's what I meant by not the same time. Point is, say Fox completes Wolverine 2/FC by summer 2012, DD can go in the winter slot (2012) earliest. FF in 2013. If Fox waits any longer than that (even then that may be too late) Disney may swoop in. That's why there is an urgency to get these spinoffs completed by 2012.

Warner Bros are making Batman 3, Green Lantern and Superman. Marvel are making Thor, Captain America and The Avengers. It is possible for studios to make more than one comic book movie at a time. It's not as though X-Men in getting in the way of the Fantastic Four reboot.

Marvel, even as a sub branch, has been operating separately from the mothership who is concentrating on their own tentpoles, and they are averaging 1.33 films a year thus far. WB is putting out GL/TDK/Supes in separate summers. Fox will do the same, but there is urgency because of their precarious standing with Disney.

There are shaded of what went down with last Stand.Consider Wolverine II
has a script but won't beguin filming till early 2011 yet First Class Is still
being written and Is reportly set for filming later this year.Rush job.Granted here Bryan Singer will stay on as producer(although unclear how hands on and if they are sticking to his ideas.Now If Joss Whedon was hired to
direct that would make me feel better but I don't know If Fox Is that smart.

While after Jack The Giant Killer Singer could do X-Men 4 provided Fox Is now willing to do a X-Men sequel and not another prequel spinoff.However we could be In the same situation since he Is going to direct a Battlestar Galactica film at some point Inless Fox moves before he Is further along devolping that.

Exactly... oh and Tim Burton also produced Batman 3/4 and we know how that turned out. A causual producer means next to nothing in some circumstances. It could mean a mere advisor.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that Fox is going to get an up-and-coming director and basically have him come in and work with what's already set up by Bryan Singer and writer Jamie Moss. Then when the film comes out, they'll advertise it as Bryan Singer's X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and the actual director will get little to no mention. Kind of like Robert Rodriguez's PREDATORS and The Wachowski's V FOR VENDETTA.

And that's a BIG IF...

Not really. Every X-Men film has been financially successful. If Fox make X-Men: First Class for less than $100 million with a cheap cast and a cheap director it's bound to make a profit. Even Wolverine, which was all over the internet a month before its release and had negative reviews, made nearly $400 million.

Wolverine also made less than both X2 and X3, so its not as though people JUST go for Wolverine. Fox put 'X-Men' in the title and had mutants such as Gamit, Emma Frost, Cyclops etc. in the marketing. People will still go to see an X-Men film without him. It's just a case of the cast, marketing, competition and whether its any good or not.

Last edited:
"Do we really need Jack the Giant Killer?"

Damn good question that we all know the answer to.

At least by him producing, the flavor of the film should be right. I'm glad Fox is going ahead because we really don't need to wait. It'll be a great film with the right director and I'm firmly in the "JOSS WHEDON is the right director" camp!

Come on Joss Whedon, Come on Joss Whedon, Come on Joss Whedon...

See I love Joss Whedon as a writer I realy do, his X-Men run is in my top three favs.....but as a movie director I have more faith in Batman and Robin director Joel Schumacher...Whedon's great director in the Little Leagues(TV)...but in the Major(Movie) well I've already said Joel Schmacher....

^Have to disagree, I thought what he did with Serenity on such a small budget was quite unbelievable, its one of my favourite movies of all time, and i'm not even a Whedon enthusiast.

Could be out of date. Whedon is rumored to be doing Avengers now, but who knows.

I still maintain that an X-men first class by Singer is ridiculous. If Singer comes back, just do a ****ing new movie.

so does anyone know if Fox is going w/the script Singer wrote or are they gonna get a new script since he's producing???

*i remember reading somewhere that they threw out a draft another guy wrote when Singer was slated to direct*

Fox liked Singer's vision and the script he wrote with Jamie Moss, so they'll probably be sticking with it. Whoever ends up directing may want to make a few changes, but probably nothing big.

They would probabley put him on such a tight leash even Whedon might not be able to deliver the X-Men movie we want.

Lucky. Disney/Marvel nabbed him first.

At least we'll have some good stuff coming from that quarter. :)

why is people so obessed with whedon doing x-men i didnt like his run on the series and didnt like buffy the vampire slayer why do people think he would make an excellent movie.

Because he's good at what he does, and you obviously just don't like good storytelling.:cwink:

hes not good, i think his stories are trying to be too realistic but at the same time in the wrong areas

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"