VFX: Terminator: Judgement Day vs. Jurassic Park

lime

Movie critic
Reaction score
Both are excellent, but I would go with Jurassic Park because it improved upon what T2 started with CGI effects. The dinosaurs look more realistic to me than the liquid form T-1000.

Talk about Sophie's Choice !!!

Both have The Abyss to thank (as does everything since) by way of CGI development.

I would say T2 in terms of the baton it picked up and took onto the level for Jurassic to benefit from.

Jurassic Park's visuals holds up amazingly today. Fantastic and for me more realistic than the ones in Jurassic World.

Tough but I rewatched T2 not that long ago and was still blown away by the T-1000 effects. I vote T2.

I'd have to give it to Jurassic Park. There are some vfx in T2 that look a little fake now. But JP's still hold up amazingly.

JP is simply more advanced. Complex textures, more lifelike animations. 2 year gap surely helped to develop the technology further from T2.

Its a tough one, JP has more visual effects than compared to T2. The brachio?bronto? scenes looks pretty rough now but I think in T2 the only real bad CGI is the liquid metal bullet holes closing up.

Does VFX include animatronics or just digital because the T1000 getting blown open at the end I think is a better effect than anything in JP.

T2 is close, but Jurassic Park is arguably the greatest special effects movie ever.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park still look more 'real' than most modern CGI. They feel tangible and have weight to them. I'm still trying to figure out why. I think it's either because a) they were used very sparingly, b) the effects shots were all planned to be done practically so that knowledge helped somehow, or c) it's just magic.

Well it's hard to compare because T2 only uses CG with one character and it looks fantastic. Jurassic Park's CG looks more dated because they used more of it, the textures of the dinosaurs during daylight scenes don't look that good now and the only scene that still holds up incredibly well is the T-Rex and it's because it's during the night and in the rain. Because of this I don't think there's a fair way to compare them.

That being said, if we include practical effects in the discussion I'll have to give it to T2. That scene of the helicopter flying underneath the bridge is one of the most impressive stunts I've ever seen, JP can't compete with that.

T2 Judgement Day. It still holds up when watched today, whereas I don't think you can really say that with JP.

T2 Judgement Day. It still holds up when watched today, whereas I don't think you can really say that with JP.

That's the most untrie thing I have ever read. Jurassic Park in THE movie that has ages incredibly well in terms of CGI. THE movie.

2 movies that really pushed effects work onwards. I'd give the edge to Jurassic Park.

It's ridiculous that Jurassic Park has better CG effects than some movies made today.

Jurassic Park looks amazing even today
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA1My82NTEvb3JpZ2luYWwvanVyYXNzaWMtcGFyay5qcGc=

tyrannosaurusrex-06.jpg

Last edited:
Some HQ shots of both films:

Terminator 2
03bbbc3044988028.jpg

f5d7c51d6a068a16.jpg

4cdc1b3f23ff9c8c.jpg

Jurassic Park
a07dd67791ae1910.jpg

b63ed2b773182968.jpg

sqp63s.jpg

There are things in Terminator that are so easy to just assume are impressive CGI that are actually just seamingly impossible practical effects. I know Jurassic Park has that element as well but Terminator 2 blows my mind with everyhthing with the T-100 getting blown in half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"