Villains for S5?

Dr. Manhatten

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm not a reader of the books, though I've read up on some big events in the series and for the book readers, now that ASOS is fully adapted, who are the big villains going forward? Now that
Tywin Lannister and Joffrey
are dead, are there any characters introduced or upgraded that fill the same kind of void? Guys like Roose Bolton and Walder Frey seem to be the types, but neither of them seem to be as influential of a villain in the series world as the others were. Are there others introduced who take up the mantle?

Spoilers for A Feast for Crows. [blackout]Euron Greyjoy. He takes the seastone chair in the Iron Islands after Balon Greyjoy's (Euron's brother)death. It is implied that Euron hired a Faceless Man to off his brother. His ship is crewed by mutes, he's captured the warlocks of Quarth and killed all but Pyat Pree. It is implied that Pree was fed the other warlocks for sustenance. Euron's grand plan revolves around a Valyrian horn said to bind dragons. He sends Victarion and the Iron Fleet to Meereen with the horn. Meanwhile, his men are attacking the Arbor and the Tyrell lands in the south[/blackout].

Spoilers for A Dance with Dragons. [blackout]A red priest named Moqorro makes two references to Euron. Once as the Dark Eye, a servant of the night, and again as a one-eyed, ten-armed beast that is Dany's greatest threat. Moqorro is heading to Meereen to warn Dany of Euron.[/blackout]
They might also start showing more of Night's King now, too.

Last edited:
The Boltons are the obvious choice. Especially since Stannis and his troops are now in the north.

Season 5 villain is likely either the Boltons or what Daenerys faces.

Hard to assume or suspect, when we don't know the new cast, etc.

Cersei's still in KL so that's yuck. Also, me and Roose will be the North's villains, I assume.

A lot of the smart players have been eliminated now. I assume Tyrells won't take power now that no one can restrain Cersei, but more because that would undercut any potential drama.

I presume Greyjoy can't take centre stage given that he's the intellectual equivelant of a partly-digested pig's ear.

The Greyjoys are a joke now. They can't maintain stuff that they take over. Pathetic pirates.

Cersei's still in KL so that's yuck. Also, me and Roose will be the North's villains, I assume.

Wanna be Roose, you were born a bastard, you know nothing else. Get the titles you want, you'll always have been born a bastard.

Wanna be Roose, you were born a bastard, you know nothing else. Get the titles you want, you'll always have been born a bastard.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

bd6DEwe.gif

I'm a Lord, i don't need to make sence :o

I'm not a reader of the books, though I've read up on some big events in the series and for the book readers, now that ASOS is fully adapted, who are the big villains going forward? Now that
Tywin Lannister and Joffrey
are dead, are there any characters introduced or upgraded that fill the same kind of void? Guys like Roose Bolton and Walder Frey seem to be the types, but neither of them seem to be as influential of a villain in the series world as the others were. Are there others introduced who take up the mantle?

There are no villains in Game of Thrones.

Joffrey suffered psychological problems as a result of being the product of incest. The man he knew as his father died, and he was denied his birthright by a man (who had already helped lead one coup) claiming his heritage was a lie. All of Joffrey's cruelties stemmed from the fact that he was very ill.

As for Tywin, he was a political leader, largely in wartime. He protected the kingdom from rebellions. The only "villainous" thing he did was not wanting to see his son, who reminded him of his dead wife, oh an sleep with a ****e.

Having said that, it's almost certain that the Greyjoy's will be arriving, the Bolton's are still in the North and Lannisters' and Tyrells' are still in King's Landing, and Dorne just had a prince killed.

Because of what you did to him, the Greyjoys are still active in the war. This is why you shouldn't send a Bastard to do a Lord's job :o

The Greyjoys are helpless and weak. I used my pet to weaken them even more. The Lords will bow to me!

The Greyjoys are helpless and weak. I used my pet to weaken them even more. The Lords will bow to me!

Ahahah you have no idea about what's coming, do you? You Boltons are not safe, Tywin is dead, various kings and queens want the Iron Throne and the North remembers the Red Wedding. You are not safe.

I have no idea what's coming. All I know is that we are heading to Winterfell - our new home.

But whatever happens, I won't be defeated that easily!

That makes no sense whatsoever.

bd6DEwe.gif

The one thing that bugs me about Ramsey that this Gif reminded me of is that he's an uneven character. Like this Gif, he starts out as a chubby faced goofy fool who acts like a middle schooler. All of a sudden after Greyjoy has become Reek he's this muscular badass. Wtf...

There are no villains in Game of Thrones.

Joffrey suffered psychological problems as a result of being the product of incest. The man he knew as his father died, and he was denied his birthright by a man (who had already helped lead one coup) claiming his heritage was a lie. All of Joffrey's cruelties stemmed from the fact that he was very ill.

As for Tywin, he was a political leader, largely in wartime. He protected the kingdom from rebellions. The only "villainous" thing he did was not wanting to see his son, who reminded him of his dead wife, oh an sleep with a ****e.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

He has to be. Unless he's one of those teenagers who thinks that declaring 'there are no real villains' whenever something comes up makes him edgy and nuanced. Otherwise, there is no way that is a serious statement.

He has to be. Unless he's one of those teenagers who thinks that declaring 'there are no real villains' whenever something comes up makes him edgy and nuanced. Otherwise, there is no way that is a serious statement.

What is your working definition of edgy?

Joffrey...well, he did grow up watching Bobby B beat his mom, drink, and ****e. Look at how he treats Sansa; he is acting like a miniature Bobby B. Except he's not smashing Targaryens while blasting Motorhead. Also, aside from the bad genes, he was likely brain damaged when Robert hit him hard enough to make Stannis think that young Joff was dead. Joffrey's actions toward the peasantry do make him a villain, albeit a nuanced one.

Tywin, on the other hand, doesn't strictly fit the villain mold. Winning the War of Five Kings in a penstroke and saving the people of the Riverlands from further depredation by wolves, lions, and losing home/crop/livestock to the war effort would let those people view Tywin as a hero. On the other hand, the Starks would rightly see Tywin as a villain.

So they're not villains in the sense of comic booky villains or any other 2-dimensional villain. Rather, they're multifaceted characters instead of caricatures.

Gotta agree with that, the ones who would more easily fit the vilainous mold due to their actions are probably the Boltons, and even then they have their oun reasons to do what they do.

Well, Tywin does condone gang-rape and baby killing. So there's that.

That's why it's described as a shade of grey. Look at his goal in the War of the Five Kings: prevent the fragmentation of the kingdom and keep the continent united, just like he wanted in Robert's Rebellion.

Now look at Littlefinger, he threw the entire continent into civil war because he wanted to get his little finger into Catelyn.

I have a method to my madness. I'm not just a one-dimensional psychopath.

And I'm not chubby.

Well, I wouldn't call the gang-rape of Tysha (and then forcing Tyrion to participate) a pragmatic or political move. He did it because he hates Tyrion and he wanted to hurt him.

Likewise, his goals and actions throughout the War of Five Kings weren't out of any sense of greater good or genuine concern for the Realm, he just wanted Lannister dominance. He was even willing to let the Night's Watch to get destroyed and allow the Wildlings to invade just so that it would cause Robb more problems, even though by doing so he'd essentially be unleashing a chaotic horde across the land that would cause untold conflict with the locals and probably result in a massive death toll amongst the smallfolk.

It's political brinkmanship and is often employed during times of tension and war. Look at the years leading into World War I, from the dissolution of the Three emperors League to the July Crisis. The major world powers were engaging in brinkmanship for years making what would have been likely empty threats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"