Villains who make you think

Magneto comes to mind along with bourne (if hes a villians. Seems like it at times)

The Godfather 's Don Corleone .

I also really enjoyed Magneto , It was nice to see a villain with depth .

I guess I'm just curious if it was the war that made him such a viscious bastard or if he was always that way. Probably the latter, but you never know. The whole relationship with his father and the obsession with time also made him intriguing and not your run-of-the-mill evil stepfather.

I think I get what you mean. He becomes sympathetic in a way because throughout the film it becomes apparent that he will never be the soldier that his father was, and that is why he has become so cruel.

The end, when he asks for his son to know of him and the woman says "No", was heartwrenching and amazing for those reasons.

The Godfather 's Don Corleone .

Absolutely.

I think any major comic villian could be skewed as sympathetic. Or at least that you root for them. Think about everyone's love for Venom or the Joker (both who have somewhat tragic pasts).

I would also have to add Hans Gruber to the list. Rickman absolutely steals the show in Die Hard.

I think any major comic villian could be skewed as sympathetic. Or at least that you root for them. Think about everyone's love for Venom or the Joker (both who have somewhat tragic pasts).
With the Joker I guess it depends on which origin you go with. If it's the one where he was a struggling comedian whose wife and baby died then yeah, but if it's the one where he was just a criminal from the start then no.

With the Joker I guess it depends on which origin you go with. If it's the one where he was a struggling comedian whose wife and baby died then yeah, but if it's the one where he was just a criminal from the start then no.

True, I definetly was thinking of the Moore origin. But the Joker is still a villian who is fun to root for.

The guy on my avvy :)

Also, Tyler from Fight Club and some others that I can't remember now.

Can we consider V (V for Vendetta) to be a villain, since he is, afterall, a terrorist? Moviegoers might see him to be the protagonist but he could also be viewed as a relatively gray character.

If the term villain applies to V, then I would vote for him most definitely.

Doctor Doom- not the movie version but the comic version. Also King Kong and Darth Vader

Dr. Doom's motivations are nowhere near understandable. His villainy and motivations come from his ego and vanity. Not because that he might be right or his actions being for the greater good. He is not like Magneto who wanted to end mutant oppression (and create mutant domination). He is not like Jigsaw who wanted his victims to appreciate life. Or Darth Vader who viewed the Jedi as evil and wanted to bring order.

His hatred of Richards is completely unreasonable because his errors were his fault, not Mr. Fantastic's.

And his actions are far to heinous too, like when he sent Franklin Richards to Hell. Killed his childhood sweetheart to gain magical powers. He uses Latveria's resources in his personal vendetta against the Fantastic Four.

The only good thing you can say about Doom is that he's a man of honor.

Can we consider V (V for Vendetta) to be a villain, since he is, afterall, a terrorist? Moviegoers might see him to be the protagonist but he could also be viewed as a relatively gray character.

If the term villain applies to V, then I would vote for him most definitely.

I'm not sure about V, but the comic version of Sutler is somewhat of a sympathetic villian--you actually go into his head and he slowly snaps throughout the cource of the book.

Dr. Doom's motivations are nowhere near understandable. His villainy and motivations come from his ego and vanity. Not because that he might be right or his actions being for the greater good. He is not like Magneto who wanted to end mutant oppression (and create mutant domination). He is not like Jigsaw who wanted his victims to appreciate life. Or Darth Vader who viewed the Jedi as evil and wanted to bring order.
Actually, I think he is a little like Vader. He wants to bring order, ruling with an Iron Fist, but his real motivations are personal and egotistical (lust for power, personal vendetta)

Not that I would relate to Vader or Doom. They are great villains as fierce enemies and big threats, but not as sympathetic villains.

But Vader is sympathetic if you watch the prequel trilogy. You can understand why he sees the Jedi are evil and why he desires such order.

Dr. Doom is not sympathetic at the least. He blames Richards for his experiment going wrong simply because he can't face the fact that he made a simple mistake. And as you said, his real motivations are more personal and egotistical than Vader's.

Seeing the prequels, Vader seemed to care for order, justice, and wathever, but it clearly showed lust for power, and desire to rule the galaxy.

As Doom, I think both try to seem righteous, but are truly tyrants.

Magneto. So difficult that I don't know whose side I would be on if I was a mutant. Often makes more sense than Xavier.

Magneto. So difficult that I don't know whose side I would be on if I was a mutant. Often makes more sense than Xavier.

'Specially in Ultimate I think, he's just so lovable.

John Doe from Seven.

So you believe prostitutes should be impaled to death, obese people should be force fed to death and lawyers bled to death? Im kind of grossed out by people's affection for john doe, he was a religious fundamentalist psychopath.

So you believe prostitutes should be impaled to death, obese people should be force fed to death and lawyers bled to death? Im kind of grossed out by people's affection for john doe, he was a religious fundamentalist psychopath.
What part of "makes you think" means "I want to be like that person"?

I have a feeling Heath's Joker will fall into this category soon enough.

As for my choices:

HAL, Skynet and The Machines from 'Matrix' come to mind right away.

CFE

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"