Viral Zombies vs. "Mystical Zombies"

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Day of the Dead 2007, Resident Evil, 28 Weeks Later and several other recent Zombie films all have one similarity. The Zombies are a disease. A viral outbreak, that kills and reanimates the "dead".

This is obviously an attempt to make Zombies "believable". A virus being something that could happen, the dead magically rising not.

In George A Romero's Dead series there was only one explanation ever given, it was in the second movie. Ken Foree said (as he did again in the remake), "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth". Even Romero himself admitted this was the actual explanation.
Today the zombies are officially virus. The synopsis of the movies, and sometimes the movies themselves make sure the audience is well aware of this fact.

Day of the Dead seems to be a more accurate remake than Dawn, even featuring most of the actual characters. The Zombies supposedly will move slower yet again.
However it is said it will be an "outbreak" or yet another virus.

I feel this takes away from Zombie movies. The novelty of the original Dead series is that you never knew what was going on. The audience was as bewildered as the characters. "Why the heck are the dead rising".

In Dawn a series of Television shows we see (until eventually only static is on the airways) show the horrid confusion and irrationality of the humans. However due to a lack of explanation, the audience too shares this confusion. We never know if it will stop, or how.

With the virus, brings explanation, and brings the story "down to earth". However it removes the fear and tension brought on by Romero's Zombies. Truly this is not the only thing that sets him apart, but I feel it is one thing that aids good zombie films.

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth" thing never made any since to me, because hell is supposed to be a place the people's souls go to, not their bodies. So if there was no more room in hell there would be souls without bodies wandering the earth instead of bodies without souls. See what I'm saying?
But I digress...I don't care how the zombies became zombies, but I think it's better when it's not explained.

SilentType said:
But I digress...I don't care how the zombies became zombies, but I think it's better when it's not explained.

Agreed

ShadowBoxing said:
28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Day of the Dead 2007, Resident Evil, 28 Weeks Later and several other recent Zombie films all have one similarity. The Zombies are a disease. A viral outbreak, that kills and reanimates the "dead".

This is obviously an attempt to make Zombies "believable". A virus being something that could happen, the dead magically rising not.

In George A Romero's Dead series there was only one explanation ever given, it was in the second movie. Ken Foree said (as he did again in the remake), "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth". Even Romero himself admitted this was the actual explanation.
Today the zombies are officially virus. The synopsis of the movies, and sometimes the movies themselves make sure the audience is well aware of this fact.

Day of the Dead seems to be a more accurate remake than Dawn, even featuring most of the actual characters. The Zombies supposedly will move slower yet again.
However it is said it will be an "outbreak" or yet another virus.

I feel this takes away from Zombie movies. The novelty of the original Dead series is that you never knew what was going on. The audience was as bewildered as the characters. "Why the heck are the dead rising".

In Dawn a series of Television shows we see (until eventually only static is on the airways) show the horrid confusion and irrationality of the humans. However due to a lack of explanation, the audience too shares this confusion. We never know if it will stop, or how.

With the virus, brings explanation, and brings the story "down to earth". However it removes the fear and tension brought on by Romero's Zombies. Truly this is not the only thing that sets him apart, but I feel it is one thing that aids good zombie films.

in night of the living dead, there's something on the radio about a satellite crashing and releasing radiation. that is the tentative explanation for the recently dead to begin walking and feeding on the living in romero's movies

First off, 28 Days Later was NOT a zombie film. They weren't dead, they didn't eat people, they ran, etc. etc. And second, mystical zombies. Night Of The Living Dead only said that the satellite was believed to have caused the zombies, it was never confirmed, and Romero has said on many occasions (including DVD commentaries) that the reason for the zombie invasion in his films was NEVER given.

SilentType said:
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth" thing never made any since to me, because hell is supposed to be a place the people's souls go to, not their bodies. So if there was no more room in hell there would be souls without bodies wandering the earth instead of bodies without souls. See what I'm saying?

Where would the souls go if they weren't allowed into hell? They would return to their bodies and become re-animated.

Zombies are zombies that simple, I don't care if they run or walk slowly(like that is scary). As long as its interesting people will see it.

I prefer no explanation, the only time I liked it was in Resident Evil (the game) and that's only because it gave us badass villains like Wisker.

I like explanations in everything, zombies included, because things always happen for a reason.
I prefer the virus deal, but it can either way, as long as it makes sense..even the non-explanation needs to make sense in my book.

cryptic name said:
in night of the living dead, there's something on the radio about a satellite crashing and releasing radiation. that is the tentative explanation for the recently dead to begin walking and feeding on the living in romero's movies
That's right, there is the satellite.

Revolver_Ocelot said:
I didn't think the Dawn zombies were Viral.
There wasn't any explanation.
I don't remember if it's said in the movie. But if you have the DVD special features, or read some official synopsis' of the story, they make a point to say it's some sort of virus. Even the storyline, which only has bitten people re-animate (as opposed to Romero's in which all dead re-animate) suggests it's a virus.

I prefer mystical. Viral made a good twist at first, but you can't beat the classics.

I prefer Viral. But in my opinion, I prefer it not to be explained. It leaves more mystery as to why/how the dead are up and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"