Warrior Nun

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
warrior-nun-netflix-review.jpg

Warrior Nun revolves around the story of "a 19-year-old woman who wakes up in a morgue with a new lease on life and a divine artifact embedded in her back. She discovers she is now part of an ancient order that has been tasked with fighting demons on Earth, and powerful forces representing both heaven and hell want to find and control her."

This is like if Buffy had chosen to become a Nun but while being a Slayer. Interesting enough concept, basic writing, 3-4 seasons worth of storylines rolled into 10 episodes...and apparently based off of a comic.

They get points alone for the name. I’m going to give it a look.

Hope the creator of this comic, Ben Dunn gets Ninja High School off the ground next as a show. Always wanted to see that in live action.

Saw the trailer for this, was only moderately interested, then looked at the comic creator’s twitter a few weeks ago out of curiosity, and discovered he was pro-police and pro-Trump (and, surprise, he deleted those tweets), and was all “hard pass”.

I mean, the creator was raised Catholic, and the premise of the show, from what I can gather, literally has the Catholic Church, a religious organization portrayed as the good guys, working incognito outside the law and going against evil corporations in league with the forces of hell. “Christianity”, or what Ben Dunn considers to be Christianity, is the only good path, and anything that goes against that is “pagan”.

Also, just look at the guy’s publishing label and see some of the other work he does. Very telling.

Even as someone with ever evolving Christian beliefs, imposing Western Christianity on the “unclean” as the only authority on what is right in the world is very ****ing idiotic and dangerous.

Last edited:
Saw the trailer for this, was only moderately interested, then looked at the comic creator’s twitter a few weeks ago out of curiosity, and discovered he was pro-police and pro-Trump (and, surprise, he deleted those tweets), and was all “hard pass”.

The comic creator has nothing to do with the show from what I've read. They only used the general story as a base and created their own take (the halo is original). The showrunner whose adapted it is practically the total opposite of the comic creator.

Last edited:

I mean, the creator was raised Catholic, and the premise of the show, from what I can gather, literally has the Catholic Church, a religious organization portrayed as the good guys, working incognito outside the law and going against evil corporations in league with the forces of hell. “Christianity”, or what Ben Dunn considers to be Christianity, is the only good path, and anything that goes against that is “pagan”.

Also, just look at the guy’s publishing label and see some of the other work he does. Very telling.

Even as someone with ever evolving Christian beliefs, imposing Western Christianity on the “unclean” as the only authority on what is right in the world is very ****ing idiotic and dangerous.

In short, avoid this ****ing show.

Oh he’s one of those. That’s disappointing. Second thoughts now.

I've seen the first three episodes. I'm enjoying it. Not gonna lie, I am a sucker for christian mythology type stuff, so it is definitely my jam.

As for the creator, I don't think he is involved too much. They essentially killed his main character in the first episode, with Ava being a new character.

While Shotgun Mary is apparently a lesbian in the comics, I'm not thinking Shannon was, as is very much implied with what I've seen so far

And it definitely doesn't feel as if it is big propaganda for the church. Definitely hints at some corruption, especially with their emphasis on Lillith's family supporting the church.

Plus, not so subtly telling us Ava was killed by her caretaker nun

Saw the first 3 episodes too and yeah its really nice.
As much as i loath religion, i like the religious mythology stuff too...it is cool.

Ben Dunn is a mess but i dont think he has much influence on the show.
So i can enjoy it.

I liked it. A couple of the middle episodes are a bit slow, but it ends strong. There are a couple of twists near the end and it is clearly set up for another season.

I actually thought this show might be dubbed or subtitled since it was filmed in Spain and the lead actress is Portuguese, but it is in English.
The lead actress (Alba Baptista) is good, not even a hint of an accent, and easy on the eyes.:gngl:

I liked it too.
English speaking show in Europe which gives the show a foreign feel (for none Euro viewer) but not too much.
Several twists, no teen drama, no lame teen romance, no angst, overall OK story, no anti or pro Church stuff.
The lead actress is cute and her acting adequate, she reminds me of Helen Page.
Edit : the nuns full battle gear looks good with the chain mail mask, leather and robe.

The comic creator has nothing to do with the show from what I've read. They only used the general story as a base and created their own take (the halo is original). The showrunner whose adapted it is practically the total opposite of the comic creator.

I've seen the first three episodes. I'm enjoying it. Not gonna lie, I am a sucker for christian mythology type stuff, so it is definitely my jam.

As for the creator, I don't think he is involved too much. They essentially killed his main character in the first episode, with Ava being a new character.

While Shotgun Mary is apparently a lesbian in the comics, I'm not thinking Shannon was, as is very much implied with what I've seen so far

And it definitely doesn't feel as if it is big propaganda for the church. Definitely hints at some corruption, especially with their emphasis on Lillith's family supporting the church.

Saw the first 3 episodes too and yeah its really nice.
As much as i loath religion, i like the religious mythology stuff too...it is cool.

Ben Dunn is a mess but i dont think he has much influence on the show.
So i can enjoy it.

Well, that’s reassuring.

As someone who’s just looking for a fun, entertaining show with some elements of world-building, playing with certain mythology, somewhat interesting character dynamics and good action (from I could gather from the trailer), is that what this show is, or not? Is it a good time waster, or just a waste of time?

For anyone else who’s watched the show, is Primal Slayer’s description of the show in her earlier post pretty accurate? If so, I might check it out.

I mean, my biggest complaints about the first three episodes is that there is not enough Shotgun Mary, especially with the group. Definitely think it is a bit of a slower show than the trailer suggested, but again, I'm only 3 episodes in.

I wrapped this show up last night after making my way through it over the past three days. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I did suspect that one twist (Ariel?) as soon as the character was shown in the cave.

Can't quite fathom why that character was cutting down Demons though if he's supposed to be the leader of them? I guess that's more to be explained in their second season.

Shannon may not have been, but I think they're setting Ava up to take that role.

Keep watching!

Several twists, no teen drama, no lame teen romance, no angst, overall OK story, no anti or pro Church stuff.
The lead actress is cute and her acting adequate, she reminds me of Helen Page.
Oh I don't know, there's an element of teen drama between the lead and that young lad that she meets. Thankfully it isn't too much, but it's certainly there. I presume you also meant Ellen Page, rather than Helen? :p

I mean, my biggest complaints about the first three episodes is that there is not enough Shotgun Mary, especially with the group. Definitely think it is a bit of a slower show than the trailer suggested, but again, I'm only 3 episodes in.
Mary features more into the later episodes, she's certainly not a mere supporting character.

Just finished the first episode. What little hints of mythology are dropped are great. Definitely a little slow due to setting things up, but I’m definitely invested enough to go forward with the show. More or less what I was expecting after watching that trailer (though a little more character driven than I was expecting), but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Any show that can invest me in a character dying, her relationship with another character and what their relationship was within the first few minutes of the episode deserves some special props.

Also, the main actress looks and sounds like someone did a Pokémon fusion of Ellen Page and Hailee Steinfeld. Just wanted to point that out.

Just got done binging this myself and honestly I also enjoyed it for the most part. I think 10 episodes was way too many episodes for this show though, because it really did started to drag in the middle, but it picked up towards the end and I definitely want to see how that cliffhanger ending plays out in Season 2. I did like the lead girl too, because she was cute and likable and even had a little bit of a Ellen Page/Emilia Clarke thing going for her. I could have cared less about that pretty, buff Italian dude though who was the love interest and I was glad when his character was gone for the remainder of the show, because I didn't find their romance interesting at all.

Came up on my recommended viewing. I'll give it a watch tomorrow

Watched 3 more episodes. If you have issues with Daredevil, you may want to skip this show.

I got an Ava and Mary bonding episode, so I am happy. And the two episodes before definitely satisfied the action quotient.

Watched 3 more episodes. If you have issues with Daredevil, you may want to skip this show.

I got an Ava and Mary bonding episode, so I am happy. And the two episodes before definitely satisfied the action quotient.

Are you referring to quality, length, tone, violence or religious discussion? Or all of them?

I’m actually kind of pleasantly surprised by it’s portrayal of Christian doctrine so far. From what I know, it surprisingly more accurately represents actual Christianity than Christian films or media do. :funny:

I am referring to the pace of the show.

I am referring to the pace of the show.

Not a problem for me, then. Slower pacing only bothers me if episodes are wasted to bide time doing nothing until the end of the season, characters or plot don’t progress, storylines and characters are wasted, and I felt like I wasted my time with the show (coughdefenderscough).

As long as I’m having a good time in the moment, and feel like I could go back and rewatch the show again at a later date, the show is a success for me.

Well, I finished it. I really liked it. The cast is great, especially once they are all together and interacting. Special shout out to Kristina Tonteri-Young. For her first role, she nailed the big scene with Beatrice reading warrior nun diaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"