Superman Returns Was it Routh, or the story that made you dislike the film?

second of all, the cape is not the only reason I'm not buying it... I hate the fact that I have to save the city constantly. I realize that it's an important part of the Superman lore, but what's the point of doing it when Metallo bruises you up a bit, and goes to destroy the sity, then you get back up and play a continuous catchup and "heal" the part of the city that he destroyed while he destroys another part of the city... that gets boring really fast.

well, duh... but this is a video game. not real life, so it should be "fun and games".

jesus..KAk you really need to take a step back..i was messing with ya.

Take a break from the hype. dude.

:)

kakarot069 said:
second of all, the cape is not the only reason I'm not buying it... I hate the fact that I have to save the city constantly. I realize that it's an important part of the Superman lore, but what's the point of doing it when Metallo bruises you up a bit, and goes to destroy the sity, then you get back up and play a continuous catchup and "heal" the part of the city that he destroyed while he destroys another part of the city... that gets boring really fast.

I don't get it, that is what Superman is, A Savior. What do you do in the game, you save the city and the people in it. Metallo isn't the only villian in the game anyway. That whole saving the people and the city while it constantly is getting destroyed by the bad guys sounds alot like STM2, STM3, and Superman Returns. :wow:

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
and doing a good job.. now for my billy connolly impression.

You are obsessed with Billy Connolly.

Showtime029 said:
I don't get it, that is what Superman is, A Savior. What do you do in the game, you save the city and the people in it. Metallo isn't the only villian in the game anyway. That whole saving the people and the city while it constantly is getting destroyed by the bad guys sounds alot like STM2, STM3, and Superman Returns. :wow:
I completely understand that, and it's cool theoretically, but when it interupts the gameplay and I have to do it constantly, it gets annoying, and makes the game tedious, IMO.

and, uh, what's STM2 and STM3?

kakarot069 said:
I completely understand that, and it's cool theoretically, but when it interupts the gameplay and I have to do it constantly, it gets annoying, and makes the game tedious, IMO.

and, uh, what's STM2 and STM3?

I am hoping you are allowed to fly around and pick out some small crimes. I believe I read somewhere there is a small arc where you can save cats.
Sorry typo. Superman 2 and Superman 3.

Showtime029 said:
You are obsessed with Billy Connolly.

billystage2yg8.gif

You know...Robocop has the greatest impression of me, it's very wind swept and interesting..just like my hair.

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
billystage2yg8.gif

You know...Robocop has the greatest impression of me, it's very wind swept and interesting..just like my hair.

He looks like David Coulier's brother.

kakarot069 said:

You must have never played Ultimate Spider-Man then haha. That game actually has crime quotas to fill, before you can progress the story. Sometimes it's simple stuff like stopping speeding cars, or stopping a mugging. But when you have to fill your quota with a "tour"...those get annoying when you have to fight ten armed thugs at once, with guns and swords. Then there are the obligatory races against the human torch, and my least favorite, the chase segements, where you have to maintain a certain proximity during a chase, in order to not fail. And some chases are long (such as Venom vs. Electro and Spider-Man vs. Firebug).

I don't know why, but developers are still very stuck on the whole fetch quest/menial task, style of gaming. That's why Spider-Man 2 remains the best adventure based coimc book video game. That, and Batman Vengance. I know it's short, but that game played exactly like a super hero game should play. No tedious tasks, and enough diverse action and boss fights to make it a worthy experince. But now onto the matter at hand.

I never said a person was immature, for liking bright costumes or the such. That is merely your own choice of context. Personally, I saw Sky High in the movie theatres, with my brother. I was 22 at the time. So i'm no canidate for speaking about what qualifies as "mature." I love to have fun. But, I am wise enough to know what will wash with the GENERAL AUDIENCE. Which is why I said that super hero movies remove more bright elements, from the character, in terms of aesthetic. I have no qualms with the original costumes. Or else I wouldn't have so many fan films bookmarked and favorited on my Youtube profile. I do however realize, that mainstream society, isn't going to see a super hero flick, where Wolverine dons bright yellow and blue lyrca or latex. It just wouldn't hold the believability necessary, to capture the casual audience. Like I said, comic films are made for the general audience, with some respect to comic fans. It is far from being the other way around. Also, whoever said that Superman's cotume never changed, needs to look at the original 1939 suit, then the Fleisher suit, then the 60's suit, and the modern suit. Though from the 60's to now, the change of the aesthetic hasn't been much....it is there.

Golden Age
goldenage.jpg

blue.jpg

Fleischer Golden Age
fleischer2.jpg

Post Golden Age
eagle.jpg

goldenage-back.jpg

Silver Age
1953.jpg

Modern Age
comics-back.jpg

i'm not going to go on. You can see the entire article here http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=sr-costume-compare
There is no set consistency for the style, or tone of his costume. The brightness and darkness of the suit, has fluctuated and continues to do so, through the ages.

okay, just to make it clear, I honestly don't think anyone has ever said that the suit has never changed...

and corrrection:
that bottom pic is NOT modern. You wanna see modern? look at Jim Lee's work, and not Guineses' muscle bound monkey crap.

kakarot069 said:
okay, just to make it clear, I honestly don't think anyone has ever said that the suit has never changed...

and corrrection:
that bottom pic is NOT modern. You wanna see modern? look at Jim Lee's work, and not Guineses' muscle bound monkey crap.

He's talking about color of the suit not body structure of this version of Superman. :oldrazz:

1)All of the reference to the color of the suit, had driven me to infer, that people are assuming that the chromatic appearence, has never varied. So, I am proving otherwise.

2)Ed Guiness drew the first arc of Superman/Batman, and that is a recent book (relatively speaking). I merely chose images available. The large muscles are just a trademark of Ed's general style, and perhaps some what of his view of Superman, as this huge, muscular figure. Given that my misaimed point, was about the suits, not the art, your complaint is neither here nor there good sir. That is strictly preference and in this case, is unrelated to the matter at hand. Yes Jim Lee is an amazing artist blah blah blah...but I wasn't talking art, I was talking suit dynamics.

3)I actually never directly asked what people disliked in general, about the film, or else that would have been the thread title. I asked if it was Routh or the Story (and indirectly I asked if it was perhaps Singer) that made people dislike the movie. I guess I was vauge enough to invite other views on reasons for hating the movie, but I never imagined it to be as petty as "the colors are too many shades off." For me, i'm just glad he's still in Red and Blue, with tights, the S shield and the antiquated underwear look. They could be giving us lazy suits (Spider-Man 3 Symbiote black costume spidey) or left field offshoots (leatherized X-Men). For all of the more drastic changes or lack there of, that most comic movies provide...I figured that a slightly darker leotard and cape color, would be the least of a persons worries. If it takes that little to disturb ones expectations then believe me when I say my pity for such a soul, is absolutely genuine.

don't get me wrong though... I'm all for darker colors too, but not to the point where the color distinction is non existant.

like I said before, the colors are fine, it's the movie filter that royally screwed it up.

Oh please do not take me to be upset or something. I'm just pretty vocal and a perhaps sometimes, a bit too obstinate. My word choice can at times imply more than I intend to express. I much prefer to have my relationship with other posters on the hype, remain tenable and as agreeable as possible. There is no reason to always agree. Human nature dictates otherwise. So if I seem a bit combative, then I apologize. I agree that the entire film was rather dark, even considering that most of the action sequences were at night or in darkened environments. However, I do not think that affected the general look of the costume. The plane scene and the hospital scene show that the costume is not as dark, as some here lament it to be.

No no no, it's okay. I know you're not upset.

well, I look at the suits that were photographed and what we saw in the movie, and to me, a filter was overused quite a bit.

kakarot069 said:
don't get me wrong though... I'm all for darker colors too, but not to the point where the color distinction is non existant.

like I said before, the colors are fine, it's the movie filter that royally screwed it up.

Fleischer, Fleischer, FLEISCHER!

kakarot069 said:
No no no, it's okay. I know you're not upset.

well, I look at the suits that were photographed and what we saw in the movie, and to me, a filter was overused quite a bit.

Yeah different shots show different color variation in the suit

superman_returns_tof1.jpg

superman_returns_199529g.jpg

You can see that in the Atlas shot, he looks much brighter, than in the promo photo. However, in both shots you can see that the red lining of the cape, is much more vivid than the dark red of the suit. I think the fluctuation may actually be based on the number of suits they had to make. They used something like 80 suits, 30 boots, 50 capes and 20 belts, because the material they are made from, not only easily tears, but it easily deforms (too tight at first, but then quickly, too lose to fit right and look right). The frequency of suit change may have given too many subtle but noticable color changes, so perhaps they chose a dark filter, to mask these variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"