• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Was It The Right Thing To Do?

USMC

Avenger
Reaction score
On New Years Day, my hubbie and I had just finished walking our boxer when we saw a pit bull wandering on the sidewalk near someone's yard. A passerby asked if we knew who's dog it was and we said "No." We turned back, sighed, and knew we weren't going to just let the dog wander around, especially in a neighborhood with small kids. So we took our dog home, went back and went up to the dog with a biscuit and a leash.

The dog had no tags, no ID, it was not neutered, smelled and looked like it hadn't been bathed in a few months, and ate the biscuit like it hadn't eaten in a few days. We took it home in our yard, called the SPCA and Animal Control and, it being New Years, no one was there. We couldn't keep him with us overnight because our boxer wouldn't have gotten along with him. So we took the dog to the shelter to put him in one of those drop-off boxes. Anyhow, someone was there and took the dog.

Coming home, we saw our neighbor from 2 doors down out looking around and then realized that the dog was HER pit bull. She keeps it tied out in the front of her yard all the time, with a big bucket of kibbel, and that's about it. Earlier this year, the dog had no leash and ran into the street and got hit by a car ( the dog had broken it's leg, I heard, but was otherwise fine).

Anyhow, we didn't tell her we had just taken what was most likely her dog to the pound.

Was that right or wrong?

You're a chick? lolz I had no idea

Seriously though, shouldn't you tell her? Thats pretty messed up.

Maxwell Smart said:

LMAO....Dood, are you like, on extra strength idiot pills today or what?

She obviously doesn't care about it, you're in the right

Mr Sparkle said:
LMAO....Dood, are you like, on extra strenght idiot pills today or what?
lol, my smile hurts from all this extra laughing today thanks to him, lol

Maxwell Smart said:

Seriously though, shouldn't you tell her? Thats pretty messed up.

No.

And I just feel that the dog was obviously mistreated. If you're a dog owner, you'd understand.

You certainly did the right thing no doubt about that.

Now telling her is a moral dilemma of course. I personally hate it when someone buys/gets a dog and either puts it in a little 4 foot enclosure or chains it up to a tree and the dog lives the rest of it's life there. I mean seriously just don't get a dog if that's what you intend to do with it...get a picture of a dog instead.

But now that person may not be the type to just leave it out all of the time and may indeed spend time with the dog and loves it dearly.

I would judge it on how I've seen them act with the dog in the past...if they consider the dog an annoyance I wouldn't tell them a thing...but if they are out playing with it a lot I'd tell them.

Besides if I lost my dog one of the first places I'd check would be the shelter.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
lol, my smile hurts from all this extra laughing today thanks to him, lol

He's going out of his way to prove he deserves a place at the table with blind_fury, JAL, GAH and company, isn't he?

I think you did the right thing by taking the dog into the shelter, USMC. Maybe if she has to pay a fine to get him out then she'll learn to take better care of him. If not, maybe someone who will give her a good home will adopt him. I probably would have told her as a common courtesy, personally, but that's my style.

jag

tomahawk53 said:
You certainly did the right thing no doubt about that.

Now telling her is a moral dilemma of course. I personally hate it when someone buys/gets a dog and either puts it in a little 4 foot enclosure or chains it up to a tree and the dog lives the rest of it's life there. I mean seriously just don't get a dog if that's what you intend to do with it...get a picture of a dog instead.

But now that person may not be the type to just leave it out all of the time and may indeed spend time with the dog and loves it dearly.

I would judge it on how I've seen them act with the dog in the past...if they consider the dog an annoyance I wouldn't tell them a thing...but if they are out playing with it a lot I'd tell them.

Besides if I lost my dog one of the first places I'd check would be the shelter.

Well, ya, from the past year, the BEST we can tell is that the dog spends most of the time tied up in the front yard (which is now illegal here in California), and just by the evidence of the state the dog was in when we found him. A Pit Bull, not nuetered, no tags, no ID, not bathed in a long time (that was very apparant), etc.

We came to the decision that if she wants her dog so much, she can check the shelter and PAY for it. At the very least, the dog's got a bath, a warm place to sleep, and a good meal now.

And ya, it's been 3 days and she hasn't knocked on our door (we are only two houses over), there's no signs posted anywhere, etc. Guess she really loved that dog... :cmad:

jaguarr said:
I probably would have told her as a common courtesy, personally, but that's my style.

jag

Snap. :o

Not to bring this love fest down or anything but... they might off the dog

BRUTAL said:
Not to bring this love fest down or anything but... they might off the dog

Nah, unless an animal is physically beyond hope, the shelter here in San Diego doesn't kill the animals, they have a 100% adoption rate. Joan Kroc (Mrs. McDonald's) donated millions to the shelter when she died, it's like a college campus for animals. :heart:

Wise choice dude, if she doesn't deserve it she souldn't have it.

yes, you did. Its not as if the dog is an object she bought and doesn't take care of. It is a living thing. She has a responsibility to it. It isn't a piece of property. You very much so did the right thing.

this is total crap.
you should have told her.
if she really didn't care she wouldn't pay the hundred and something dollars to spring it.
but at least then it would have been her decision.
and you KNOW no one is going to adopt that damned dog and they're going to put it down, that's what happens to ALL the pit bulls in my area because there's a breed restriction on them.

I'm guessing it was the use of the word 'hubbie' that caused Maxwell Smart's confusion. anyway, I agree with everyone here that you most definitely did the right thing.

if it really was a pit bul, itll be offed.

People who leave their dogs chained up outside the entire day make me sick.

I couldn't live without dogs.

If you lived on Wisteria Lane, she'd be plotting your death while banging a plumber right now.

Also, how did you get married in California? Didn't they do the fascism thing out there, too?

If you lived on Wisteria Lane, she'd be plotting your death while banging a plumber right now.

Also, how did you get married in California? Didn't they do the fascism thing out there, too?
I looked at your avatar while reading this post. I'm scared :csad:.

Goddam you have to walk the dog!

Don't you ever see the Dog Whisperer?!

That man is a ****ing genius.

you were right USMC..i appluad you!

if the dog owner cares about the dog she can go retrieve him from the pound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"