Watchmen - DC Animated Movie

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score

It will no doubt make Alan Moore put a hex on someone, but given how mixed I was on the Snyder film, I’m here for it. I just hope the art style at least comes close to emulating Gibbons.

Also, Crisis seems like a given, but I’m really hoping this one is multi-part too. You can’t knock out that story in 80/90-ish minutes.

Yeah... I need more info before getting too interested. I was never really into this graphic novel to be honest, so I kind of wish this slot was being used for something that hasn't been mined already.

As someone who’s a big fan of the graphic novel I’m not too sure how to feel about this. On one hand, while I think the Snyder movie did a fairly respectable translation of the comic to movies I do think there was still too many issues with that movie to prevent that from being a definitive adaption so I do think there’s an opportunity to do a better adaption of the series than what that movie did. Though on the other hand, Warner Animation has had a pretty dismal track record as of late with their DC movies, which so far has been pretty forgettable & animation has been pretty bad and cheap. So I’m not expecting much.

As much as I like to think the WB animation team will likely bring their A-game to this project because it’s based on arguably the most celebrated comic of all time I could just as easily see them screwing this up, and making another mediocre movie with cheap animation. Watchmen, given the prestige that it holds, deserves the all-star treatment with quality animation, voice acting, and music but…this is direct-to-video release which means this is not going to get any of that. At the very least the animation isn’t going to be high quality and I don’t see them fairing too well in their approach to adapting. So I don’t have much faith in them to do this properly. I’d love to be proven wrong though, but I’d much rather see them try a property that hasn’t been adapted.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm waiting to see what the animation style looks like. It's gotta be more ambitious than the common DC animated movie.

I'm pretty meh on the Watchmen movie, much as I love Alan Moore. I might pick it up, depending on reviews.

The Crisis movie interests me more. I see that one's under the 'DC Universe Movie' banner currently used for the Tomorrowverse, rather than the 'DC Animated Movie' used for standalones. Seems pretty soon, though. I mean, including Warworld we're only seven releases (and just six stories) into the Tomorrowverse. I wonder if they've been told by Gunn to wrap it up quickly, similar to when the DCAMU had to bring Apokolips War forwards. Whatever, COIE definitely needs to be a multi-parter.

With all these confirmed UFO reports, and the growing mistrust of authority, I wouldn’t be surprised if the ending of Watchmen (fake alien invasion) becomes a reality, so this is pretty timely!

COIE movie is exciting , plz get Fleischer Supes and BTAS Batman (Rip Kevin)

Wonder if we'll get an animated Keaton cameo in COIE?? They've already had his Batman briefly meet main continuity Batman in the comics...

Pretty hyped for both of these honestly. I was hoping they would do the "Emerald Twilight" saga from the Green Lantern comics, but I guess they kinda mixed that with a new take with the last GL animated film featuring John Stewart. Give my boy Kyle some love!

Also, I think an animated Lobo movie should have happened already! Especially with DC doing a lot of R Rated stuff.

Wonder if we'll get an animated Keaton cameo in COIE?? They've already had his Batman briefly meet main continuity Batman in the comics...

I remember when they approached him to play The Joker in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and he declined. I guess the pay isn't worth his while (most likely scale) compared to the Pixar and DreamWorks animations he has done.

I remember when they approached him to play The Joker in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and he declined.
Huh, I did not know that. That would have been really interesting (might even have persuaded me to buy it!).

Let them learn from The Killing Joke's mistakes on how to not adapt an animated Alan Moore graphic novel.

Let them learn from The Killing Joke's mistakes on how to not adapt an animated Alan Moore graphic novel.

I mean if you skip the first 20 minutes, it's pretty good, at least I think so.

To each their own. The rest of the movie I think sucks. The animation is still pretty abysmal.

I thought it was pretty accurate to the comic. Animation was stiff in some scenes for sure though.

I thought it was pretty accurate to the comic. Animation was stiff in some scenes for sure though.
That’s fair, and I’m happy you enjoyed it bit man…that really needed a movie level budget to due justice to Bolland’s incredible art. It was accurate to the comic but the animation/direction was just so uninspired.

Yeah. You can't make the same mistake with Watchmen here, it needs to have fantastic animation for the visual storytelling element alone.

That’s fair, and I’m happy you enjoyed it bit man…that really needed a movie level budget to due justice to Bolland’s incredible art. It was accurate to the comic but the animation/direction was just so uninspired.

I can understand being disappointed in the animation/art style. I saw the movie in theaters, and it was just a fun experience. Maybe if I watched it recently, I would be a little more critical of it haha.

I do think they should give Watchmen a good budget. If it's not associated with Gunn's DC, they may low ball it. Unless it's in Gunn's Elseworlds. I know Gunn is a huge Alan Moore fan though.

Finally, a movie that Snyder lovers and Snyder haters can join together about in saying "Give me a break!"

I see hardly anyone really liking this, the best reaction will be it was an OK other one but really not needed, there will be more reactions of either the original comic was never actually that excellent or the comic was and still is excellent but only as a comic, just not made to be and should not be adapted to screen, really doesn't work as well in any other form.

I mean, I'm all for being apprehensive about this, but maybe we should wait until we see some lick of footage before throwing out judgment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"