Watchmen Ending: How should it be adapted?

when it comes to destroying NY, i would love it if they can pull off the exploding space alien, that'd just be a lot of fun. but i'd understand if they changed it to something different, that might be a bit tough for a general audience to swallow.

as for veidt.....veidt must live. no comprimising.

Keep it the same or it'll suck. It has to be the monster in New York which works out perfectly, and then get undone by Rorschach's last act. This entire book is amazing to the last drop...and that's the last drop...and my favorite part. I really hope they keep it the same.

So you don't think pinning the disaster on Doc Manhattan is a good idea?

Have you read the Tse script?

Even in that copy, the Rorschach diary scene was still there.

I haven't read the script, but I don't see how the Doctor Manhattan thing could work. I mean, wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of Viedt's goal? Making Doctor Manhattan into a dangerous enemy sounds more likely to CAUSE global destruction than prevent it. I mean, if anything, Doctor Manhattan being on the side of the U.S., and being so much more powerful than anything that any other country could throw at them, would, more likely than not, be the closest thing to ensuring that nuclear war WOULDN'T break out.

Moment, Tse's script from November '06 is out?! Where?! I can't find it anywhere! I'm sad... :csad:

How about this for a change that could work to keep the ending intact yet still have a small "victory" over Viedt.

The last scene could have, say, Dan and Laurie, in their new disquises, walking down a repairing New York. The walk past a similar newstand and Dan notices something: The latest issue of The New Frontiersman, it's cover saying in huge letters, "Who Watches the Watchmen: The Diary of Rorschach, the Last Superhero." Dan pays for it, and they walk away.

How about this for a change that could work to keep the ending intact yet still have a small "victory" over Viedt.

The last scene could have, say, Dan and Laurie, in their new disquises, walking down a repairing New York. The walk past a similar newstand and Dan notices something: The latest issue of The New Frontiersman, it's cover saying in huge letters, "Who Watches the Watchmen: The Diary of Rorschach, the Last Superhero." Dan pays for it, and they walk away.

Hm... how would that be a small victory over Viedt? If you're implying that it would publicly reveal the true nature of the alien menace, then that would totally screw up the ending, since it's important that everyone agrees to silence to preserve the peace Viedt created. If not, then where's the small victory come from?

er, no.

I much prefer the ambiguity of the comic.

Don't know what a "Tse Script" is.

I think it's important that Doc Manhattan agree to the plan.

If Veidt dies, the whole story is pointless.

Agreed, besides I want to see the end of his last dialogue with Dr. Manhattan and his reaction to "Nothing ever ends". I hope they won't kill him :up:

Ta-da! Uploaded for your viewing pleasure:

Hayter's third effort (2003):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RNFK6LNE

...and Tse's first attempt from last summer:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OPNJAKEE

To access the files, enter the three letter code in the box alongside & hit Download.

I am aware of the existence of a further Tse script reportedly produced only six months or so ago, but which I am not able to disclose in its entirety. The only major deviations between this and the version that I have linked to, however, are the fact that this rewrite returns the setting to 1985, accordingly includes scenes with Nixon and his advisors, features an extra opening montage set to the tune of Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin' depicting the rise of the costumed hero in American culture, and the fact that Rorschach no longer terrorizes the added army officer and hooker characters as a means of gaining access to Dr Manhattan's quarters. The major dialogue, significant character interactions, and importantly the ending all remain the same.

Let's see what the final shooting script actually brings, eh...?

Give it to me!:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

To access the files, enter the three letter code in the box alongside & hit Download.

I am aware of the existence of a further Tse script reportedly produced only six months or so ago, but which I am not able to disclose in its entirety. The only major deviations between this and the version that I have linked to, however, are the fact that this rewrite returns the setting to 1985, accordingly includes scenes with Nixon and his advisors, features an extra opening montage set to the tune of Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin' depicting the rise of the costumed hero in American culture, and the fact that Rorschach no longer terrorizes the added army officer and hooker characters as a means of gaining access to Dr Manhattan's quarters. The major dialogue, significant character interactions, and importantly the ending all remain the same.

Awesome! Thanks!

Thanks and I hope that in the next weeks you'll be able to send also this new draft.

The only end to this movie would be Veidt talking with Manhattan. The topic comes up that Veidt asks how it ends and Manhattan gives the wonderful line of "Nothing ever ends." Have Veidt ask "What?" and cut to black or just cut to black.

Then after the credits have the whole journal of Rorschach.

Ending with "Nothing ever ends" would actually be pretty cool, though the actual ending would work as well. Since it is, of course, the actual ending.

The comic book ending must stay. And by ending I literally mean "ending" - as in the last page and the "nothing ever ends" bit. I want to see THAT on the screen.

Hm... how would that be a small victory over Viedt? If you're implying that it would publicly reveal the true nature of the alien menace, then that would totally screw up the ending, since it's important that everyone agrees to silence to preserve the peace Viedt created. If not, then where's the small victory come from?

What I was thinking is that most don't really take the New Frontiersman seriously--it's basically a wacko right-wing fascist magazine to most.

So it would be out there for people to see, but most would rather just accept what's happen and either dismiss it as a crazed conspiracy theory (people would still assume he killed Moloch and just about everyone hated him and thought he was insane) and nothing more.

But the truth is still there for people to see. Viedt would win over-all, but there's potential for things to change. Like Manhattan said, "Nothing ever ends."

And let me say that I'm not completely supporting this, I'm just thinking of something that would make it more of a "win" while still keeping the ambiguity of the original ending. Plus it could be enferred that Rorschach journal does get published in the end.

T

...The only major deviations between this and the version that I have linked to, however, are the fact that this rewrite returns the setting to 1985, accordingly includes scenes with Nixon and his advisors, features an extra opening montage set to the tune of Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin' depicting the rise of the costumed hero in American culture....

...Let's see what the final shooting script actually brings, eh...?

If Snyder's film begins with a expository montage set to "The Times They Are A-Changin'", then I will take a freakin' hostage on opening night. I totally trust Snyder's sensibilities -- he gets the material and I think his vision is way more dynamic than he gets credit for -- but HOLY BALLS the film should not begin with a montage or that tune.

1) DON'T GIVE US AN EXPOSITORY MONTAGE. A large part of what makes "Watchmen" awesome is the slow, deliberate manner in which this bizarro universe is revealed to the audience, alongside with the narrative itself. If Alan Moore began the comic with: "Ok, gang, this story takes place where the U.S. won the Vietnam war because a man-god won it for us, super-heroes once reigned supreme but now are obsolete, and here's how the geo-political landscape hangs in balance... So now let's begin our story..." -- then the comic would not be the seminal work that it is. It might kind of totally suck, actually (it's why the first Matrix is cool and the others are abhorrent). And if the movie goes this route, then it will not stand on its own merits and be a disservice to the source material.

2) DON'T GIVE US "THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'". Avoid the predictable, please! Given that Snyder is placing this film in the 80s (God bless him), I would suggest that he take a few bong-loads and check out the soundtracks to "New Barbarians" and a little film called "Dawn of the Dead" -- both by Claudio Simonetti, of Goblin -- and proceed accordingly.

If Veidt dies, the whole story is pointless.

I agree. I'd seriously boycott the film if I found out he lived (or at least try to really, really hard not to see it). I wouldn't want to support it.

Hayter's ending was better. Hell, Hayter's whole script was better.

So today I have done reading Tse's summer '06 draft and it's an average script. It's too much "empty", only scene-beside-scene, it hasn't a "hurt". And the last act in the Antarctic is too much hurried. My rating is: 6/10.

Hey now, this is just an idea I had. What if rather then using the brain of a random psychic who died, what if Ozy just cloned his own brain hundreds of times to the point of creating creatures with psychic powers? In the comic they go through the effort with showing Ozy's dog thing that eugenics is advanced in their world and Dr. Manhattan's powers obviously include teleportation. Frankly, I really hope Snyder sticks with the cannon ending.

As I sad in another thread: Tse's ending is ****.
Owl ship crashing onto Veidt? Mother****er could dodge a bullet but he can't dodge an entire ****ing ship? Oh **** off. God damn hollywood ********s. I wasn't for killing him off at all but at least in Hayter's script he gets hit with something believeable. Jon just leaves? please.

If Snyder's film begins with a expository montage set to "The Times They Are A-Changin'", then I will take a freakin' hostage on opening night. I totally trust Snyder's sensibilities -- he gets the material and I think his vision is way more dynamic than he gets credit for -- but HOLY BALLS the film should not begin with a montage or that tune.

1) DON'T GIVE US AN EXPOSITORY MONTAGE. A large part of what makes "Watchmen" awesome is the slow, deliberate manner in which this bizarro universe is revealed to the audience, alongside with the narrative itself. If Alan Moore began the comic with: "Ok, gang, this story takes place where the U.S. won the Vietnam war because a man-god won it for us, super-heroes once reigned supreme but now are obsolete, and here's how the geo-political landscape hangs in balance... So now let's begin our story..." -- then the comic would not be the seminal work that it is. It might kind of totally suck, actually (it's why the first Matrix is cool and the others are abhorrent). And if the movie goes this route, then it will not stand on its own merits and be a disservice to the source material.

The comic also features chapters from a fictional memior that give extensive detail on *gasp* the rise of the costumed hero in American culture. I'm under the impression that the montage would deal with the Minute Men and contextualize the story. You have a better way to get that much important information across?

2) DON'T GIVE US "THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'". Avoid the predictable, please! Given that Snyder is placing this film in the 80s (God bless him), I would suggest that he take a few bong-loads and check out the soundtracks to "New Barbarians" and a little film called "Dawn of the Dead" -- both by Claudio Simonetti, of Goblin -- and proceed accordingly.

The main story may be set in the eighties, but a good portion of the story takes place in the sixties and deals with Vietnam, issues of political unrest, and Cold War America. Dylan goes along with this perfectly. Hell, the book quotes Dylan. In fact, I'd rather they used Desolation Row, as the lyrics have more to do with the plot and themes of the story.

That said, I agree that everyone in a key position on this film should be taking bong hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"